• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sm1nts2escape's 2014 First Glog

Welcome to my Glog! This will be my first year growing peppers. Last year was my first for growing tomatoes but I grew from starter plants. So with that being said I will probably be making some mistakes and would appreciate your advice if you notice something. Anyways,  I purchased a Secret Jardin Dark Propagator 90 (DP90) 3x2x3 grow tent and two 300w led fixtures off of ebay to get this season started. Everything has broke the surface minus the Brown Bhut (dried pods), Jalabanero (frozen Pods) and  Red Congo (Frozen Pods). I am hoping they will do something soon. One thing that has me puzzled is the Blue/purple tint that has developed on say 65% of my pepper seedlings. I don't know if I should be concerned but they are still kicking so I am just going to go with it.  Also I noticed the peppers that were transferred to Jiffy seed starting soil seem to be growing much faster than the sprouts that are a week older in the Miracle grow soil.

My grow list

Sweet Peppers:

Corno Di Toro x3
Giant Aconcagua x2
Sweet Apple
Carmen

Hot:

Red Brainstrain x3
Yellow Brainstrain
Red Primo x2
Yellow Primo
Carolina Reaper x2
Giant Bhut Joloikia x2
Brown Bhut Jolokia
Yellow Bhut Jolokia
Monster Naga
Yellow Fatali
Bahamian Goat x2
7 Pot Burgundy
White 7 Pot x3
Chocolate Congo
Red Congo
Aji Pineapple
Naga x Tabasco
Donni Sali x2
Tabasco
Giant Mexican Rocoto
Jalapa Jalapeno x2

Tomatoes:

Sungold Cherry x3
Nectar Cherry x2
Sweet Chelsea Cherry x2
Sunchocola Cherry x2
Sweet Baby Girl x2 (start 4 neighbors)
Kellogg's Breakfast x2
Black Krim x2
San Marzano

Attachments

• IMG_20140204_183705_195.jpg
    IMG_20140204_183705_195.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20140208_144914_143.jpg
    IMG_20140208_144914_143.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20140204_182605_543.jpg
    IMG_20140204_182605_543.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20140208_145228_835.jpg
    IMG_20140208_145228_835.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20140208_145322_378.jpg
    IMG_20140208_145322_378.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20140206_171456_101.jpg
    IMG_20140206_171456_101.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20140206_171537_152-1.jpg
    IMG_20140206_171537_152-1.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20140208_145014_411.jpg
    IMG_20140208_145014_411.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 125
Nice setup you have there. Im noting you said that Jiffy seed starting mix is giving you good luck. I'm curious to see how this goes for you going forward. I used this stuff last year with terrible results. The plants grew extremely slow, taking over a month to go from one set of true leaves to the second. And then they stopped moving forward.. Until I put them outside. Given that I had adequate light, I'm wondering if the reason is the Jiffy is sterlie, and has no nutrients. I did not "pot" up in between the seed cells and putting them outside.

Sm1nts2escape said:
Welcome to my Glog! This will be my first year growing peppers. Last year was my first for growing tomatoes but I grew from starter plants. So with that being said I will probably be making some mistakes and would appreciate your advice if you notice something. Anyways,  I purchased a Secret Jardin Dark Propagator 90 (DP90) 3x2x3 grow tent and two 300w led fixtures off of ebay to get this season started. Everything has broke the surface minus the Brown Bhut (dried pods), Jalabanero (frozen Pods) and  Red Congo (Frozen Pods). I am hoping they will do something soon. One thing that has me puzzled is the Blue/purple tint that has developed on say 65% of my pepper seedlings. I don't know if I should be concerned but they are still kicking so I am just going to go with it.  Also I noticed the peppers that were transferred to Jiffy seed starting soil seem to be growing much faster than the sprouts that are a week older in the Miracle grow soil.

