• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spankyscolts 2013 Growlog

After the recent passing of my best friend and grow partner I almost decided not to grow anything this year but after much thought decided just this past weekend to drop some seeds and go forward with the season. I then wasn't sure I was going to keep a GLOG because of how busy things get, last year I struggled to keep up with it and at some point let it go altogether. Like my season I decided to go forward with a GLOG as well but will probability not update it as often. Besides my friends passing the place we rent developed a leak in the roof that leaked through the ceiling in the room I use to grow, and as of this posting it has still not completely repaired by our Landlord. I am getting a much later start than I prefer but it's like they say better late then never.

Like last year I am using rapid rooter style plugs as they worked so well last year. This year I am putting 2 seeds per plug when possible and am using more of my own seeds than last year. Because of the hole in the ceiling I am preparing the trays here but then they will go to another friends house until my room is available to me. Here's the list which is a little smaller than last year.

1. Bombay Morich 4/0
2. TS Moruga Satan 4/0
3. Yellow Scorpion 4/0
4. Moruga X Scorpion 4/0
5. Yellow Brain Strain 4/0
6. Yellow Moruga 4/0
7. 7 Pot Jonah 4/0 *
8. 7 Pot Douglah 4/0
9. Chocolate Scorpion 4/0
10. 7 Pot Primo 6/0
11. Carolina Reaper 6/0
12. Red Brain Strain 4/0 *
13. Butch T2 4/0 *
14. Fatali- Red Savina Cross 4/0 *
15. Moruga Red 4/0 *
16. Bih Jolokia 4/0 *
17. 7 Pot Yellow 4/0 *
18. Bonda Ma Jaques 4/0 *
19. Dorsett Naga 4/0 *
20. Monster Infinity 4/0 *
21. Lemon Aji 2/0 *
22. Moruga Blend 6/0 *
23. 7 Pot Barrickipore 4/0 *
24. Naga Viper 6/0 *
25. Choc. Bhut Jolokia 4/0
26. Datali 4/0
27. Douglah Red 4/0
28. Chocolate Habanero 4/0
29. 7 Pot Red 4/0
30. Caribbean Habanero 2/0 *
31. Bhut Jolokia 4/0
32. Naga Morich 4/0
33. Fatali 4/0
34. Red Savina 4/0
35. Purple Jolokia 4/0

Varities marked with an (*) are ones started by my own seeds.

Here's a pic of my temporary set-up before moving it to a friends house. There's a total of 35 varieties and 144 plants.

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_9520.jpg

I use a heat mat with thermostat set at 84 degrees when I finally added a thermostat last year my results greatly improved. It appears sideways in this pic because the outlet is sideways ; )

IMG_2103.jpg

We had several overwinters in a grow room at my friends house, but because of his passing I have not been able to get into the house until his family was moving it. I went over yesterday and packed up the lights, timers, and such. I took the overwinters also but they did not look good. Many were dry and brown, I brought them home and trimmed them up, watered them with a dilute Pro Grow and Vitamin B mix and blessed them; ), now I will just wait and see what happens. Two were tossed and several others maybe should of been but hope springs eternal ; ). The only place I have to keep them is outside so Im hoping for mild weather. Here's some pics.

IMG_4828.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg

Well there you have her a delayed start to the 2013 season after a few setbacks, a modest beginning. Thanks for checking in, I'll post again in a few weeks.

Amazing list!
Just for curiosity, what are you doing when both seeds in the plug sprout? Separate or choose the best looking?

Good luck!

Datil

Thanks !! Don't really have a hard and fast rule but in most cases will cut down the weaker of the two. With a few strains I will leave 2 as last year my best Butch T was one I left that way and on some cases if a strain doesn't germinate well I may try to seperate them to get the number I want. The beauty of 2 seeds is germ rates are far better and it gives you options .. It is hard to destroy perfectly good sprouts though lol

looking good. Seeing alot of those plugs being used around here lately! Seem to produce good germ rates!

I love the plugs!! First off there's no mess, they are easy to handle, and you can see the seed so if you're inpatient like me there's no wondering what's going on. I won't use anything other. They only cost .20 cents each and they keep I had some left over from last year and they were still viable. Try them you will love em!

Well here it is day six and we have our first sprout, it was promptly moved into another tray under the lights into the same spot it was in the germination tray. The first to arrive this year is a Moruga Red started from our own seeds. Looks like there's another Red, a Lemon Aji, Moruga Blend and a Red Brain Strain and a few others almost ready all from our own seeds. So far the fastest sprouters have been our seeds!!

IMG_2850.jpg

I'm new here, so I thought I'd say hi. I'm the other half of this GLOG this year. I'm new to growing peppers, but thanks to Spanky's knowledge and wisdom, we are off to a hell of a start!!! We will try to keep this updated and current as possible

Well tomorrow will be a full 2 weeks since we dropped seed and thus far we have about 100 of 144 up and many more showing signs of life. Here's an updated list

1. Bombay Morich 4/2
2. TS Moruga Satan 4/4
3. Yellow Scorpion 4/4
4. Moruga X Scorpion 4/3
5. Yellow Brain Strain 4/3
6. Yellow Moruga 4/2
7. 7 Pot Jonah 4/4*
8. 7 Pot Douglah 4/3
10. 7 Pot Primo 6/2
11. Carolina Reaper 6/6
12. Red Brain Strain 4/4*
13. Butch T2 4/2*
14. Fatali- Red Savina Cross 4/4*
15. Moruga Red 4/3*
16. Bih Jolokia 4/1*
17. 7 Pot Yellow 4/4*
18. Bonda Ma Jaques 4/0*
19. Dorsett Naga 4/2*
20. Monster Infinity 4/3*
21. Lemon Aji 2/2*
22. Moruga Blend 6/5*
23. 7 Pot Barrickipore 4/3*
24. Naga Viper 6/6*
25. Choc. Bhut Jolokia 4/2
26. Datali 4/4
27. Douglah Red 4/1
29. 7 Pot Red 4/1
30. Caribbean Habanero 2/2*
31. Bhut Jolokia 4/2
32. Naga Morich 4/3
33. Fatali 4/3
34. Red Savina 4/2
35. Purple Jolokia 4/1

Varities marked with an (*) are ones started by our own seeds.

