• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spankyscolts 2013 Growlog

After the recent passing of my best friend and grow partner I almost decided not to grow anything this year but after much thought decided just this past weekend to drop some seeds and go forward with the season. I then wasn't sure I was going to keep a GLOG because of how busy things get, last year I struggled to keep up with it and at some point let it go altogether. Like my season I decided to go forward with a GLOG as well but will probability not update it as often. Besides my friends passing the place we rent developed a leak in the roof that leaked through the ceiling in the room I use to grow, and as of this posting it has still not completely repaired by our Landlord. I am getting a much later start than I prefer but it's like they say better late then never.

Like last year I am using rapid rooter style plugs as they worked so well last year. This year I am putting 2 seeds per plug when possible and am using more of my own seeds than last year. Because of the hole in the ceiling I am preparing the trays here but then they will go to another friends house until my room is available to me. Here's the list which is a little smaller than last year.

1. Bombay Morich 4/0
2. TS Moruga Satan 4/0
3. Yellow Scorpion 4/0
4. Moruga X Scorpion 4/0
5. Yellow Brain Strain 4/0
6. Yellow Moruga 4/0
7. 7 Pot Jonah 4/0 *
8. 7 Pot Douglah 4/0
9. Chocolate Scorpion 4/0
10. 7 Pot Primo 6/0
11. Carolina Reaper 6/0
12. Red Brain Strain 4/0 *
13. Butch T2 4/0 *
14. Fatali- Red Savina Cross 4/0 *
15. Moruga Red 4/0 *
16. Bih Jolokia 4/0 *
17. 7 Pot Yellow 4/0 *
18. Bonda Ma Jaques 4/0 *
19. Dorsett Naga 4/0 *
20. Monster Infinity 4/0 *
21. Lemon Aji 2/0 *
22. Moruga Blend 6/0 *
23. 7 Pot Barrickipore 4/0 *
24. Naga Viper 6/0 *
25. Choc. Bhut Jolokia 4/0
26. Datali 4/0
27. Douglah Red 4/0
28. Chocolate Habanero 4/0
29. 7 Pot Red 4/0
30. Caribbean Habanero 2/0 *
31. Bhut Jolokia 4/0
32. Naga Morich 4/0
33. Fatali 4/0
34. Red Savina 4/0
35. Purple Jolokia 4/0

Varities marked with an (*) are ones started by my own seeds.

Here's a pic of my temporary set-up before moving it to a friends house. There's a total of 35 varieties and 144 plants.

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_9520.jpg

I use a heat mat with thermostat set at 84 degrees when I finally added a thermostat last year my results greatly improved. It appears sideways in this pic because the outlet is sideways ; )

IMG_2103.jpg

We had several overwinters in a grow room at my friends house, but because of his passing I have not been able to get into the house until his family was moving it. I went over yesterday and packed up the lights, timers, and such. I took the overwinters also but they did not look good. Many were dry and brown, I brought them home and trimmed them up, watered them with a dilute Pro Grow and Vitamin B mix and blessed them; ), now I will just wait and see what happens. Two were tossed and several others maybe should of been but hope springs eternal ; ). The only place I have to keep them is outside so Im hoping for mild weather. Here's some pics.

IMG_4828.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg

Well there you have her a delayed start to the 2013 season after a few setbacks, a modest beginning. Thanks for checking in, I'll post again in a few weeks.

I've had 4 trays of plants outside attempting to harden them off but ever since being out it has been cloudy and overcast and I'm not sure how this affects the process. Anyone out there with experience hardening off under overcast skies?

Glad you scored the seeds. It's not going to be long to see who's grow true, and who's turn out to be the moruga pheno. Good luck with those!
I have a few doing the same leaf curl. I assume it's from over fert / hot spot in the soil, but could be magnesium deficiency too. The few that did it last year grew out of it once planted in the ground, so not sure. Thus year it's two devils tongues whites doing it.
I skipped the 7 burgs this year, and wish i didn't. Maybe next year. Hope to see them grow out.

Cloudy skys still let UV thru. So can still harden off. And can leave them out longer too in it. Just cut back when the sun breaks again.

GA Growhead said:
Glad you scored the seeds. It's not going to be long to see who's grow true, and who's turn out to be the moruga pheno. Good luck with those!
I have a few doing the same leaf curl. I assume it's from over fert / hot spot in the soil, but could be magnesium deficiency too. The few that did it last year grew out of it once planted in the ground, so not sure. Thus year it's two devils tongues whites doing it.
I skipped the 7 burgs this year, and wish i didn't. Maybe next year. Hope to see them grow out.

Cloudy skys still let UV thru. So can still harden off. And can leave them out longer too in it. Just cut back when the sun breaks again.
Yea for me it was/is Datali's that are curling. The same seeds that did it last year. I think it's genetic. And yes mine grew out of it as well though it lingered a bit.