My grow list

Sweet Peppers:

Corno Di Toro x3
Giant Aconcagua x2
Sweet Apple
Carmen

Hot:

Red Brainstrain x3
Yellow Brainstrain
Red Primo x2
Yellow Primo
Carolina Reaper x2
Giant Bhut Joloikia x2
Brown Bhut Jolokia
Yellow Bhut Jolokia
Monster Naga
Yellow Fatali
Bahamian Goat x2
7 Pot Burgundy
White 7 Pot x3
Chocolate Congo
Red Congo
Aji Pineapple
Naga x Tabasco
Donni Sali x2
Tabasco
Giant Mexican Rocoto
Jalapa Jalapeno x2

Tomatoes:

Sungold Cherry x3
Nectar Cherry x2
Sweet Chelsea Cherry x2
Sunchocola Cherry x2
Sweet Baby Girl x2 (start 4 neighbors)
Kellogg's Breakfast x2
Black Krim x2
San Marzano

Thanks! My plants are doing pretty good and loved the pot up in the happy frog soil but some of my plants are starting to show signs of a calcium/magnesium deficiency. I believe the ph in my water might be part of the problem. I will get a ph meter next weekend. I picked up some Fox Farms Grow Big this weekend and fertilized with it last night. Hopefully they respond well to that. I would guess this is my 5th time fertilizing since starting my plants. I placed an order this morning for some Earth Juice OilyCann. I have had very good results with their products in the past and they try to keep their products as natural as possible (as well as Fox Farm). It is a Calcium/Magnesium supplement with humic acid. I researched all the cal/mag supplements last night and this one seemed the best for me because it does not have any nitrogen and can be used with other fertilizers unlike most of the others. I believe the leaf curl on some of my plants is mainly a calcium deficiency while the yellowing in the Primo plants I think is mostly a magnesium deficiency. When the OilyCann gets here I will foliar feed with it and drench the roots the first night to try and stop the problem asap. Also I topped a few of my plants. I had to top my sweet peppers and jalapenos cause they produced flowers and I also topped my Aji Pineapple and Tabasco plant. The Tabasco and Aji Pineapple are now shooting out all kinds of new growth soon to be filling in the voids between the leaves. The Tabasco plant it very vigorous! The new leaves on the Tabasco plant are slightly curled showing a slight calcium deficiency. On a good note my Reapers have taken off and are looking 100% as of right now. I feel like I am learning a ton this year. Next year I should be a pro lol.

Topped Tabasco plant is throwing out new leaves everywhere! New leaves are showing symptoms of a slight Calcium defieciency. Hopefully the OilyCann gets here soon.
IMG_20140316_102905_288.jpg

Primo plants are still pretty rough. They are showing signs of a magnesium deficiency.
IMG_20140316_102926_713.jpg

White 7pots are doing really good but started showing signs of a calcium deficiency two days ago.
IMG_20140316_102939_030.jpg

Brown Congo is showing Cal/Mag deficiencies
IMG_20140316_105238_795.jpg

Reapers look ten times better since potting up into the Happy Frog soil and are growing again :)
IMG_20140316_105145_940.jpg

apa99 said:
Nice setup you have there. Im noting you said that Jiffy seed starting mix is giving you good luck. I'm curious to see how this goes for you going forward. I used this stuff last year with terrible results. The plants grew extremely slow, taking over a month to go from one set of true leaves to the second. And then they stopped moving forward.. Until I put them outside. Given that I had adequate light, I'm wondering if the reason is the Jiffy is sterlie, and has no nutrients. I did not "pot" up in between the seed cells and putting them outside.

Yes the Jiffy starting soil has no nutrients in it so you have to fertilize. I am now fertilizing my seedlings while they are still in the jiffy starters. I wait till they have their first set of true leaves then one water bottle cap full per starter once a week and the plants love it!

