• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Show Us Your Pubes! Group GLOG From The Rocoto Giveaway

I am starting this thread for folks who received some Pubescens seeds from me through the Pubescens giveaway. I figured it would be fun to see everyone's progress, plus have a general place to share any pics, growing techniques, and general Pubescens knowledge. I wish everyone great success in their gardens this year.

Even if you didn't receive seeds from me, and want to contribute info about your Pubescens plants this year, please feel free to share.

Wow. The Arequipeño's looking awesome Stetto - and that cluster is ridiculous.  Hope you get good set.   I have several Giant Arequipa that produced big pods last year, but not lots. It looks like they're going to produce more this year as better established OW plants, but jeez, nothing like that! 

Good to see the season coming around for you.

Well, the final ripening color of these Santa Natlias is still a mystery. The final color may end up red, after all. IDK, it's gone from yellow to orange, and now darkening up into what could eventually be red.

Attachments

• 20190721_085306.jpg
    20190721_085306.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 68
I've got 9 pubes growing this year, here is a photo of 4 of them - Manzano Rojo. All of them are taller than their tomato cages now but have been resistant to start podding up. I started spraying cold water on them before bedtime last night in an attempt to trick them into setting fruit and sure enough today two of them had set fruit - 7-10 pods each, it would appear upon inspection.

IMG_1486.jpeg

This is becoming a surprisingly good season for Rocotos for me. Zone 3 doesn't produce ripe anything this early in the game!

I give you...Rocoto Rojo!

20190725_092033.jpg

And that Arequipeño/Arequipa Giant seems to be settling in, no more blossom or podlet drop in days. If I can keep her healthy I'm looking at a bumper crop (yes, I got some bagged)!

Update on the "cluster" from Saturday...

20190725_092728.jpg

Also my Turbo and one of my Peruvian Reds are overachieving...

Oh, and I finally got that POS Cub Cadet to MOW!!!

Yeah this year is a success for me also. Other than the super tiny mini reds which is very strange. Them things are tiny and not nearly as hot as the mini reds i sampled last year. Im certain the huge number of cooler nights with 20F-ish temp swings is the cause. I dont think we had a single hot humid night yet.

Now i need to find a large red mild variety but it must do well in my climate. This year has been milder than last year for sure. So it was not really a fair test of the aji oro but its been a real trooper. If i had one complaint it would be that its a ground hugger. They grow out and not up. Mine is at least twice as wide as it is tall.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Yeah this year is a success for me also. Other than the super tiny mini reds which is very strange. Them things are tiny and not nearly as hot as the mini reds i sampled last year. Im certain the huge number of cooler nights with 20F-ish temp swings is the cause. I dont think we had a single hot humid night yet.

Now i need to find a large red mild variety but it must do well in my climate. This year has been milder than last year for sure. So it was not really a fair test of the aji oro but its been a real trooper. If i had one complaint it would be that its a ground hugger. They grow out and not up. Mine is at least twice as wide as it is tall.

You know, in my short tenure as an exotic pepper grower I found the Aji Oro to be ridiculously full sun friendly. Having known nothing of them my first year, I planted two Aji Oros in the 8th Acre, both did the horizontal manspread but both, by the end of my short seaon, had a LOT of pods on them. That was a hot, dry summer, too...

My GIP-gifted Sweet Ecuadoran didn't make it past cotyledon this Spring, so I'm going to try again next year. I want to try one in a fiver and one in the dirt, watch for growth and production differences...

AFA your "mini" Mini Reds, I have a similar phenom going on with my afore pictured Rocoto Rojo: the first couple, which I pollinated by hand back in March or April, are nice, three-fingered size fruits. They've been full ripe for a month, but I decided to leave them on the vine to help ensure a more viable seed harvest. Since those first two, the later pods are half and less the size, all wind/insect/open pollinated. Don't know why, but they make me happy anyway... :dance:

My AJi Oro gets about as much sun as is available. Pretty much all day and it loves it. Tolerates whatever happens including heavy rain. It took forever to germinate and it was tiny for a month or more inside. It responded very well to going outside and cool spring time temps. Ive been watching its blooms and as far as i can tell every one has produced a pod. That has been the killer in previous years with other rocotos. Nice plants, plenty of blooms but hardly any pods for all the work involved.

