• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Show us your Scotch bonnets

Foodarama Scotch Bonnet from Beth also

071009b009.jpg

Yep, that seed seller scammed a lot of people with that switcheroo...BS.

Jah said:
So far so good. It's even not the Red cap mushroom. It's the yellow one :) It has bitter and mild common annuum taste. So the only reason to grow Tradewindsfruit's "Jamaican scotch bonnet" is to make some pics :)
I'll do when they ripe.

These pics were taken a week ago. Took a look this morning and they are finally starting to ripen to yellow. The plant only has 6-7 full size pods but a ton of baby pods and flowers. It was a a very late bloomer, hopefully the weather will hold out long enough for me to get a decent SB harvest. I have yet to taste a true SB.
TJScotchBonnet.JPG

TJScotchBonnet2.JPG

Jah said:
Lake Valley seeds company sells a var called "Scotch bonnet red habanero" :)

I don't ever order seeds from a seller who doesn't give the genus and species of the seed....it's not too complicated or arcane. If the seller doesn't know the genus and species and makes up a new name, I don't want seed from him.

I really am at a loss as to why I haven't yet grown a scotch bonnet?

I really like the thought of them. Hopefully Tony05 will have extras seedlings of the type he is growing then I'll finally have a SB...:)

He is growing the FARIA (TOBAGO SCOTCH BONNET)

I don't ever order seeds from a seller who doesn't give the genus and species of the seed.
dsc03006.jpg

The suppliers of this one thought they do know it's chinense :) So the more pics the better chanse to obtain the real ones :) If I saw the calyx of this var I'd say it's obviously annuum.

JAH ,

It's hard to tell , at least for me , what a pepper is by a photo. Sometimes strains look different but taste much the same. Looking at your picture above , it looks like my Trinidad Perfumes. It has the flavor and aroma of a Scotch Bonnet but no heat.

Peace ,
P. Dreadie

Jamaican Scotch Bonnet - picture from July. These were the biggest I have ever grown, many were golf ball size. Tasty pepper with medium heat.

minipicture003.jpg

P. Dreadie, let me tell you a secret :)
See this huge cap (calyx) of pepper.
calyx.jpeg

calyx1.jpeg

It's never so huge if it's chinense.
Here's the calyx of Fatalii
fatalii_calyx.jpeg

never say never... ;)

PRF - I noticed a couple of black spots on your pods and leaves in the bottom two pictures. They didn't look too widespread, but it might be bacterial leaf spot. Might want to check it out if you hadn't noticed it yet.

My pods and plants are doing just fine, got any pictures of your Scotch Bonnets Matt Berry? The macro on my camera picks up every imperfection, up to my eyeballs in pods this year.:lol:
IMG_2992.jpg

Cha! I-mon mus have some bonnets in meh garden next season!

Up to my ears in pods too, but not enough variety in heat and flavor on my end. Put everything into the 4-5 varieties I had seed for in Feb. Next year I'm definitely doin the bonnet thing!

Not grown by me, but gifted last year. Truly the most incredible largest Scotch Bonnet I've seen. It blew my mind seeing it. FYI, the pod on the right isn't that small! :) As AJ said, never say never.

Chris

P1070481.jpg

Back