Sm1nts2escape said:
Thanks! My plants are doing pretty good and loved the pot up in the happy frog soil but some of my plants are starting to show signs of a calcium/magnesium deficiency. I believe the ph in my water might be part of the problem. I will get a ph meter next weekend. I picked up some Fox Farms Grow Big this weekend and fertilized with it last night. Hopefully they respond well to that. I would guess this is my 5th time fertilizing since starting my plants. I placed an order this morning for some Earth Juice OilyCann. I have had very good results with their products in the past and they try to keep their products as natural as possible (as well as Fox Farm). It is a Calcium/Magnesium supplement with humic acid. I researched all the cal/mag supplements last night and this one seemed the best for me because it does not have any nitrogen and can be used with other fertilizers unlike most of the others. I believe the leaf curl on some of my plants is mainly a calcium deficiency while the yellowing in the Primo plants I think is mostly a magnesium deficiency. When the OilyCann gets here I will foliar feed with it and drench the roots the first night to try and stop the problem asap. Also I topped a few of my plants. I had to top my sweet peppers and jalapenos cause they produced flowers and I also topped my Aji Pineapple and Tabasco plant. The Tabasco and Aji Pineapple are now shooting out all kinds of new growth soon to be filling in the voids between the leaves. The Tabasco plant it very vigorous! The new leaves on the Tabasco plant are slightly curled showing a slight calcium deficiency. On a good note my Reapers have taken off and are looking 100% as of right now. I feel like I am learning a ton this year. Next year I should be a pro lol.

Topped Tabasco plant is throwing out new leaves everywhere! New leaves are showing symptoms of a slight Calcium defieciency. Hopefully the OilyCann gets here soon.
attachicon.gif
IMG_20140316_102905_288.jpg

Primo plants are still pretty rough. They are showing signs of a magnesium deficiency.
attachicon.gif
IMG_20140316_102926_713.jpg

White 7pots are doing really good but started showing signs of a calcium deficiency two days ago.
attachicon.gif
IMG_20140316_102939_030.jpg

Brown Congo is showing Cal/Mag deficiencies
attachicon.gif
IMG_20140316_105238_795.jpg

Reapers look ten times better since potting up into the Happy Frog soil and are growing again :)
attachicon.gif
IMG_20140316_105145_940.jpg

Yes the Jiffy starting soil has no nutrients in it so you have to fertilize. I am now fertilizing my seedlings while they are still in the jiffy starters. I wait till they have their first set of true leaves then one water bottle cap full per starter once a week and the plants love it!
Hey could you describe this process more? Can you let me know what fertilizer you're using? Are you saying you put one bottle cap full of liquid fertilizer per starter cell? Or one bottle cap full as part of a bigger mix with water? One thing that confuses me about fertilizing at this size plant is how much or how little to use.

apa99 said:
Hey could you describe this process more? Can you let me know what fertilizer you're using? Are you saying you put one bottle cap full of liquid fertilizer per starter cell? Or one bottle cap full as part of a bigger mix with water? One thing that confuses me about fertilizing at this size plant is how much or how little to use.

I am now using fox farms grow big liquid fertilizer 6-4-4. I mix it per the instructions 3 teaspoons per gallon of water. I then take a bottle cap off a dasani 16.9 oz water bottle and fill that up with the nutrient solution and pour that onto one seedling that is in the jiffy starter plug once a week. My starter plugs need to be watered daily cause of the heat my t5's put out in the smaller tent. Once they grow out their second set of true leaves I rip the cotton covering off the starter plug and transplant them into 3.5" pots with jiffy starter soil. I will then fertilize about once a week or so depending on how the plants look. When I first started this year I was mixing my own fertilizer concoction up and that was holding my plants back some. I can only imagine what they would look like now if I knew what I do now. Thanks

Sm1nts2escape said:
When I first started this year I was mixing my own fertilizer concoction up and that was holding my plants back some. I can only imagine what they would look like now if I knew what I do now. Thanks
I'm in the same boat. I guess learning is all part of the process though. Keep good notes on what's worked and next year will be even better.

Neil

Got the OilyCann in Monday afternoon! Gave the plants a good drench Monday and Tuesday night. Can't believe the difference! Primo perked up immediately as well as the others that were showing some deficiencies. The Tabasco is still fighting a bit but I am sure it will get better after the next flush of water. Had to transplant the last of my pepper and tomato starts. One of my tomatoes is growing a little lanky and had to pot up cause it fell over today while I was at work. Moved the smaller tent with just the tomatoes in it to the colder room in the house and am planning on only running two of the six t5's in it till transplant time. I planted my tomatoes and peppers way to early! I should have planted my peppers a month later than I did and the tomatoes a month and a week later I think. I am running out of room again... Anyway here are some pics.

