• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Skullbikers ALL of 2020 Outside NOT PEPPERS Glog

ahayastani said:
skullbiker, have you already tried planting garlic in you FL climate?

I haven't personally tried it yet but they say softneck garlic grows here and now is about the time to plant it. Since you brought it up, I'll have to plant some and see what happens.

I have quite a few Miracle Fruit seedlings going now..............44 to be exact!

AA6249FD-55DC-41DD-B82B-635D604D3525.jpeg

95E8E043-A9A0-4499-8A4A-B09792AB9590.jpeg

This is the newest one that just popped out overnight.

1568E4F5-FE5A-4DA5-916F-25336302D654.jpeg

These things sure seem to grow slow...........to an impatient old man!

Seeds down today for the Artichokes. Eight cells, two seeds per cell. 

D5953FB9-8739-4477-8AEC-6186534F20D5.jpeg

We'll have to see how it goes this year, last year I got a couple of globes off of each plant. This year I hope to do better but there is no guarantee on production for something that is generally not grown here.

skullbiker said:
We'll have to see how it goes this year, last year I got a couple of globes off of each plant. This year I hope to do better but there is no guarantee on production for something that is generally not grown here.

I grew them before in Europe, temperate climate. But we had a micro-climate because of the sandy soil and summers were always a few degrees higher than in neighbouring regions. Sandy soils also help to warm up the soil in spring. In these conditions, I managed to grow artichoke. They like a Mediterranean type of climate. They are beautiful plants.

ahayastani said:

I grew them before in Europe, temperate climate. But we had a micro-climate because of the sandy soil and summers were always a few degrees higher than in neighbouring regions. Sandy soils also help to warm up the soil in spring. In these conditions, I managed to grow artichoke. They like a Mediterranean type of climate. They are beautiful plants.

The problem with artichokes here is not the warm temperature but rather the lack of cool/cold temperatures. The research says that artichokes need a minimum of 250 hours of temperatures below 50° f to trigger the plant to bloom. Last winter I did it with plant hormones but I need to tweak the application timing and dosage. 

My plants when I was in Minnesota.

D0EAD264-9433-4C87-87D3-54C7440153C2.jpeg

One of the globes left to flower.

E47F5F85-F642-4224-9465-3D22179A46D9.jpeg

skullbiker said:

The problem with artichokes here is not the warm temperature but rather the lack of cool/cold temperatures. The research says that artichokes need a minimum of 250 hours of temperatures below 50° f to trigger the plant to bloom. Last winter I did it with plant hormones but I need to tweak the application timing and dosage. 

Interesting. I checked my old handbook, but it obviously only says that it is necessary to protect the roots from heavy frost :D

Anyway, I'm going to make a mental annotation of the gibberellic acid trick. It's a plant I'd like to grow again once I have some land...

Well, I kinda have a handle on the above ground bugs but now I see I also have to deal with the below ground bastiges.

Root-knot nematodes.
This is one of the tomato plants I was growing out from a cutting. It was in a gallon pot sitting on the ground. The roots grew through the bottom holes into the ground and that's how they got got going on it.

C89289BB-F56C-4BA8-8189-927DC1997863.jpeg

I have a few Dragon Fruit seeds germinating now, here's one showing its first ???spines??? I guess since I never grew these before I just don't know. ‍♂️ On most everything else it would be first true leaves.

D8311DC9-180E-4D32-8A26-4DBC3EACF165.jpeg

Here's a Dragon Fruit seedling with tri-cotys, and I don't know if this is a rare occurrence or not.

39488B3C-0184-4114-8145-68B34D3164A4.jpeg

Here are a few Passion Fruit seedlings I just transplanted into 3 liter pots.

FF026A8B-39BC-4361-9D8F-A1A387E13E28.jpeg

Edaxflamma said:
Do you have any pro pineapple tips you could bless us with? I have one I started from a store bought but it is fairly slow growing.

Hot, humid, full sun. 

My store-bought piñas are also slow to take off. I don't know why, but I have considered the idea that maybe they are treated with a product to delay ripening. I can compare with a pineapple I got as a gift from a local, which started to grow considerably faster.

Edaxflamma said:
Do you have any pro pineapple tips you could bless us with? I have one I started from a store bought but it is fairly slow growing.
Well, I don't know if my way of starting them is pro or not. Most that I have started are definitely slow to get going. I put the top in a bowl or large cup of filtered water, this sits on a table in my screen porch and gets about 2 hours of morning sun and the rest of the day is bright indirect light. I check the water occasionally so they don't get too low on water. When there are several roots an inch to one and a half inches long I put them in a three to five gallon container of soil consisting of local Florida topsoil/sand.

Back