• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Sometimes I really hate people

Last spring my neighbors, the ones I overheard the other week, got a puppy for the child that lives there. Skippy is a real mutt, with one of his recent ancestors having more then a passing acquaintance with a Jack Russel Terrier. When he was little and cute, he was inside most of the time. I heard rumbles of problems with training, and offered a couple of times to help; but no one was particularly interested in taking the time or making the effort. Apparently he was supposed to pick things up from an older, smaller dog they have.

A few of weeks ago, Skippy was booted from the house. He spends most of his time crying and barking to be let back inside. Sometimes he gets out of the yard runs around the neighborhood barking at people and turning over trash cans until I catch him and put him back. When I'm outside, I speak to him, and pet him over the fence. I feel sorry for him, and, well, I do wish he'd shut up. He gets more excited when I get home from work than when his people do. And yesterday, in the first rain we've had in weeks and weeks, he broke out of their yard, and into mine. Took him about 5 minutes to figure out the dog door.

So, I went out, in the rain, fixed their fence, fixed my fence, and took him home. I explained the problem. Thirty minutes later, he was back in my house. Took him home again, explained the situation a little more emphatically, explained explicitly that I was *not* going out in the rain again to fix their fence, and that he needed to be kept in house or supervised when he was outside.

He was in my house at 5:30 this morning.

So, I got home this afternoon and went out to work on the fences again, but the little girl's mother stopped me. And, well, it's over for poor Skip. He broke out of his crate in the house and tore up some pillows and a pair of, apparently, very expensive shoes. They tried to guilt me into taking him by going on about how he's going to die at the pound. I suggested three different rescue organizations that would work with them, but it seems those shoes were particularly important shoes so Skippy has to go, now.

And, I do feel bad for Skip, but I just can't take on a destructive dog who has already learned to break out of a fenced yard and a crate. He's already chased my cats; and although I don't think he's cat aggressive, just cat ignorant, I'm not willing to put my cats at risk.

And I'm really mad at myself for letting them make me feel guilty.

Pam, your neighbors obviously do not care about the welfare of their pet now that he is no longer a cute and cuddly puppy, however you still have several choices....

If you deem him worth it, adopt him yourself or...seems he prefers your attention and kind treatment of him over his masters...jerks!

Next time he gets in your yard, remove his collar and call animal control and then they have to take him.

Ask around your friends and see if they want him. I am betting in this case, the nay... and I do mean naaaaaybors, could care less about their resposibility to the pet or you for that matter. To solve it you will have to take the initiative sadly.

Worst case scenario...only if you are at the end of your rope and the naybors show they don't give a damn....shoot him..and leave his body on the naybors porch...or just bury him in the garden and plant peppers over his poor little dog soul. When I was a kid growing up on the farm and strays came around and messed with our animals, I shot them dead. I hated it and guilted over it for a long time but realised it was the best thing. Do what you think is right and let us know how it goes. Cheers, TB.

It's not the dog's fault. And Pam, it's not your's either. Your "naybors" are totally at fault. I'll bet there's a "no kill" shelter near you.

All that dog wants is to have loving masters and to be a "good dog". It would take some time, but I bet that dog would be a great pet for someone.

I don't hate people, I pitty them (which by definition means that I look down on people...which I guess I completely do, call me arigent and a bad speller.....wait, what was that last part?). They don't think outside of themseleves. What stupid (not ignorant, but stupid) people there are in the world.

fuck those arseholes! people can be such bastards with pets. lock the neighbours in the yard with no food or attention for days on end and see how they like it. there should be licences and tests to qualify people as pet owners.

I hate anyone who is cruel to animals. killing them for food I accept as I am an avid meat eater but for sport or for fun or just to be cruel, well, I find that a bit difficult to deal with.

it's not your fault or your dilemna Pam, you can't fix all the world's problems, just love your pets that little bit more. hopefully those tools next door will realise that they shouldn't have pets because they're too stupid and too ignorant.

