• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Silver_Surfer's season starts

Hey, these PI-441598 are peach colored when ripe. :cool:
PI-441598_08-05-11.jpg

The shade of peach is in contrast to how the database would lead you to believe them to appear:
PI_441598_HF_2006.jpg

PI 441598 on GRIN

Was it a big surprise to find the pods were not red?

Thanks fellas.

Hey SS amazing harvests and pictures congratulations. I think I asked this before but not sure I got an answer (may have been a different thread).

Do you isolate any of the flowers to ensure pure seeds for the next season, or do you simply let nature take its course? If you do isolate flowers for purity what method do you use?
Nope, I don't isolate. I've thought about it, but with the very crowded planting this season I gave up that idea.

I love those douglah pics. I'd like to stand in line for seeds of the red ones if you're offering any :)
Send me a PM. :)

Thanks SS! Two great tasting super chiles in one! Heck ya, I would love to do a review of them. I think growing out and trying to stabilize these crosses really keeps things interesting in the garden. Just curious…. Roughly, how would you break down how you process all your pods? Like 30% dried/powdered, 50% sauced, 20% frozen.
Yeah, crosses can be fun. I'd say about half of that 3 day haul ended up in the freezer to be dried, sauced or eaten later; the rest are pickled 10%, dried 25%, sauced 10% or eaten. I'm still eating em in some form or fashion from 2 seasons ago. :)

Awesome pics surferman!! Sure is cool seeing that table full of pods again.
Keep your eye on the mail today or tomorrow. ;)

The shade of peach is in contrast to how the database would lead you to believe them to appear:

Was it a big surprise to find the pods were not red?
I had no expectations for color as I planted that particular variety w/o any prior info, other than it was tasty. Maybe if I left it longer it would go red??? I do have an "orange hab" this season that is a pretty peach color that eventually turns a shade of orange, so maybe that is the case with the PI 441598 if left longer. Time will tell.

Holy SHIT! You sure made my day today!! I am truly blessed to have you as a friend! Thank you so much! :eek:

Cant wait to try some of these pods!!

Crawling on my belly and sliding on my back in the shade of the dense foliage, enduring the heat
and the frequent bites of fire ants, while breaking branches to clear a path through the undergrowth
I managed to finish another harvest yesterday as the sun dropped below the tree tops.

I need...
Harvest1_8-17-11.jpg

a larger...
Harvest2_8-17-11.jpg

table!
Harvest3_8-17-11.jpg

Getting to the pods is becoming a real challenge.
Chilies8-17-11.jpg

I hate Fire ants…. however, I think I could endure a several bites if it resulted in those pictures. Breathtaking harvest, I think you need to start a home pepper business like AJ then you can build a huge conference table in that room to hold all your ummmmm... meetings.

You need a bigger table SS no more room for your Jack Daniel bottle but seriously nice harvest and wonderful variety of peppers. I am wanting a seed trade with you later this fall and saving up for a rototiller so goodbye swing set. You peppers plants look like kudzu growing along railroad tracks in upstate South Carolina. Very nice. :onfire:

Absolutely incredible harvest SS!! :dance:
You have a real jungle going there! I can see how it would be hard to get between the rows!!
In the first pic bottom left yellow pepper? what is that one it really catches the eye!!!

Kevin

That is one beautiful harvest SS. You must be extremely sore from picking peppers in that jungle. Well worth the effort! :lol:

:shocked: Really?!? That is incredible. Awesome plants n pods dude. I'm green with envy. After seeing all you growers in the midwest n south I'm really havin a hard time enjoying living in wet n rainy washington lol. Great job silver surfer. :cheers:

... After seeing all you growers in the midwest n south I'm really havin a hard time enjoying living in wet n rainy washington lol.... .
+1 from Idaho. The Pacific NW has been absolutely dominated by those other leagues this year.

Thanks for letting us live vicariously, SS. Beautiful work... :cool:

Once again another "market harvest" I swear I can smell those peppers from hear! Such beautifully established plants, I don't know about yours but my back would be killing me after those "pick'ens"...great work

Very good work sir. You have given a lot of us a very high standard to aspire to.
Thank you, every year always leaves room for improvement.

I hate Fire ants…. however, I think I could endure a several bites if it resulted in those pictures. Breathtaking harvest, I think you need to start a home pepper business like AJ then you can build a huge conference table in that room to hold all your ummmmm... meetings.
Thanks Mike, fire ants are always a concern here and you just have to learn to live with em. Business?? No thanks, that sounds like work. ;)

You need a bigger table SS no more room for your Jack Daniel bottle but seriously nice harvest and wonderful variety of peppers. I am wanting a seed trade with you later this fall and saving up for a rototiller so goodbye swing set. You peppers plants look like kudzu growing along railroad tracks in upstate South Carolina. Very nice. :onfire:
I knew I forgot to add something to those tables. Seed trades with you are always welcome, thanks Cappy. I surely have my share of kudzu here, can't get rid of the stuff. I tried to bale some one year, never could get it dry enough.

Job well done. Looks greats and makes you remember why we all do this.

Chilies8-17-11.jpg
Thanks Lee, your wilds are always pleasing to the eye and your pics greatly appreciated.

Absolutely incredible harvest SS!! :dance:
You have a real jungle going there! I can see how it would be hard to get between the rows!!
In the first pic bottom left yellow pepper? what is that one it really catches the eye!!!

Kevin
Hi Kevin, thanks. The yellow one is a PI 441629, another one from Brazil.

That is one beautiful harvest SS. You must be extremely sore from picking peppers in that jungle. Well worth the effort! :lol:
Sore, tired and now it's time to start processing em. :lol: Thanks.

Wow, amazing crop ya' got there. Plenty of heat in that house. :fire: Very nice.
Appreciated. Yes, I would say an over abundance and storage room is getting scarce.

:shocked: Really?!? That is incredible. Awesome plants n pods dude. I'm green with envy. After seeing all you growers in the midwest n south I'm really havin a hard time enjoying living in wet n rainy washington lol. Great job silver surfer. :cheers:
Thanks BigCedar. Living in the deep south does have it's disadvantages, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

+1 from Idaho. The Pacific NW has been absolutely dominated by those other leagues this year.

Thanks for letting us live vicariously, SS. Beautiful work... :cool:
Thanks Siliman, the growing is easy, it's the harvest and processing that can truly be called work, but it's a labor of love and you can't get this fresh variety anywhere else. :)

Crawling on my belly and sliding on my back in the shade of the dense foliage, enduring the heat
and the frequent bites of fire ants, while breaking branches to clear a path through the undergrowth
I managed to finish another harvest yesterday as the sun dropped below the tree tops.

I need...
Harvest1_8-17-11.jpg

a larger...
Harvest2_8-17-11.jpg

table!
Harvest3_8-17-11.jpg

Getting to the pods is becoming a real challenge.
Chilies8-17-11.jpg
HELLZ BELLZ! Looking great Surfer!

Back