• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food Sous Vide and Fiery Foods

I'm looking forward to doing some of my favourite tasting cuts of meats in sous vides at temps and times I never thought possible.

Fillet?  Tender for those who can't cook it any other way.  Boring otherwise.

Chuck?  Super tasting cut!  Slow cooked, can't be beat.  Grind that into patties!  Best burger.  Haven't tried short rib yet...

Pork belly, pork shoulder and pork neck.

Lamb shanks, bone in leg of lamb

So many more...

Low n slow :D

Speaking of lamb shanks they come out tomorrow sometime.  Seems crazy to cook food for two days.

Grant - what kind of peppers are you going to ferment?  I did a blend of carrots, cauliflower, jalapenos and garlic for 2 weeks and it turned out great. 

I want to do duck confit in the sous vide next, but I'm not sure where to find the duck.  I'll probably hit Whole Foods this week to make that happen.

And anyone on the fence with the Searzall --- if you can afford it you should make the move.  Trust me.

michigan+30.jpg

steak-1-2.jpg

I saw that one a few days ago.  I've got a plan in mind for producing light smoke for the drum smoker.  I want to be able to cold smoke for up to 10 hours.

Instead of the vacuum, I was going with a low speed impeller and a bigger smoke chamber and aluminium tubing.  Just gotta get my lazy ass into gear lol

48 hours later...Phew!  Never cooked anything that long before.  End of the cook.  Was actually 51 hours at the end just cause I didn't want dinner at 3.00 pm.
P8032611_zpsstrg7wjt.jpg

63 C for 51 hours.  I was worried before opening the bag that things could have gone wrong, things like not pasteurised, flavours from the sauce gone funky, lamb gone funky, meat turned to mush.

ALL unfounded!  First smell was so aromatic!  First taste of the sauce was woohoo!  First impression of the meat was juicy, tender with some bite. Going here again very soon!  Only thing I added was some salt and dried chillies.

P8032615_zpsxweimq8e.jpg

Served with jasmine rice and some garlic and herb naan with natural yoghurt.  I could have easily eaten 2 more plates of this.

Pics were a pain because of crap lighting and an intesnse desire to inhale this meal and not faff about.

P8032621_zps2sipzhta.jpg

While at Local Foods (Butcher and Larder, specifically), I picked up a few sausages along with my steak.  This morning I cooked two breakfast patties at 65C for an hour with some eggs.  I made a sandwich on french bread with basil, pickled jalapenos and fresh mozzarella.  Very tasty.

20078581629_0fc4e42f1b_b.jpg

20077323568_a2293c1991_b.jpg

Weird cheese for that! But looks good.

Back