I dont mind the extra effort as long as i can get ripe pods. I will probably sample it today or i may wait til going to the farmers market on Saturday. Kinda want to share it with a couple of the guys down there. Getting them to grow stuff that worked for me is like a "Plan B" for the following year/s. It would be great to haul my happy ass down to the market and grab stuff i didnt grow but still grown locally with my seeds.

Welllll, i could not handle the "not knowing" and i have 2 ripe with several more turning.

Aji Oro is AWESOME!!!.....Sweet, very fruity and i thought it was pretty mild. Extremely clean flavor. First thing that came to mind was citrus and apricot. I shared my prize with pops who gave me that "how hot is it" look....All he said was "Oh Wow!"......Hope they all turn out that mild and sweet.

Ok, if we're gonna start comparing how big our Pubes are, then I'll enter my Big Apple Red @ 35" from one tip to the other...

20190726_145719.jpg

I don't know if CaneDog was aware he sent me seeds from a Rocoto-banana tree cross...These leaves are gargantuan!

20190726_145757.jpg

And the blossoms are as pretty as Pubescen gets. If it weren't for impending orbs of hot juiciness I wouldn't care if it would just flower all year!

20190726_145906.jpg

stettoman said:
Ok, if we're gonna start comparing how big our Pubes are, then I'll enter my Big Apple Red @ 35" from one tip to the other...

Yes, Manzano Rojo is indeed a very large plant. I have 6 of them growing now, all in 30 litre pots in coir mix. I try to train them up instead of out by using tomato cages, but they escaped the top of the cages already a month ago. They do grow really large leaves, but then again one of my Montufars also had a leaf the size of my hand.

All of these 6 are almost as tall as the bottom of my neck now.

Stetto, you're totally doing justice to that Big Apple   Last year mine started out like very strong plants, but I made the mistake of isolating them off-site where they got poorer maintenance and way too much heat. Result was they didn't live at all up to potential. Looking forward to seeing you clean up with yours! 

Here's an early pic of one of mine last year before I made the relocating mistake.  It should have been a beast.  :mope:
20180702_BigApple.jpg

OK, my "longest pubes" entry is Aji Lucento, though the plant itself isn't super large. 48" from tip to tip.  Hard to see in the picture, but it's 30" from tip to stem on the left and only 18" on the right.  It's been developing up the middle for a while now so hopefully it will get its bushy on soon as well. Pods are still small and not too many, but it's taken a few crosses nicely. Rumor is these guys get very big over a few years.
20190726 ALucento48.jpg

EDIT:  FYI - that Big Apple isn't Manzana Rojo as in the Mexican variety.  Es de Peru.

CaneDog said:
EDIT:  FYI - that Big Apple isn't Manzana Rojo as in the Mexican variety.  Es de Peru.

Without ARS / GRIN accession numbers, it's very difficult to understand that we are not talking about the same cultivar. I tried to chase down the origin of the cultivar I grow but could not yet obtain detailed information, however this exact cultivar has been grown here in Finland for 10-15 years now.

The ones I grow, wherever they originate from, they are 1 meter tall at a minimum and have large, leathery leaves which tend to cup strongly along the spine as they age (presumably to hide the lime-sized fruits from direct sunlight). The color of the leaves is a subdued lime green and when the leaves are large, they do not have any of the detailed surface design that is seen in Montufar. The fruits are relatively round and vary in size between 60-100 grams with a super-lingering heat that is on par with Montufar. With seedlings put outside at the beginning of May, the pods do not set until late in the season (nearly end of July) and they do not mature until the beginning of October or later. This variety has purple stems.

I do happen to know a young lady chilihead who was born and raised in Peru who lives somewhat nearby me now. Perhaps I need to ask her opinion that are the ones I grow the same ones that are grown in Peru or not :-) I also work with a guy from Mexico. But then again, even those two might disagree with each other!

Back