• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Sorry Guys Your Favorite Hot Sauce is Bad!!!

salsalady said:
SnF's mouth-
attachicon.gif
burning-pallet-450w-728596501.jpg

;)

Ahhh SL, that's a pallet not a palate. ;)

Close enough! :lol:

I actually do know the difference, along with their, there, and they're. The one that gets me is affect and effect. Took me a long time, used to have to look it up, but I think I got it now.

Why not blend them all, I grab anything on sale, pour them into the blender, add the supers. and funnel them back into a small carry around bottle.

Voodoo 6 said:
Why not blend them all, I grab anything on sale, pour them into the blender, add the supers. and funnel them back into a small carry around bottle.

I was considering doing a half and half mix of Frank's and the fiery hot version of Marie Sharp's habanero pepper sauce to pull back the lime juice flavor. There are several hot sauces that I think would taste a lot better if they'd remove lime from the equation.

I unrepentantly love Tabasco, buy it from Sams Club,Costco, probably should from Bezos... I like vinegary sauces though, so whatevevs. Tabasco is like comfort food to me. Not hot, but I love the taste, especially on stuff ya just throw together in a pinch.

All the rest of the crap they sell to us... Franks is still tasty with wings, Tapatio is ok, cholula... I can’t spell it, I don’t like it. I will eat it tho if it is the only choice. . Yucateo (another misspelling probably)anything is just the always the wrong color for stuff I want to eat. What the hell do they do to it?

boutros said:
I unrepentantly love Tabasco, buy it from Sams Club,Costco, probably should from Bezos... I like vinegary sauces though, so whatevevs. Tabasco is like comfort food to me. Not hot, but I love the taste, especially on stuff ya just throw together in a pinch.

All the rest of the crap they sell to us... Franks is still tasty with wings, Tapatio is ok, cholula... I can’t spell it, I don’t like it. I will eat it tho if it is the only choice. . Yucateo (another misspelling probably)anything is just the always the wrong color for stuff I want to eat. What the hell do they do to it?
I too have always been a fan of the original flavor of Tabasco. I go through a medium bottle in a week.  It's the vinegar-based taste, not necessarily the heat. 

solid7 said:
If I have to eat a hot sauce from off the shelf, it's this one:

https://tabanero.com/

I can't stand the funky taste of rotten peppers.  Lime or no lime.
Way...way...waaaaay....back in the day....I got a bottle of Cappys Brain Strain. No info, but I finally figured out it was a ferment. Which was my first inclination I did not particularly like ferments. Do NOT like the rooster sauce, but have done some ferments which I Love.

Way less salt than Hoy Fong, less fermented flavor, mixed half again fresh ingredients when finishing the sauce.

Rooster isn't fermented vinegar is added to the mash immediately.

salsalady said:
Way...way...waaaaay....back in the day....I got a bottle of Cappys Brain Strain. No info, but I finally figured out it was a ferment. Which was my first inclination I did not particularly like ferments. Do NOT like the rooster sauce, but have done some ferments which I Love.

Way less salt than Hoy Fong, less fermented flavor, mixed half again fresh ingredients when finishing the sauce.

Smokenfire (Drew) introduced me to his fermented sauces, which I have to say, are fantastic. Maybe not as hot as what I'm used to, but I take it that he is more of a culinary connoisseur than a flat out pepper head. (nothing at all wrong with that) 

I tend to go more the route of fresh peppers in vinegar, with my sauces.  I really like the full flavor of the fruit.  I did a couple of experimental ferments this year, neither of which I was happy with.  One was an unpasteurized Habanero and Scotch Bonnet base, with garlic, ginger, and tumeric.  I know that it's health and vitality in a jar, but it's not that good.  I still haven't found a suitable pairing for it, and a sauce with such limited utility, is useless.  Then, I did a ferment with just Red Dominican Habaneros.  It just tastes like Tabasco on steroids. (and I probably got a bit much salt in it)

What has worked for you?  Knowing that you aren't particular to ferments, that is...

I love fermented foods.  Just not peppers.  My fermented pickles are off the chain...

Man, I love hot peppers and it really doesn't matter how they are presented as long as it's not with vinegar.

Don't get me wrong: I like vinegar, just not with peppers. That said, I've consumed many a mini-bottle of tabasco while in the army and often times it was the highlight of my day. I still hate it :-)

podz said:
Man, I love hot peppers and it really doesn't matter how they are presented as long as it's not with vinegar.

Don't get me wrong: I like vinegar, just not with peppers. That said, I've consumed many a mini-bottle of tabasco while in the army and often times it was the highlight of my day. I still hate it :-)

I'm terribly picky about *what type* of vinegar I use.  I prefer champagne or rice vinegar, for flavor.  Nothing white or apple cider, for that application.  I've even liked a few "hipster" vinegars, but when it comes to garden recipes, utility rules the day.  If I can't find it easily, then it was just a nice one-off. 

For me, peppers and vinegar = OK  :  fermented peppers and vinegar = not OK  (usually, as I reserve the right to be wrong on a case by case basis)

Podz, do you make sauces with rocotos?

solid7 said:

Podz, do you make sauces with rocotos?

Yeah, that is our primary use for them. I use citric acid (usually lime juice) as a preservative and canning jars with lids that vacuum themselves while cooling. It's the same whether we're making a chunky salsa or a pureed sauce.

While I have a general dislike for the combination of vinegar and capsaicin, my wife is asthmatic so heated vinegar is an actual problem for her as it is enough to take one's breath away.

:shocked:

TABASCO® ROCOTO PEPPER SAUCE 

" Flavors from the Andes, the Middle East and Louisiana combine to produce the new TABASCO® Rocoto Pepper Sauce.
This vibrant sauce is inspired by Baharat, a traditional Middle Eastern spice blend featuring cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, black pepper and nutmeg.
By mixing these spices with fresh Peruvian rocoto peppers, maple syrup and a dash of TABASCO® Original Red Sauce, we get a Rocoto Pepper Sauce that is zesty and aromatic with a hint of sweetness — a welcome addition to any global pantry. "

$15 bucks a  :hotsauce: bottle  :censored:    :lol:
160mg sodium per tsp serving  :neutral:

https://countrystore.tabasco.com/products/rocoto-pepper-sauce

:think:  I kinda want to try it, but i know i can make good rocoto and manzano sauces  :hotsauce:  myself with less sodium 

Back