• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Sous Vide and Fiery Foods

I figured that I would just start a sous vide thread since I've been using the immersion circulator like crazy. It's no wonder that top chefs throughout the world are using this technique. The textures and flavors are that come out are amazing. Precision temperature cooking makes for predicable and repeatable results. It's great for infusing spices and herbs into foods as they're vacuum sealed inside.

If you're interested in trying it and don't want to buy any expensive equipment, all you need is a thermometer, a spare cooler and a ziplock freezer bag. This method works great for fish or tender cuts of beef. For fish heat the water to 125-130 degrees F and pour into the cooler. Place your fish in a ziplock bag and using the water immersion technique leave the top of the bag open while you submerge the fish so that the water pressure forces the air out of the bag. Once the air is out and you're nearing the top of the bag, close it up and clip it or tape it down to the side of the cooler and close the lid. For beef try water at 129 F (rare), 136 F(med rare), 140-150 F (medium to well). Sear in a very hot pan, or finish under a very hot broiler or grill.

Here's a few things I've done with it and I welcome anyone else's experiences, opinions, or ideas. 

Jamaican Jerk Turkey Breast with 'Rice and Peas' and Fried Plantains

7DtbvDp.jpg

Miso Tilefish with Baby Bok Choy and Shiitake Mushrooms

GVVfQKl.jpg

Ribeye with the Perfect Egg Yolk
vc0OVwi.jpg

XOc7aZb.jpg

The Hot Pepper said:
Nice stuff up in here!

Even Grant's imaginary steak. :rofl: Dude hallucinating in the wee hours.

LOL. I did work into the late-night for the 1st time in a few months, and slept on the couch - that's true ...

DTS switched streams and posted it to the steak thread, is all, though ...

i only use chao koh coconut milk. take the cream on top, fry it in the wok with a bit of oil, add 3 tbs of curry paste. let that cook for a bit. add 3 tbs of fish sauce and 1tbs of palm sugar.  Cook for a bit and add some broth to give more volume. I stir fried the eggplant and peppers before hand but added it in once it simmered down a bit. Once everything is in the curry and cooked add a handful of fresh thai basil and thinly sliced kaffir lime leaf and the rest of the can of coconut milk. 

grantmichaels said:

LOL. I did work into the late-night for the 1st time in a few months, and slept on the couch - that's true ...

DTS switched streams and posted it to the steak thread, is all, though ...

Nah you totally imagined it...

Raw steak Posted Yesterday, 11:18 PM
Your 2 comments on it... then 4 hours later....
Mmm steak! Posted Today, 03:17 AM
Finished steak Posted Today, 05:55 AM

:lol:

Let me borrow that time machine.

The Hot Pepper said:

Nah you totally imagined it...

Raw steak Posted Yesterday, 11:18 PM
Your 2 comments on it... then 4 hours later....
Mmm steak! Posted Today, 03:17 AM
Finished steak Posted Today, 05:55 AM

:lol:

Let me borrow that time machine.

I see what it is now ...

that was Mmm steak as in ... "Mmm, I know I was supposed to see some steak by now - where's it at?" ... it was prompting ... I often prompt the Aussie's ... Booma, too, LOL ... "Come on Booma, drop that Q I saw on Instagram two hours ago w/ all the other photos in here real quick" ...

LOL.

Now I see what you mean ...

It wasn't "mmm look at that steak."

I suck at words.

Dinner...

In two days time.

P8012601_zpssfzqk11a.jpg

Browned off first

P8012602_zpsrw0bqhem.jpg

Curry paste mixed with a tin of diced tomatoes.  Major PITA to vac bag this.  Semi froze it first then made an extra large bag, folded the top over 3 times to make a clean hem and then vac sealed it holding the machine with the bag hanging below.  Got there in the end with some patience.

P8012608_zpsffp8niou.jpg

Cook is on now @ 62 C for 48 hours in the 7L bath.

Ok Grant I'm looking to purchase now found the sous vide machine you recommended.
Do i need a vacuum packing machine? And any recommendations would be appreciated.

oldsalty said:
Ok Grant I'm looking to purchase now found the sous vide machine you recommended.
Do i need a vacuum packing machine? And any recommendations would be appreciated.

Need is relative ...

I think you want one eventually, a food saver or what not ...

It's absolutely not necessary in the beginning, though ...

The little ZipLoc bags w/ the little port w/ the little plastic suction thing are great  ... I use the shit out of mine ... in fact, if you look at my cooks since folks have gotten back into sous vide, I've used them exclusively ...

So, no ... I do not believe you need a vac sealer IMO ... like a Searzall, it's a good add-on down the line, though ...

The Anova and Sansaire are both highly regarded. In my case, I liked the outflow port of the Sansaire - and well, the design (sleek, black, blue led) ...

Get in there, man!

grantmichaels said:
Need is relative ...

I think you want one eventually, a food saver or what not ...

It's absolutely not necessary in the beginning, though ...

The little ZipLoc bags w/ the little port w/ the little plastic suction thing are great  ... I use the shit out of mine ... in fact, if you look at my cooks since folks have gotten back into sous vide, I've used them exclusively ...

So, no ... I do not believe you need a vac sealer IMO ... like a Searzall, it's a good add-on down the line, though ...

The Anova and Sansaire are both highly regarded. In my case, I liked the outflow port of the Sansaire - and well, the design (sleek, black, blue led) ...

Get in there, man!
Thanks Grant!! :) cool glad to be able to wait on the vac sealer limited cash flow. The Sansaire looks like a winner!! :) and ziplock on my list. Stoked to start. Thanks again brother.

It'll be great to have your contributions ...

Each next person has brought new stuff to the table, and I'm looking forward to seeing how you use it ...

Everyday sous vide posts is unexpected and rockin' ...

Anova fan here.  I'm sure the Sansaire is great, but I have zero issues with my setup.  I agree with Grant -- a vacuum sealer is only needed if you're doing very long cooks - over a few hours.  I say this because you want to trust your seal.  If you're dedicating a lot of time to a cook you don't want any chance of your zip seal coming apart.

I love the searzall and really do consider it a crucial component of my cooking.  Sure, you can sear off your foods in a cast iron or on a grill, but you cook it that way.  I love "painting" with my torch to get the crust I want without heating the food much. 

I made surf and turf tonight.  I visited Rob Levitt of Butcher and Larder today at Local Foods, as we talked about earlier (maybe in the steak thread).  I asked for his most fun cut and he said "anyone can cook a ribeye, but if you're cooking sous vide, let's get you something fun."  He got me a 2" thick chuck eye, which he said was a meatier cut similar to a rib eye.  I cooked that for 3 hours at 58 C, tossed a lobster tail in for the last hour, and made a salad of fresh mozzarella, farmers market tomatoes and basil from the garden with some nice olive oil.  I always like a horseradish cream sauce with my steak, so you'll see that as well.  Garlic bread to round things out.

20031477649_2d2b097c3b_b.jpg

It was fantastic.  Growing up Polish I have a soft spot for horseradish, but I almost feel this sauce is a necessity with steak.  I love the contrast of acid, burn, and coldness against the rich meatiness.  This was my first go with chuck eye, and Rob steered me right.  This was excellent and I'll be doing it again.  There's glory in cooking say, a crazy tomahawk steak, but that's way spendy.  These less common cuts reward those who let them render for a while.

My favorite steak is round, or US London Broil ;)

Brisket, short-rib, chuck, and filet are my next fav's!

I might try some peppers in the kraut source jars tomorrow, maybe start a fermented sauce? ...

Nice capture too!

CHEERS

Back