• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Show us your Ghetto growing gear.

Redneck grow set up is going alright. It's out in my garage seeing as I don't have a good place inside to setup. Temps are my main issue but with the lights on it stays about 75 degrees. Good use of some old RC tires, random boards, a dryer sheet box, and meat thermometer.

Simple is beautiful and functional. From the looks of your
plants, I'd say you are doing something right.
Good luck going forward.

[sub]Not bad for my first real try I guess. Should have about another month or so before I can start taking them outside so hopefully they are plenty big by then. I am a bit worried they are growing a bit slow, the bigger ones are roughly a month old.....[/sub]

[sub]Yikes, don't know where the small text came from....sorry.[/sub]

IMG_20120220_155020.jpg

Hi all,

im from Germany. I will show you my new Growing frame :)

This frame can have place up to 700 Plants

I have this year 450 in it ;)

The front is now open, normally it is a foil curtain at the front

Empty Frame: Date: 10 January 2012
ektfnmhb.jpg

Filled Frame: Date: 18 February 2012
6u6kmdcc.jpg

and the last Pic from 11 March 2012
6.JPG

one more :)
7.JPG

Regards from Germany ;)

Sehr gut, seven, your grow system looks very functional.
Nice start to a good grow season. :welcome: to the Hot Pepper
from the Pacific NorthWest USA!

Nice Cabinet, rs. Where re all the loose ends, sticking out nails,
ragged edges and duct tape? It will be too good for ghetto after
your upgrade!

Coconut/Perlite hydroponic project, see more in my Glog - http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/29134-darkb16a1s-cocoperlite-soilless-project/ .

17_brezen_habanero.jpg

Oh yeah, Shane! Great stuff! The lights in the tent with
the pepper plants is just too cool!

Oh yeah, Shane! Great stuff! The lights in the tent with the pepper plants is just too cool!
They look pretty damn ghetto at night...but like all Christmas lights they look WAY more ghetto by daylight. I'll try to post a few pics if I make it home before dark tonight.

Here are a few daytime pics...this doesn't show half of what I got going on...but you get the picture :rofl:

P1000537.jpg

P1000538.jpg

P1000539.jpg

P1000540.jpg

I took some of my 5 gallon containers and rigged them with Xmas lights through the drain holes and grocery bag.
P1000541.jpg

Gets pretty warm in there. It was almost 70 degrees in there last night when it was 40 degrees outside. Pretty amazing how much heat those little bulbs put out!

It's all too beautiful, man! What a great save in the cold weather :cheers:

I'm currently rigging up something to harden the plants off in... don't know how well it will work, but I'm too lazy and cheap to drive to the hardware store to pick up more wood, so, here goes nothing... will post pics later.

Decided to put them on the concrete this year. The temps are cool enough currently that they shouldn't cook during the day, and the concrete blocks and patio should help keep them a bit warmer into the night. Stuck some pvc pipes in the openings, stabilized it a bit by tying on a scrap piece of wood, then tucked plastic under one edge of the blocks and secured the other side with clamps. During the day the ends can be clamped open to allow for air flow. Plastic is thick enough that I shouldn't need to worry about burning the plants too much- this will be the intermediary between shade and direct sunlight.

IMGP3125.jpg

IMGP3126.jpg

Haha, most of the baccatums are already too tall for it. Oh well, I think they'll be fine at this point.

IMGP3130.jpg

I stuck my head inside of it and notice already that it's a few degrees warmer than the surrounding air. Should work out nicely...

Good work, Sync, should work out just fine. The concrete blocks are a great idea.

This wasn't very scientific... let's see... the 1/2inch PVC is 5' I believe, there's a little over a foot and a half of space between the cinderblocks with about 2 feet of clearance in the middle. I'm sure it could be scaled up, I actually like cinder blocks for building ghetto raised beds, at least in cooler areas.

Sync, from my experience doing almost this exact same thing a couple of seasons ago, watch out inside the frame for hot spots. I don't know what your lighting setup inside consists of, but my plants went from being under fluoros to a frame with plastic sheeting. I figured since the sheeting would block part of the light it would be a easy transition. It worked for the most part but I developed hot spots where the sheeting wasn't pulled tight enough and actually focus the light like a magnifying glass and burnt parts of plants to a crisp.

Back