• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sophomore grow 2014

I will try to keep this updated once a week.My first season was a lot of trial and error.If I had a problem I came directly to the HP for advice to solve plant issues and what to do with the pods harvested,for that I thank you all.I still was not confident I could start from seeds so along with the plants in my closet I will be getting a few from Chillyplants.They sent some very very healthy peppers to me last spring.I also overwintered 6 plants from 2013,3 went to pepper Heaven.
   From my seeds'
    7-pots
   Yellow Moruga
    Red moruga
   Trinidad Scorps
  Choco Ghost
    Live Plants from Chillies
   Red Brain Strain
   Jays Red Ghost Scorp
Naga Morich
 Eds Reapers
Tabasco
Siling Labuyo
Malaqueta
View attachment 10096
View attachment 10097
View attachment 10098
View attachment 10099
  Could not close 2013 without showing my wall of shame,or fame.We will find out when all my fermenting jars get turned into sauce. ;)

It's on now,got my sauce and it is fantastic.I got a freebie Pink to go with the Black label sauce.I like them both so much,I am going to use 2 1/2 oz of each in my 5LB's of sticks.Nothing better than the smell of smoke in the morning Rick. :dance:
2014-08-22 002.JPG

What the deuce? All my old man makes are empty beer cans :rofl:

Feel free to keep posting not-vegetable pics hehe. That's some bloody awesomesauce right there, especially with the actual intestines on the sow-sauge.

miguelovic said:
What the deuce? All my old man makes are empty beer cans :rofl:

Feel free to keep posting not-vegetable pics hehe. That's some bloody awesomesauce right there, especially with the actual intestines on the sow-sauge.
     Thanks for dropping in Mig.If I could get you to the border I would send you a box of pods and some beef sticks.I am afraid by the time customs got done,the pods seeds would start to sprout and they would eat the sausage. :P

Devv said:
Wow Randy!

Poddage is spectacular!

So how does the summer sausage come out? I've never made any. Ever make Salami? I have a decent recipe.

Two things regarding sausage making:

Here's a great site:

http://www.alliedkenco.com/

They have most everything!

Book I read on sausage and curing:

http://www.sausagemaker.com/71200greatsausagerecipesandmeatcuringbyrytekkutas.aspx

Have a great weekend!
    Whats up Scott,you on the other hand are in my wheelhouse.I get done with the sticks and I will send ya some.The summer sausage turned out friggin great.The dried reds from the garden gave it a nice punch without taking away from the meat.You need to try it,you will never buy bland store sausage for your crackers and cheese trays again.The summer tubes are way to big to pack in my little shipping boxes.Id like to check out the salami recipe.Pm me. ;)
2014-08-22 015.JPG

randyp said:
     Thanks Terry.I took my first pull and made a basic ferment today.Cant wait for it to be ready for some fall sauce.. :P
    P>S I am going to need a hell of a lot more jars.
1105 grams yellow moruga(2 and a half pounds,about)
2tbls pickling salt in 4 cups water for brine
dash of sugar(1 tsp per qrt)
2 lacto tabs per qt
3 big mouth mason with airlocks.
attachicon.gif
2014-08-09 001.JPG
attachicon.gif
2014-08-09 007.JPG

Trying to learn this ferment process.  Lacto tabs is for your growth?  And where do you get the air lock lids at?  

Many thanks.

Rocket Man and a few others have natural starters to choose from.I actually got the Lacto tabs idea from Nigel.As far as the airlocks go,I dug around amazon(only because I get free shipping)I now make my own by getting a bag of rubber grommets,buy the airlocks,and drilling holes in wide mouth jar lids.
       You get into the ferment process,I promise you,the first time you smell how sweet the peppers are as they are working you will be hooked.
  Thanks for the interest Jeff.