If you can find your local animal rescue, they'll take him from you and will find him a good home without killing him, if you don't want him. I agree, all he wants is to be is loved and given the opportunity to love back.

Your neighbors, Pam, for lack of not being able to come up with a better word, SUCK.

I have many, many friends who do animal rescue(even a Pit Bull rescue!), and after helping them out for years going on rescues and adoptions, sometimes i have to agree with a statement my friend Melissa always says:

"animals are innocent, but people deserve every ill thing they get"

I believe there are no bad pets, only bad bosses {owners}. A dog will spend it's whole life just trying to work out what is the best thing to do by it's boss. It's happiest being patted & told it's a good dog. It's a pack animal, if it's isolated from the family it thinks it's a bad dog & wants to make amends, leading to frustration, anguish & eventually mischief.

As I write this I have a Doberman who weighs almost as much as me happily asleep on my feet. Its honestly not that hard to train a dog, just be consistent and familiar.

For your neighbors, I say set yourself up in their front yard with a deckchair and marshmallows in the middle of the night. Set fire to their doorways and watch the fun as they leap through their windows.
Not that I would condone such actions ;)

Poor Skippy... I have been in your position more than once Pam and I didnt like it at all, very much the same as you, damn guilt feelings (A Cancerian flaw) I have taken some of the animals and they have turned out to be really great pets once they achieved trust and where they "fit" in the family schema. In all practicality you saw it coming and you know what is best but conveying that is hard when knowing the fate of Skippy. All you can do is help find a shelter or someone you may know that is interested. They can also put him in a local paper a "free to a good home" kinda thing. All I know is I would have a hard time thinking of the people the same way again....

Good luck to Skippy and be brave Pam

I appreciate the responses, but the problem with "no kill" shelters is that they're always full. There are several local rescue groups who would take him when they have an opening, but I don't think these people are willing to wait.

I've done rescue for years. I used to foster with the national Australian Shepherd rescue group STAAR and with a local cat group. I had to stop a few years back when my father started getting ill, and I haven't gotten involved again except in small ways. I help with rescue runs and do emergency fostering for puppies or already trained dogs.

Skippy was adopted out through the pound here, and they have an affiliated rescue group, so I'm hoping maybe, since he was one of theirs, they'll move him into that program.

Poor dog, rotten people.

A lot of people who get dogs have no idea what the hell they are doing. Terriers especially need a lot of attention when young. Just sticking a dog in the back yard is very cruel, especially one like that. Your neighbors are ignorant assholes.

Sorry to hear about this. Now I'm depressed. :(

chilliman64 said:
I hate anyone who is cruel to animals. killing them for food I accept as I am an avid meat eater but for sport or for fun or just to be cruel, well, I find that a bit difficult to deal with.

well you better start dealing with it because its the fact of life, animals will die! I just hope not a cruelful death.
you think the pain animals feel is less in the slauther houses vs being killed for sport ? you're sadly mistaken! the only difference is what kind of sport. then take into consideration in the wild animals will rip apart another animal & eat it ALIVE until its dead, far worse than a civil death from us humans.
what about you driving down the road & hitting a animal & not stopping to put it out of its misery, seems very barbaric to leave it die slowly (which many people just keep driving on & leave the animal die slowly instead of stopping & cutting its throat or a bullet to the head) yea those hours sitting there in a ditch is wonderful :rolleyes:

lets see a humane death from the vet takes several minutes, & well placed broadhead/arrow into both lungs or heart, the animal is dead within 1 min. I guess its more barbaric to put your animal to sleep at the vet vs a quick clean kill to the heart or head!

all those "no kill shelters" are a joke, starts out to be a good cause but most times they land up being even worse for the animal than a simple death. just watch the news you'll see pet hoarding/no kill shelters & those animals are in bad condition! I've seen it plenty of times while driving (work in construction) & travel many places & see MANY dogs in crappy kennels outside in -30 degrees & in bad condition (healthwise)

people that want to breed animals or dont neuter their animals are part of the problem for excessive animals that are put down.
which leads to be a throw away society when it comes to pet animals.