Once again the Bonda Ma Jaques are being stubborn last year it took me 20 seeds to get one plant am I the only one who struggles with this pepper. Here's some pics

IMG_7946.jpg

New leaves !

IMG_5321.jpg

Overwinters taking advantage of a dry sunny
Oregon day

IMG_4404.jpg

Tomorrow we will re-seed a few of the plugs, as we want at least 2 of every variety. Will try and update again next week. Thanks for stopping by!

Don't feel bad, i didn't get a bonda after going thur all my seeds this year. Sowed to separate times. That's the only one out of the few that bugs me. Your germination rates are high otherwise!

Ok folks time for another quick update. First a updated count of germinated seeds

1. Bombay Morich 4/4
2. TS Moruga Satan 4/4
3. Yellow Scorpion 4/4
4. Moruga X Scorpion 4/4
5. Yellow Brain Strain 4/4
6. Yellow Moruga 4/4
7. 7 Pot Jonah 4/4*
8. 7 Pot Douglah 4/4
10. 7 Pot Primo 6/5
11. Carolina Reaper 6/6
12. Red Brain Strain 4/4*
13. Butch T2 4/2*
14. Fatali- Red Savina Cross 4/4*
15. Moruga Red 4/4*
16. Bih Jolokia 4/2*
17. 7 Pot Yellow 4/4*
18. Bonda Ma Jaques 4/1*
19. Dorsett Naga 4/4*
20. Monster Infinity 4/3*
21. Lemon Aji 2/2*
22. Moruga Blend 6/6*
23. 7 Pot Barrickipore 4/3*
24. Naga Viper 6/6*
25. Choc. Bhut Jolokia 4/4
26. Datali 4/4
27. Douglah Red 4/1
29. 7 Pot Red 4/4
30. Caribbean Habanero 2/2*
31. Bhut Jolokia 4/4
32. Naga Morich 4/4
33. Fatali 4/4
34. Red Savina 4/3
35. Purple Jolokia 4/3

Varities marked with an (*) are ones started by our own seeds.

The exciting news is we finally got a Bonda Ma Jaques up here's a pic

IMG_2990.jpg

Because I use these in a hotsauce I make its important that I get a few of these. I started some more seeds Ina napkin and just yesterday found this ... yaay!!

IMG_7548.jpg

The bad news is we have gotten zero Chocolate Scorpions or Chocolate Habaneros although my partner said there's a taproot showing on one of the Chocolate Scorp seeds. All the others are coming along nicely here's some pics.

IMG_8493.jpg

IMG_8095.jpg

Check out these Purple Bhuts

IMG_7403.jpg

A quick check of the roots and it looks like we are a couple of weeks away from potting up the first time hopefully we get another Bonda or two and perhaps a Chocolate Scorp

IMG_8484.jpg

And here's a baby Butch T2 started from our own seeds. It came from a successful germination test, just couldn't bring myself to toss out the seed lol.

IMG_9643.jpg

Well that's the update for now thanks for checking in. We'll be back with more on a week or so.

Looking good Spanky!!! Got a couple stubborn varieties, but pretty darn good #s across the board. With others popping like that you know it ain't your fault if some don't pop!

Hey everyone Im a little behind on my update, but as they say better late than never. Last week I transplanted about 120 seedlings into 3.5 inch pots. They had been in rapid rooter style plugs and were looking a little frail.As always I use a 50/50 mix of Ocean Forest and Happy Frog along with 10% course perlite and then amend it with Oyster Shell for calcium. Here's some pics

IMG_6596.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg

IMG_3850.jpg

You will also be glad to hear that we were finally successful in getting some Bonda Ma Jaques to germinate....yay!

I also heard about a new cross called the Fatali Gourmet Jigsaw that is supposed to be a wicked son-of-a-gun ... Sooooo ... I ordered some seeds !
And today ... THEY SHOWED UP !!!

IMG_4696.jpg

I will get these down tomorrow and will feature them on my GLOG throughout the season. Well that's it for now see you all next time. Thanks for stopping by !!

Awesome news on the bondas!
So for the record, how many seeds in each pack of jigsaws?
Look forward to seeing that one grow out.

Awesome news on the bondas!
So for the record, how many seeds in each pack of jigsaws?
Look forward to seeing that one grow out.

Sorry just saw this ... I got 2 packs one had 8 seeds the other had 7 so 15 total for about $30 counting shipping and the euro to dollar conversion. It's been 3 days since I put em on the heat mat and I already see tap roots!! ; )

They gotta be fresh, but three days is killer! & Thanks for the info.
I did find the other post where you gave count, but i appreciate the reply. :)
The insides looked serious on the website. Will have to give us a full review as I'm sure many eyes will be watching for that one.
Take care &
Happy growing!

Just a quick update on the Jigsaw seeds today is the 29th about 8 days and I started 6 plugs with 2 seeds each and I now have 8 little Jigsaws! A couple had 2 pop so I extracted the extra and popped it in a plug. A couple have a extra wing here's a pic of the newest additions to my tribe ; )

Little Jigsaw 3 wing freaks lol

IMG_8725.jpg

IMG_9406.jpg

Back