• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spankyscolts 2013 Growlog

After the recent passing of my best friend and grow partner I almost decided not to grow anything this year but after much thought decided just this past weekend to drop some seeds and go forward with the season. I then wasn't sure I was going to keep a GLOG because of how busy things get, last year I struggled to keep up with it and at some point let it go altogether. Like my season I decided to go forward with a GLOG as well but will probability not update it as often. Besides my friends passing the place we rent developed a leak in the roof that leaked through the ceiling in the room I use to grow, and as of this posting it has still not completely repaired by our Landlord. I am getting a much later start than I prefer but it's like they say better late then never.

Like last year I am using rapid rooter style plugs as they worked so well last year. This year I am putting 2 seeds per plug when possible and am using more of my own seeds than last year. Because of the hole in the ceiling I am preparing the trays here but then they will go to another friends house until my room is available to me. Here's the list which is a little smaller than last year.

1. Bombay Morich 4/0
2. TS Moruga Satan 4/0
3. Yellow Scorpion 4/0
4. Moruga X Scorpion 4/0
5. Yellow Brain Strain 4/0
6. Yellow Moruga 4/0
7. 7 Pot Jonah 4/0 *
8. 7 Pot Douglah 4/0
9. Chocolate Scorpion 4/0
10. 7 Pot Primo 6/0
11. Carolina Reaper 6/0
12. Red Brain Strain 4/0 *
13. Butch T2 4/0 *
14. Fatali- Red Savina Cross 4/0 *
15. Moruga Red 4/0 *
16. Bih Jolokia 4/0 *
17. 7 Pot Yellow 4/0 *
18. Bonda Ma Jaques 4/0 *
19. Dorsett Naga 4/0 *
20. Monster Infinity 4/0 *
21. Lemon Aji 2/0 *
22. Moruga Blend 6/0 *
23. 7 Pot Barrickipore 4/0 *
24. Naga Viper 6/0 *
25. Choc. Bhut Jolokia 4/0
26. Datali 4/0
27. Douglah Red 4/0
28. Chocolate Habanero 4/0
29. 7 Pot Red 4/0
30. Caribbean Habanero 2/0 *
31. Bhut Jolokia 4/0
32. Naga Morich 4/0
33. Fatali 4/0
34. Red Savina 4/0
35. Purple Jolokia 4/0

Varities marked with an (*) are ones started by my own seeds.

Here's a pic of my temporary set-up before moving it to a friends house. There's a total of 35 varieties and 144 plants.

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_9520.jpg

I use a heat mat with thermostat set at 84 degrees when I finally added a thermostat last year my results greatly improved. It appears sideways in this pic because the outlet is sideways ; )

IMG_2103.jpg

We had several overwinters in a grow room at my friends house, but because of his passing I have not been able to get into the house until his family was moving it. I went over yesterday and packed up the lights, timers, and such. I took the overwinters also but they did not look good. Many were dry and brown, I brought them home and trimmed them up, watered them with a dilute Pro Grow and Vitamin B mix and blessed them; ), now I will just wait and see what happens. Two were tossed and several others maybe should of been but hope springs eternal ; ). The only place I have to keep them is outside so Im hoping for mild weather. Here's some pics.

IMG_4828.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg

Well there you have her a delayed start to the 2013 season after a few setbacks, a modest beginning. Thanks for checking in, I'll post again in a few weeks.

Nice army of seedlings! Those Jigsaws sound cool. I can't bring myself to spend top dollar on them though. I'm always late to the party with these new varieties. I always regret sleeping on them too. Hope you get pods soon. Good luck!

75% germ rate at 8 days! woot woot!
I like when you get the three leafed cotyledons. Always wanted to have one grow out with three true leaves too. Maybe one day i will see it.
Awesome news Spanky!

Nice army of seedlings! Those Jigsaws sound cool. I can't bring myself to spend top dollar on them though. I'm always late to the party with these new varieties. I always regret sleeping on them too. Hope you get pods soon. Good luck!

I should have seeds next year ... look me up ; )

75% germ rate at 8 days! woot woot!
I like when you get the three leafed cotyledons. Always wanted to have one grow out with three true leaves too. Maybe one day i will see it.
Awesome news Spanky!

You've never had a 3 wing freak ? I get a few every year !

Nice! Last time I checked the Jigsaws weren't available yet...guess ya snooze ya lose! Too late for any additions this year, I would like to see them all "officially" tested. Last I heard the Reapers weren't even "official" yet. Guess the "officials" can't even keep up with the pepper arms race!

Looking great so far Spanky! I will be watching!

Nice! Last time I checked the Jigsaws weren't available yet...guess ya snooze ya lose! Too late for any additions this year, I would like to see them all "officially" tested. Last I heard the Reapers weren't even "official" yet. Guess the "officials" can't even keep up with the pepper arms race!

Looking great so far Spanky! I will be watching!

Thanks ! ... I thought the Reaper was tested ?

Nope on the three true leaves, plenty of three cotyledons though.

Yea that's what these are cotyledons 3 of em or as I call 3 wing freaks ! Lol

Sorry that Im just now getting around to an update but the reason can be summed up in one word APHIDS !! lol. I sent all plants over to my partners place as the room I was using to grow had a leak in the roof above that had to be repaired .