so please dont say its cruel for people to kill animals for sport when in fact many hunters do their best for a humane death, which even their worst shot is still a better death vs being subjected to test for medical use, which for some reason you tend to not even mention that, why ? is that painful death better ?

get off your high horse & stop acting so civilized & accept the fact animals will die & some more painful than others. unless you want to open up the avenue to testing on humans (convicts in prison)
our heritage as a human is about killing animals & using them for our wants & needs, for thousands of years, it will not change its our God given right to kill animals!

CH..dude...I think Chilliman was saying that cruelty to animals for the sake of it was wrong. I don't think he inferred that hunting to put food on the table was in that category. As far as hooking an inmate or an animal up to a car battery to find a cure for cancer or aids, all I can say is....black is negative, red is positive. Cheers, TB.

lighten up chilehunter, texas blues has interpreted me correctly, you have misunderstood because you are a hunter. if you are doing so to eat the kill and execute the animal swiftly and humanely then I have no issue. don't attack me, do you have a guilty conscience and feel you have to rant to justify what you're doing is ok?

re-read my post that you quoted - it says I hate anyone who is cruel to animals - that is the whole premise of my post and in fact what this thread is about. don't get on your civil rights high horse every time a thread here mentions animals (as you do) because you hunt and presume that every thread/post on this subject is attacking you because it is not. you have brought a lot of arguments into this thread in order to have a go at me yet I did not mention any of those things you are carrying on about so how about sticking to the facts?

if you are disagreeing with my post, I must presume you like people who are cruel to animals, and, support killing them for fun and sport and just to be cruel, not for food, because that is the quote you have chosen to challenge me on.

why not start your own Let's Kill Animals Just For Fun And Cruelty thread and I promise not to read or post in it, ok. I'm sure you'll get lots of support from other site members on that one.

chilliman - you did say " FOR SPORT OR FOR FUN " well ya I hunt for sport,for fun, & the meat. can I survive w/o the meat from hunting ? I sure can. so yep I hunt for the thrill & challenge, you should try it ;)
I also hunt because its part of our life as humans, has been for thousands of years ever since we learned to make tools to hunt animals.

yes I went overboard with what I typed to you, but here in the USA theres alot of anti-hunting people (peta freaks) that spew their rhetoric & say hunting is cruel :rolleyes: but yet theres many others things that bring worse deaths upon animals than hunting.

people are giving human rights to animals :rolleyes: they're ANIMALS! years ago it was just fine to put your dog down yourself (cost less than $1) but now legally you have to bring it to a vet & pay $50+ or be charged with a felony :rolleyes:

I dont support being cruel to animals, like I already said. but killing any animal you shouldnt be facing prison time - a guy riped the head off a duck now faces prison time, GET F'ING REAL. pay a fine buy a duck blahblahblah end of story.

again like I've said before in another thread, mother nature is very cruel.
do you have pest problems ? how do you take care of those problems ?

oh yea, pam get that dog to a pound so it can be dealt with unless you want to keep it.

Good news story:
A NEGLECTED doberman adopted by a loving family last week has saved their toddler from being bitten by a deadly king brown snake.
"When Kerry Kinder (Doberinling Boarding Kennels owner) rescued him, he was starving, had broken ribs and had been beaten – he was an abused dog," she said.

"It was borderline on whether or not he should be put down because he was in such a bad way."

full story: http://www.cairnspost.com.au/article/2007/10/31/4400_news.html

that story about the doberman is pretty cool. wasn't there another dog down in oz, a jack russel that defended two kids from some roaming pit bulls? the jr wound up getting really torn up, while the kids got away. i think they wound up putting the dog to sleep because of how bad the injuries were.

as for the story of pams neighbors..people sure can be arseholes at times. especially when it comes to animals. down here in florida we have several species of invasive animals because of people being irresponsible.

Back