The last of my starts ready for potting up. Bhut Jolokia (for friend) ,Big Donni Sali, Donni Sali, 7pot Jonah, Topepo Rosso, Red Marconi, Red Cheese, Jimmy Nardello, and 2 Kumato Tomatoes
IMG_20140319_175206_857.jpg

Just the right size for potting up into 3.5" pots. Notice the two sets of well developed true leaves
IMG_20140319_180405_033.jpg

See roots poking out the bottom. They don't mind the little root pruning and bounce back within a day
IMG_20140319_181621_543.jpg

Potted up in their new home
IMG_20140319_184046_521.jpg

New Bhut seedling showing size for future comparison
IMG_20140319_205550_756.jpg

Remember this little Brown Bhut? This pic was taken on March 2nd.
IMG_20140302_081720_000.jpg

Same Plant (Brown Bhut) 17 days later. Not so little anymore huh!?
IMG_20140319_175554_993.jpg

Same Primo after a heavy drenching of OilyCann :)
IMG_20140319_175435_728.jpg

Same White 7pot
IMG_20140319_175523_271.jpg

Tabasco is taking a little longer to recover
IMG_20140319_175644_064.jpg

Money Shot
IMG_20140319_205638_932.jpg

Looking good I'm debating on weather or not to top. Here is the timer I bought and it works like a charm, 4 timed outlets and 4 constant power. http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-8-Outlet-Surge-Protector-w-Built-In-Timer

Thanks :) From what I can see if you top them you will have bushy plants. I really see no reason to top them unless you like experimenting. I think topping them is similar to not plucking the suckers off tomatoes. Sure, if you allow the suckers to grow you will get more tomatoes but the fruit will be smaller. I planted my plants to early so this is how I am dealing with it. I had purchased a timer/surge strip similar to that one but it was faulty and I was lazy and didn't ship it back. I only have a bout a month to go before I have to put them outside so I am just going to keep doing what I am doing. Need to save the cash for the dirt I am going to have to buy as well as the fencing materials lol.

This is what you get when you care for them the right way from the beginning. Threw all my tomato plants out last week and replanted new seed today. The one tomato plant that I put in the big tent with the peppers was over 4ft tall a couple weeks ago. Had to keep cutting them down cause they wouldn't slow down and ended up looking like poo. It's a little late to be planting fresh seed but I have faith in my little tent setup and going to run the T5's 24hrs till plant out time which is the second week of May. Tried a dried Piquin Chili for the first time the other day and they are tasty! So I took some seeds from a pod and planted them along with one extra Tabasco, 1 Reg Red Bhut, and one more shot at a Jalabanero along with the tomatoes. Hoping for the best!

pepper growth 4.JPG

Thanks Meathead! This Brown Bhut has been a fast grower from the very beginning. I remember watching a vid of Ted the Idiot and he said that brown bhuts are hard to germinate and slow growing but I have seen the complete opposite once I got fresh seed from Pepperlover.com

Looking good!! I had trouble the first time I tried to grow bhuts but this time around the red bhuts have been my best growers so far. Seeds were some freebies from pepper lover!

Thanks Thirdcoasttx! The red Bhuts I planted among a few others were freebies from Pepperlover.com . Judy is Awesome! Going to do another video and some pics in a day or two. The growth I am getting from the trimming of the fan leaves is unreal :) Also went ahead and topped the primos cause they started flowering and no new growth was going on where I trimmed the fans off.

Im still a little hesitant to top. I trimmed some of the fan leaves off my hydro bhut to allow more light to get to the undergrowth and now there are a few shoots growing where I trimmed but it continued to grow upwards and has now forked. I'll probably just leave it for now. Lookin forward to seeing your progress in the next video!

Back