Closing out the day,just pulled the sticks.Hate not using natural casings,but sticks are a pain in the butt if you have random length stuffers.The Lucky Dog I infused with the jalapeno's were the perfect heat mix I was looking for.A good beer drinking stick.
The patties were filling me up all day,just taste testing
2014-08-22 013.JPG

The (not natural)casings
2014-08-22 007.JPG

smoke is good
2014-08-22 017.JPG

i hope these last long enough to bag. ;)
2014-08-22 019.JPG

I will look into what it takes to get you a care package Mig.You don't live in a forest,and I think we can ship something.My question is what will they and wont they let me ship?

The sticks look great!

I also have a recipe for slim jims that hits it perfect! The salami recipe is at work, I wrote myself a note. We were in Castroville today and stopped at Dzuick's, LB wanted to try their BBQ sauce. I grabbed a package of their Jalapeno beef sticks, dang they're hot for using Jal's!

Do you use lamb casings for the sticks? I use them for "buck sticks" and the slim jims, but you have to be careful or they split.

tctenten said:
Wow! Very nice Randy. They look delicious. What type of wood did you use to smoke them?
     Apple wood Terry,I like using fruit wood.

Devv said:
The sticks look great!

I also have a recipe for slim jims that hits it perfect! The salami recipe is at work, I wrote myself a note. We were in Castroville today and stopped at Dzuick's, LB wanted to try their BBQ sauce. I grabbed a package of their Jalapeno beef sticks, dang they're hot for using Jal's!

Do you use lamb casings for the sticks? I use them for "buck sticks" and the slim jims, but you have to be careful or they split.
     I wish I had some lamb,the smallest I had was 21mil Collagen.They looked better once I trimmed them into individual sticks.Dang collagen don't hold the twist like natural casings do.How was Dzuicks bbq sauce Scott?

We haven't opened it yet, but wings are on the menu for tonight so we'll give it a whirl.

Well the wife said the beef sticks were Hananero, that explains the heat ;)

We can't find the smaller casings locally, so we order them from Allied Kenco.

I bookmarked that sight Scott.It has lots of stuff I like,thanks.
 On to this mornings pull,and I took a bath after picking.(my face is on friggin fire)
reaper plant
2014-08-24 002.JPG

choco plant
2014-08-24 003.JPG

7-pot X choco plant
2014-08-24 005.JPG

choco pods and 7-pot mix pods
2014-08-24 007.JPG

inside of the 2 pods
2014-08-24 013.JPG

my not brainstrains(dog turds)
2014-08-24 008.JPG

1rst jays red picked and a reaper
2014-08-24 011.JPG

random yellows
2014-08-24 009.JPG

random reds
2014-08-24 010.JPG

5 gal.bagged
2014-08-24 012.JPG

I have everyone and their mother pickling stuff, so today I did eggs with a yellow pod,red pod and choco bhut.Spices were all spice,pickling spice,peppercorns,sugar and vinegar.Poked thru each egg with a toothpick to help infuse the brine.Now,if I can leave them alone is the only problem. ;)
2014-08-24 018.JPG

randyp said:
       I will look into what it takes to get you a care package Mig.You don't live in a forest,and I think we can ship something.My question is what will they and wont they let me ship?

Ya don't say :onfire:

I'm not really sure, but as someone who's shipped most everything you're not supposed to put in the mail, I might be the wrong guy to ask :rofl:  Also at a loss for reciprocation, I don't know if your taste ventures into the habits of long hair beatniks and most people don't like seeds in the mail XD

But a safer bet is smoked salmon. Not my own, I haven't tested those waters yet, but good enough to make up for it.

Storm last night,and one of my choco bhuts dropped a huge branch loaded with pods.What to do?I am hanging it on my porch,might grab an apple and a brown bag like has been suggested.
2014-08-29 002.JPG

Sorry for that Randy.

A lot of them look they will ripen, the apple in the bag is a good thing to try...I've done it and it works well. So will a Banana ;)

Devv said:
Sorry for that Randy.

A lot of them look they will ripen, the apple in the bag is a good thing to try...I've done it and it works well. So will a Banana ;)
Bummer about losing that branch, certainly was loaded with pods. Does the banana or apple help with the ripening process?

Back