Haha...still starting seeds. Glad I kicked the habit for the season! Plants look real good, my baccatums get some weird leaf stuff going under the lights, but they always flatten out outside. Mine curl down instead of up though??? Maybe some cal would fix it??? As long as they produced well for you last year I wouldn't sweat it too much. Time to get them babies planted out!!!

stc3248 said:
Haha...still starting seeds. Glad I kicked the habit for the season! Plants look real good, my baccatums get some weird leaf stuff going under the lights, but they always flatten out outside. Mine curl down instead of up though??? Maybe some cal would fix it??? As long as they produced well for you last year I wouldn't sweat it too much. Time to get them babies planted out!!!
Yea it's just those 2 Datali's and I hear ya on the plant out! Should be outside by another week!! Yea (sheepishly staring at floor hands clasped behind back) still planting seeds ... I got it bad ..

Hey, Robin; glad to see you are back in the saddle, brother,
with an awesome list to boot!
Your starts and OWs all look great.  i knew the OWs would
spring back to life for ya,  It looks like the Rapid Rooters are
pretty effective.  I messed with some Jiffy plugs this season
but wasn't impressed.  Maybe I'll give those a go next season.
I think the greatest danger in hardening off here in our area is
drowning.  Mine do fine in this kind of weather as long as it's
not too cold (below 40) and they protected from the rain.  Mine
are out pretty much 24/7 now; they would like a bit of warm sun!

Paul ! How are you? I hope well ! Yea my plants are out 24/7 now as well but should still get a few days in the sun a bit before full on sunshine. I'm gonna pot some up soon and hopefully sell some to fund the soil I need. I HIGHLY endorse the plugs, I get them for .20 cents each and in my opinion you just can't beat em! No mess and you can see inside them to check up on your seed, then when ready to transplant they are extremely easy to handle. I won't use anything else. We should hook up sometime. I was in a dark place for a bit after my friend took his life but I'm starting to come out of it a bit. Thanks for stopping by!

The weather has my season stalled at the moment, I have about 15 plants hardened off ready to transplant and another 72 almost hardened needing another day or 2 of sunshine and yet another roughly 60 plants at my partners place that have not begun the hardening process they've had an aphid problem that we are trying to get a handle on, then there's about 6 plants here still under the light most of which are a new varity called Fatali Gourmet Jigsaw along with a couple of late popping Bondas and lastly I have about 10 plugs on a heat mat with seeds sent me ( I know it's late but I couldn't help myself ) So in the interest of keeping the GLOG fresh Im gonna share some pics of the Jigsaws I have under the lights ... here they are

IMG_4423.jpg

IMG_6588.jpg

Here's a couple of close-ups

IMG_2213-1.jpg

IMG_1549.jpg

As a side note I really love Maxicrops Seaweed ! I love the affect it has on seedlings. I've used it on some plants and withheld it from others and the plants that got it just look better ... Healthier !

SUCCESS !!! The plants are hardened off without any lost or hurt. Im really behind this season and am hoping for an Indian Summer which could happen here in Oregon. Im transplanting the keepers into gallon pots this weekend (if my knee allows) then selling the rest! My partner just started hardening off the other half at his place. I just got back from the Doctor as Ive had major pain in my knee, he says he thinks I tore my meniscus. For now he shot it up with cortisone and a numbing solution and we will wait and see how it goes. Heres some pics of the plants rejoicing in the sun ...

IMG_6107.jpg

IMG_3764.jpg

Don't they look happy ? I got a few Jigsaws just starting the process all in all things are going well if not a little behind !!

great to know your plants are hardened.. when i planted out.. i did it in stages just to make sure... be careful with them cortisone shots... use it if you plant on going on a trip and it hurts.. but as regular theraphy.. no bueno...

Well I potted up about 50 plants out of the 80 I have into 1 gallon pots this evening. These are the 50 Im keeping to grow out. I may plant a few more in the ground but intend to sell the rest. My partner still has about 60 or so at his place. Here are a couple of pics.

IMG_6303.jpg

IMG_7333.jpg

Well that's it for now just a short update, we are hardened and transplanted once they get a little size on em I will pot them into 5 or 7 gallon pots .

Since Im just hanging out waiting for my peppers to grow into 5 gallon shoes thought I'd update the GLOG with a pic of them doing just that and then some overwinters that are starting to spring to life.

Ladies in waiting

IMG_6858.jpg

Bih Jolokia OW

IMG_6543-1.jpg

Naga Viper OW

IMG_2518.jpg

Red Savina/ Fatali Cross OW ( Just a guy)

IMG_9456.jpg

7 Pot Yellow OW

IMG_1827.jpg

I post more next time around !!

Hey Robin, Glad you OW'd the Fatali/Savina.  I didn't save that one,
but I have a great little plant from it's seed.  It has a lot of diff pod shapes
on it so far.  The F/S makes a great powder to my taste.  

You have a great looking grow going there, Robin.  I forgot what kind of
lighting you used in your grow room - it had your plants off to a good start.
I've put my 3-gal and less plants back in the greenhouse for the last week
of cool weather.  They will come out tomorrow for our stretch of 80-degrree
weather.  Can ya dig it?  Maybe summer is finally here!

Back