• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food Sous Vide and Fiery Foods

Maybe tomorrow I make a steaks.

I have a doubt: First is better cook into SV and after on the grill to finish or the other way around?

In Internet, I see both methods, but not know that will use

cypresshill1973 said:
Maybe tomorrow I make a steaks.

I have a doubt: First is better cook into SV and after on the grill to finish or the other way around?

In Internet, I see both methods, but not know that will use

I prefer the reverse-sear, and I believe the reverse-sear is easier to execute well ...

If you pre-sear, the meat has to be ice-bathed to chill it quickly, because you don't want the outer surface left warm for a while, that's primarily where the pathogens and nasties are, right on the surface ...

If you feel like you haven't generated enough maillard flavors, then you can add pre-sear, SV, and post-sear to try to maximize it ...

There is at least one guy I know who says the penultimate SV burger is pre- and post- seared, but YMMV ...

I'm comfortable suggesting post-sear, especially for someone just getting started ...

If you want the meat to remain truly rare through the process, cook it SV at 52C (~125F) for 45 mins per 3/4" of thickness or so, and then finish it off on the grill, and let it rest for 5 mins ...

Everything should balance out and leave you with a nice rare-mid-rare using those numbers ...

You get really thick steak, and SV cooking time is determined largely by thickness, and so for you - I think we need to extend the time a bit, but not the temp (or you'll be disappointed) ...

If you've got 1.5-2" steaks, cook them for a couple of hours at 52C ...

Patting the steaks dry out of the bag, before searing, will help a lot ... and the component for a maillard reaction are always a little oil (olive is good), a little butter is cool - especially clarified, and a little sugar is helpful (agave, maple, table etc) ...

If you want to go Modernist cray-cray, a little baking soda is the relatively obscure enhancement, but don't screw w/ that unless you still find it lacking doing everything else (hint: you won't) ...

CHEERS!

cypresshill1973 said:
Right! Then, you starting with cold meat (fridge temp) or ambiental temp?
I think that sear cold meat it's better to generate maillard without cook inside.
You believe it?

if you can generate enough heat, yes.

i pre-sear frozen steak using a torch all the time, but it's frozen, so the inner frozen meat cools the surface relatively instantly after it browns ...

if your beef is already frozen, no harm in that whatsoever ...

i was under the impression you were buying fresh butchered beef, from pics you've shared, and i don't think i'd freeze beef just to sear it, when you can reverse sear it ...

the fact remains, whichever way you do it, the meat is going to come out excellent for being treated so carefully during the SV part ...

the work in SV is in making it pretty/appetizing, and believe me - there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with eating a steak out of the bag without the sear, it just doesn't look pretty in pictures ...

it's quite the opposite, really ... there is, in fact, something to be said for just having it as is out of the bag ... the taste of the beef is exceptional when the only cook is the SV itself, no sear ...

I want saying to you.... I thinking to use meat from the refrigerator but not frozen, but cold at 5ºc. I undertand all you say

Every time I buy fresh meat but after is frozen up to I need use it. But I always thawed the day before, I never cook frozen

I can will use the lamp to make millard , I try it... I need to have some practice and find my method

Yeah ... cool.

You can totally put the maillard on while it's frozen, and then defrost and sous vide later, or just vac seal it back up frozen and sous vide from frozen ...

For regular entry size proteins, I believe the rule of thumb for cooking from frozen is to simply add an hour of total cook time ...

CHEERS!

If you have a look on the steak thread for my last one you'll see edge to edge medium rare with no gradations. Mine was sear straight from the refrigerator into smoking hot oil for one minute per side and seared the edges then it went straight back in the fridge for 10 minutes then vac bagged and into the water bath. I finished it on a VERY hot cast iron grill for 1 minute per side. BEST steak I've ever eaten. Pre sear cold steak. Post sear sous vide steak. Meat heaven.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/34237-steak/?p=1200376

made a SV duck breast. put a little coconut milk in the bag, scored the skin and rubbed the whole thing down in masaman paste. Cooked it at 55C for 4 hours. It was perfect, fried the skin in some oil/bacon fat mix. I made some masaman curry to dip it with, but it didn't need it at all. No picture, everyone at it so quickly haha

I don't see a need for a pre-sear, but maybe I should give it a shot just to see how I like it.  I can't imagine why it'd improve things, and all I've read has been of the same mindset.  Not to say I believe everything I read.

hmmm ... more on this later ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438921993.854767.jpg

sounds good, BigB ...

bierz said:

You bought it?  Looks like umami in a bottle.  I hope it's awesome.

The interesting thing will be that you can't pull a full vac without a chamber vac using it ...

I tend to use ziploc vac bags most of the time anyways because I'm lazy and it works mostly just fine using the handpump, but it's basically all of my tricks in a bottle, formulated for balance and tested, I'm sure ...

We'll see.

I might have to do 3 bags ...

1 control bag, 1 product bag, and 1 bag where I try to reproduce it using the ingredients (I have them individually, anyways) ...

I'll order some PLF beef and do a burger shootout ...

Or if not, I'll do it w/ tenderloin medallions ...

Either way, coming soon, within a couple of weeks ...
Deathtosnails said:
I'm gonna be cold smoking a bone in ribeye today over mesquite.  Gonna smoke it for 2 hours see how that goes SV flavour wise

I like this whole experiment with new toys :D

Been enjoying your exploration of it thus far ...

made some oxtail, 28 hrs at 80 and some squash, carrots and potatoes. The oxtail marinated then cooked in sour orange juice, thyme, pepper salt, lots of different powders, but lots of whole dried and powdered trinidad perfume. The mash is a mixture of the squash and potatoes with some drippings and the loose peppers/content from the oxtail bag. Cooked it for 1.5hrs at 80
20150813_192847.jpg

Back