• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

So I bought..........

Can't wait to see what 300 Douglah's look like Bent, get yer butt in gear man!

Also, does "arvo" mean this afternoon? You OZ folks and yer crazy English. :lol:

Can't wait to see what 300 Douglah's look like Bent, get yer butt in gear man!

Also, does "arvo" mean this afternoon? You OZ folks and yer crazy English. :lol:

It's not going to be 300 patrick, my natural growing methods (dirt, sun, water) & all being outdoors from the start means I'll get about 50%. There's still new ones popping up now - 7 weeks after sowing - so who knows how many. I've got about 120 now & thats probably enough for the size of my yard, but will take as many as sprout & give a few away once they're stable.

arvo is afternoon - gotta say things in a way that doesnt let flies in your mouth here LOL Anyway time i cracked a tinnie!

no - having a weird season. I transplanted all the seedlings into cups (with holes) & well they haven't grown. They're still seedling size. I transplanted a few into new potting mix a few weeks ago to see what the roots are doing - roots are growing fine - but theres no new leaves happening.

I thought it might have something to do with the heatwave we've been having so put shade-cloth over - but still no change. All i can do is wait :rolleyes:

g'day all,

just popped in after seeing the forum listed on my hosting stats'

one gardener was considering a bale garden straw or otherwise, but found no affordable availability near by, the best option for affordable bales of mulch are produce agencies, buy only spoilt fodder or grass hay bales and check sugar cane mulch which we sue as exclusevly as mushroom compost, it is usually affordable ranging from $5 to $10 around and in brisbane area, the closer to where teh cane is grown gets down into the $3 range. i have contact details for a trucker who resides around burpengary, he trucks back from up north rolls of sugar cane mulch but may load bales on request. i lived at deception bay and could get s/c bales for $10 or a 10 bale roll for $60.

don't believe that the effort needed to till is needed at all, raised beds need no eges as such and can begin with a pile of mushy on top of prunings on the ground, start around 12"s. also sued to be a bloke up woorim way who grew and cut pasture grass mix even with delivery he was quiet reasonable and less than local s/c mulch.

back in an earlier post click on the straw bale link that's me.

building a new house now so early in new year new gardens this time more room to once again grow chillies, these beds now as we get older will be teh height and surrounded by corrugated iron, got lots of tree materila to cut up so far less to burn later if any at all, this is similar to what now is know as hugelkultur/beet system we have actually done this for a decade or more now everything gardening is just an adaption we try to mimic nature. and do as littel ongoing manual work as possible.

busy days ahead not getting younger in any hurry.

len

Say Len, you speak any English? LOL. :welcome:

g'day all,

just popped in after seeing the forum listed on my hosting stats'

one gardener was considering a bale garden straw or otherwise, but found no affordable availability near by, the best option for affordable bales of mulch are produce agencies, buy only spoilt fodder or grass hay bales and check sugar cane mulch which we sue as exclusevly as mushroom compost, it is usually affordable ranging from $5 to $10 around and in brisbane area, the closer to where teh cane is grown gets down into the $3 range. i have contact details for a trucker who resides around burpengary, he trucks back from up north rolls of sugar cane mulch but may load bales on request. i lived at deception bay and could get s/c bales for $10 or a 10 bale roll for $60.

don't believe that the effort needed to till is needed at all, raised beds need no eges as such and can begin with a pile of mushy on top of prunings on the ground, start around 12"s. also sued to be a bloke up woorim way who grew and cut pasture grass mix even with delivery he was quiet reasonable and less than local s/c mulch.

back in an earlier post click on the straw bale link that's me.

building a new house now so early in new year new gardens this time more room to once again grow chillies, these beds now as we get older will be teh height and surrounded by corrugated iron, got lots of tree materila to cut up so far less to burn later if any at all, this is similar to what now is know as hugelkultur/beet system we have actually done this for a decade or more now everything gardening is just an adaption we try to mimic nature. and do as littel ongoing manual work as possible.

busy days ahead not getting younger in any hurry.

len

Have already been dreading the thought of planting them all out. The cost of pots would be prohibitive & i'd need to hire a rotary hoe for a day or 2 to get through the clayee soil......then i found this link

lookout - i've got a plan :dance:
^ This may help you to understand what Len was talking about, hot stuff. ;)

:welcome: from Brissy, Len.

Well I'm glad someone from down under can speak English. :rofl:
:lol:

Don't worry, I was confused as hell at first too but then remembered bent saying something about straw bale gardens earlier on. (And now I just realized Len even said that.... :lol:)

The link bent gave is to Len's site and Len picked up on the traffic coming from here through his site stats, and being an obvious true Aussie, he jumped on here to help out and give a little more info. :cool:

:lol:

Don't worry, I was confused as hell at first too but then remembered bent saying something about straw bale gardens earlier on. (And now I just realized Len even said that.... :lol:)

The link bent gave is to Len's site and Len picked up on the traffic coming from here through his site stats, and being an obvious true Aussie, he jumped on here to help out and give a little more info. :cool:
thanks gasificada,

clear as mud now hey lol

yeh this bloke got to mentioning my site: bentalphanerd

i am old brissy bloke and never had too many problems sourcing material for gardens be they bale garden or a row of piled up mushroom compost. if you can afford it buy fodder hay but hey phew exy stuff full of teh good nutrients. but anyway think outside the square once teh bales rot away you ahve no edging at all works fine hey?

we talk funny 'cause we're hangin' upside down lol

got my web link in my profile now

once we get into our new home i will do another presentation using that hugel stuff which is sorta old hat for us. the mushroom compost comes in 1 tonne bags now if we buy 4 bags maybe the mushroom farmer will deliver for a mates rate fee?? maybe that bloke who back loads rolls of sugar cane mulch will drop 3 or 4 rolls off on his way through to brissy.

len

Back