IMG_7789.jpg

Once it was repaired I had half the plants brought back over and discovered APHIDS so once the panic subsided we sprayed all plants at both places with a healthy dose of Safers Soap twice and multiple inspections since demonstrate all bugs gone. I gave the plants some dilute nutes and they have responded very well.

IMG_9192.jpg

IMG_9340.jpg

IMG_2653.jpg

Here's a few pics of some baby's of the new variety Fatali Gourmet Jigsaw

IMG_6348.jpg

IMG_4404-1.jpg

Here's a pic of two Red Brain Strain started from my own seeds and one of them is much bigger and lankier and Im a little bit afraid it may have been crossed . Could it be?? Or could it just be a very healthy Brain ?? Any thoughts anyone ??

IMG_6474.jpg

I've also placed a tray of extra Carolina Reapers, Naga Vipers and a few others outside to experiment with hardening off. This was a disaster for me last year. Today they got 1 hour of sun then were pulled back under a sheltered porch where they will stay overnight then tomorrow they will get 2 hours etc. I may play with the times by using 45 min intervals instead or alternating hour and half hour increments. Will let you all know how it goes.

Yeah...the Reaper was tested...but not officially tested from what I gather.

The one on the right looks to be crossed with an annuum to me. Could be something cool!

Yeah...the Reaper was tested...but not officially tested from what I gather.

The one on the right looks to be crossed with an annuum to me. Could be something cool!

Yea I think you're right about the Annuum I took precautions protecting the supers one from another but did not protect them form the annuums I grew for Salsa because I WRONGLY thought they could not cross ... Should I grow it out ??

Dammit APHIDS !! These like buggers are proving to be tougher than I thought they would be. Dosed them again with Safers Soap washed all carriers and trays and am a little stressed I hope this isn't a sign for the season lol

Here's a couple of recent pics, these are after being sprayed the THIRD time for APHIDS so all things considered they don't look too bad

IMG_7165.jpg

IMG_3447.jpg

My test tray for hardening off is in day 6 outside for 6 hours and so far they are perfect next week I'll move the lot outside .. hoping to have the same results. ; )

Last night I gave them a dilute mix of ProGro, CalMag, Maxicrop Seaweed feeding by filling the trays allowing the plants to wick it up from underneath. I take 2 cups of each of the above at full strength and put that in a gallon jug and fill the rest of the way with water, then fill each tray til they get their fill.

So like Ive mentioned earlier I started a tray of scrubs (extras) outside to harden off they are 6 days 6 hours into that process and except for a little burn here and there they are doing well, here's a pic but its taken at night

IMG_7664.jpg

Here's a pair of Carolina Reapers that are part of the scrub tray

IMG_5086.jpg

So tonight I put the plants I have here outside and tomorrow I'll start the same process 1 hour in the sun increasing by an hour each day. These are a little more leafy so I'm a little nervous. It's 9 pm here in Portland and I just set 4 trays outside to start we have another 4 trays at my partners house that are struggling with APHIDS so until
thats under control they will stay indoors. Here's a pic of the four trays

IMG_5065.jpg

I will keep you all posted. I still have a few Fatali Gourmet Jigsaws under the light as they are still
a little small to harden ..Thanks for stopping by !

Absolutely nuts. Love the updates. Nice legion of plants.

Drop by mine and let's keep up with these jigsaws

Yea I was there yesterday interesting set up you have. I will keep my eye on your progress. Here's one of my Jigsaws... Ain't she sexy?

IMG_9247.jpg

I have all my plants outside today for the first time. The plan was to give them am hour but its overcast here today so Im letting them go longer maybe 3-4 hours will see. Here's a couple pics of what I refer to as ROOTAGE ...lol Beautiful healthy roots. I use a 50/50 mix of Ocean Forest and Happy Frog .. The HF has microbes and fungi that's good for the roots !

IMG_7913.jpg

IMG_9233.jpg

Looking killer bro. Glad the overwinters made it through.
You have had a rough 2013 season, if there is anyone that deserves a killer grow and harvest it is you my man. Here is to growing superhot peppers in the PNW 

hotjohn9 said:
Looking killer bro. Glad the overwinters made it through.
You have had a rough 2013 season, if there is anyone that deserves a killer grow and harvest it is you my man. Here is to growing superhot peppers in the PNW 
Thanks John! I appreciate that very much! Things are starting to come together !

Quick update everyone with pics. We seem to have gotten a handle on the APHID problem
and continue to harden off the plants, the weather remains overcast and damp, I can't tell if this is a curse or a blessing but it seems to be helping a bit. Here's a couple of pics taken this afternoon

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_3606.jpg

IMG_7094.jpg

Here's a couple of Datali's the same seeds as last year , notice the upper leaves how they curl up, the plants last year did the same thing and maintained that look somewhat throughout the entire season anybody ever seen that?

IMG_7855.jpg

Here's a Bhut Jolokia top and bottom

IMG_4503.jpg

IMG_7318.jpg

Well that's it for now, will check in again soon. Oh I almost forgot I scored some Bubblegum 7 seeds along with some 7 Pot Savannah x 7 Pot Long and 7 Pot Burgundy should be here any day in the mail wonder if its too late to start em .. humm....

Back