• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sideshow Gardens Grow Log.

Here's where it all starts at Sideshow Gardens. The seedling room. Heat and humidity controlled. The trays will only spend a couple days here til they get moved outside. Our daytime temps have been wonderful lately but night time temps are still pretty low so they all get brought back inside at night. Quite the chore since the seedling room is upstairs and I currently have way more trays than what is pictured. I've started tomatoes and peppers so far but that accounts for only a quarter of what I'll be growing. Stay tuned for further updates. Thanks for looking!

Looks like my war on ants is starting to pay off. I have hundreds of these piles of dead ants all over the place after putting out the boric acid and honey.

Attachments

• 20180521_150212-1.jpg
    20180521_150212-1.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 56
Bhuter said:
Talk about an ant hill. Holy moly!
At first I thought the ant problem was getting worse cuz I started seeing all these piles popping up but when I looked closer, they're all dead ants. So apparently my mix is working. I've always had an ant problem but never did anything about it so that might explain why I've always had such a hard time with aphids.

Edmick said:
Got a new cheapo ph pen from amazon. Has surprisingly good reviews for only being $15. I already know the ph of my tap water and it's spot on so thats good. 1 year warranty on it too.
I have that same pen and the accompanying tds meter and as long as u recalibrate it every now and then it stays pretty accurate! Tds meter is good too. One of those cheap china products that are hit or miss but work well!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

YAMracer754 said:
 I would love some dead ant piles like Ed has, I'll have to read what he was doing!

It's 1 tablespoon honey and 1 teaspoon boric acid powder mixed into a paste. Just dump a small amount close to the ant hill and they'll take it back to the colony to be poisoned. Don't put it too close to the hill though cuz they'll recognize it as "foreign" and bury it. Put it like 5 feet away.

Edmick said:
It's 1 tablespoon honey and 1 teaspoon boric acid powder mixed into a paste. Just dump a small amount close to the ant hill and they'll take it back to the colony to be poisoned. Don't put it too close to the hill though cuz they'll recognize it as "foreign" and bury it. Put it like 5 feet away.
What would I do if I have a multitude of Hills as I previously stated exclamation?

YAMracer754 said:
What would I do if I have a multitude of Hills as I previously stated exclamation?

Just put out multiple cups of the mix. It's very very effective. I didn't realize how many ants I had til I started seeing hundreds of piles of dead ones. Ants by nature remove the dead from the colony and pile them up in piles outside so that's how I knew it was working. Just be careful with your cats. technically, it's toxic to pets but they would have to ingest a lot for it to cause problems. It's probably one of the most pet friendly options there is though. Keep it away from the cats and the ants will come from far and wide to take the deadly cocktail back to the colony. lol

Edmick said:
Just put out multiple cups of the mix. It's very very effective. I didn't realize how many ants I had til I started seeing hundreds of piles of dead ones. Ants by nature remove the dead from the colony and pile them up in piles outside so that's how I knew it was working. Just be careful with your cats. technically, it's toxic to pets but they would have to ingest a lot for it to cause problems. It's probably one of the most pet friendly options there is though. Keep it away from the cats and the ants will come from far and wide to take the deadly cocktail back to the colony. lol
Yeah, that worries me because the key cats always be getting into my fertilizer runoff water all kinds of stupid stuff that even these smart hunting cats should know better not to do, they do it! I guess anytime some kind of solution is open they want to check it out? But something caustic and nasty like boric acid I would not picture my key cats messing with... Did you score that off Amazon or what?

YAMracer754 said:
Yeah, that worries me because the key cats always be getting into my fertilizer runoff water all kinds of stupid stuff that even these smart hunting cats should know better not to do, they do it! I guess anytime some kind of solution is open they want to check it out? But something caustic and nasty like boric acid I would not picture my key cats messing with... Did you score that off Amazon or what?

Nah the boric acid I got from a buddy but you can buy it anywhere. Either as a roach killer or whatever. You can even find it in the laundry detergent section under the name borax. People wash clothes with it.

My onions are growing faster than I can thin them and use them so this batch is going in the dehydrator. We prefer green onions over regular for cooking so planting at 1/2 spacing this year has really been paying off for us.

Attachments

• 20180603_160210.jpg
    20180603_160210.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 66
Almost time for some corn! Plants are still doing great. My tallest are about 7 feet tall now.

Attachments

• 20180607_085120.jpg
    20180607_085120.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 54
Got a new gardening toy yesterday. A hori hori gardening knife. Seems to be pretty heavy duty. Heavy stainless steel blade and hardwood handle. Came with a pretty nice leather sheath too. Only $20 on amazon and the quality seems like something that could last a lifetime.

Attachments

• 20180623_112655-1.jpg
    20180623_112655-1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 20180623_112711-1.jpg
    20180623_112711-1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 62
Edmick said:
Got a new gardening toy yesterday. A hori hori gardening knife. Seems to be pretty heavy duty. Heavy stainless steel blade and hardwood handle. Came with a pretty nice leather sheath too. Only $20 on amazon and the quality seems like something that could last a lifetime.
I've got one of those. It's an awesome garden tool. Plus it's fun running around the yard looking like a fearsome Klingon!

Muckyai said:
I've got one of those. It's an awesome garden tool. Plus it's fun running around the yard looking like a fearsome Klingon!
My thoughts exactly. I figure, during the zombie apocalypse I'll be able to tend to my garden and defend myself against the walking dead at the same time. Assuming of course that they breach my other defenses first.. Lol

Edmick said:

You'll find it to be a really useful tool!  I've a similar one and wonder how I ever gardened without it.  

Cool tool! I'd love one of those. You might just have inspired me to order one! By the way, 'hori-hori' is the sound of digging in Japanese. It's an onomatopoeia, like 'meow' or 'bang'.

b3rnd said:
Cool tool! I'd love one of those. You might just have inspired me to order one! By the way, 'hori-hori' is the sound of digging in Japanese. It's an onomatopoeia, like 'meow' or 'bang'.
So why do they call it "banging"? The sound of the headboard hitting the wall perhaps..? lol

Back