• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spankyscolts 2013 Growlog

After the recent passing of my best friend and grow partner I almost decided not to grow anything this year but after much thought decided just this past weekend to drop some seeds and go forward with the season. I then wasn't sure I was going to keep a GLOG because of how busy things get, last year I struggled to keep up with it and at some point let it go altogether. Like my season I decided to go forward with a GLOG as well but will probability not update it as often. Besides my friends passing the place we rent developed a leak in the roof that leaked through the ceiling in the room I use to grow, and as of this posting it has still not completely repaired by our Landlord. I am getting a much later start than I prefer but it's like they say better late then never.

Like last year I am using rapid rooter style plugs as they worked so well last year. This year I am putting 2 seeds per plug when possible and am using more of my own seeds than last year. Because of the hole in the ceiling I am preparing the trays here but then they will go to another friends house until my room is available to me. Here's the list which is a little smaller than last year.

1. Bombay Morich 4/0
2. TS Moruga Satan 4/0
3. Yellow Scorpion 4/0
4. Moruga X Scorpion 4/0
5. Yellow Brain Strain 4/0
6. Yellow Moruga 4/0
7. 7 Pot Jonah 4/0 *
8. 7 Pot Douglah 4/0
9. Chocolate Scorpion 4/0
10. 7 Pot Primo 6/0
11. Carolina Reaper 6/0
12. Red Brain Strain 4/0 *
13. Butch T2 4/0 *
14. Fatali- Red Savina Cross 4/0 *
15. Moruga Red 4/0 *
16. Bih Jolokia 4/0 *
17. 7 Pot Yellow 4/0 *
18. Bonda Ma Jaques 4/0 *
19. Dorsett Naga 4/0 *
20. Monster Infinity 4/0 *
21. Lemon Aji 2/0 *
22. Moruga Blend 6/0 *
23. 7 Pot Barrickipore 4/0 *
24. Naga Viper 6/0 *
25. Choc. Bhut Jolokia 4/0
26. Datali 4/0
27. Douglah Red 4/0
28. Chocolate Habanero 4/0
29. 7 Pot Red 4/0
30. Caribbean Habanero 2/0 *
31. Bhut Jolokia 4/0
32. Naga Morich 4/0
33. Fatali 4/0
34. Red Savina 4/0
35. Purple Jolokia 4/0

Varities marked with an (*) are ones started by my own seeds.

Here's a pic of my temporary set-up before moving it to a friends house. There's a total of 35 varieties and 144 plants.

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_9520.jpg

I use a heat mat with thermostat set at 84 degrees when I finally added a thermostat last year my results greatly improved. It appears sideways in this pic because the outlet is sideways ; )

IMG_2103.jpg

We had several overwinters in a grow room at my friends house, but because of his passing I have not been able to get into the house until his family was moving it. I went over yesterday and packed up the lights, timers, and such. I took the overwinters also but they did not look good. Many were dry and brown, I brought them home and trimmed them up, watered them with a dilute Pro Grow and Vitamin B mix and blessed them; ), now I will just wait and see what happens. Two were tossed and several others maybe should of been but hope springs eternal ; ). The only place I have to keep them is outside so Im hoping for mild weather. Here's some pics.

IMG_4828.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg

Well there you have her a delayed start to the 2013 season after a few setbacks, a modest beginning. Thanks for checking in, I'll post again in a few weeks.

Just a quick note to update the cross I have. I know it's silly but I find this exciting ! The plant now has several Jalapeño looking pods starting but they are all bumpy looking. Here's a pic of the oldest one.

IMG_6823.jpg

So far it's a little shorter than a standard Jalapeño but you can tell that's the form it wants to take. I want to pick it but wisdom says let it turn color, Im itching to taste it and see if its hot

The plants are really starting to look good and come into their own. All have flowers and some have pods. For this update Im gonna highlight the Carolina Respers I have going here's some pics

IMG_8161.jpg

IMG_8922.jpg

In the dirt ...

IMG_7706.jpg

Some flowers and buds

IMG_2534.jpg

Last week I broke the top off of a Primo plant broke it in half it was hanging by a strand .. So I taped it back together with scotch tape lol then staked it then tied it up, here it is 1 week and a half later, after it broke I planted it in the ground .

IMG_0028.jpg

It looks great then today I DID IT AGAIN! Good grief !! This time it was a Yellow Morouga and it was a clean break! I tried the same treatment but I don't think it's gonna have the same result

IMG_9236.jpg

Thanks for stopping by !!

Today I potted 1 each of the following plants into 7 gallon pots.. Jigsaw, Carolina Reaper, 7 Pot Primo, Naga Viper, TS Morouga Satan. I'm hoping my late start still gets me heaps and heaps of pods! One of my Jigsaws has pods on it check it out here ....

IMG_9404.jpg

Well Im really starting to feel like I started too late this season. While I have many flowers and pods going Im just not sure there's enough time to get the harvest I had hoped for but literally only time will tell and at the very least a lesson for next year.

Every year I grow Jalapeños for my salsa and I love them personally , this year I decided to give Billy Biker a try. Today I picked my first one and sliced it up and threw it on some hotdogs and MAN I LOVE THESE! Great flavor good heat an all around winner !! The only Pickled Jalapeño reciepes that I have include oregano and I don't like them .. Anyone out there have a non oregano reciepe?

IMG_2966.jpg

PepperDaddler said:
Post pics when it does, please. That should be interesting.

Got pods yet?
Yeap the plant is about 3 foot tall and has pods that look like little jalapeños only bumpy and lumpy lol.. Here's one

IMG_6823.jpg

Bumpypeno ?

I got a late start this year and may not get the results I did last year because of it but U do have some pods a popping .. here are some pics.

TS Moruga Satan Strain

IMG_8777.jpg

7 Pot Barrackpore

IMG_6927.jpg

Fatali

IMG_5638.jpg

Jigsaw

IMG_4994.jpg

7 Pot Red

IMG_1312.jpg

Purple Bhut Jolokia

IMG_8663.jpg

Fatali- Red Savina Cross (Justaguy)

IMG_3002-1.jpg

Will upload some more later !!

Here's a few pics of some overwinters

Here's a TUCA

IMG_5661.jpg

Bih Jolokia

IMG_4536.jpg

Fatali- Red Savina cross (Justaguy)

IMG_0697.jpg

Yellow 7 Pot

IMG_3312.jpg

Here's murders row 2 Jigsaws, and 2 Carolina Reapers in the ground along side a 7 Pot Primo in a 7 gallon pot

IMG_6634.jpg

Things are turning out pretty good for you. Not nearly the crazy production you had last year but you did have a few
bumps in the road the beginning of the season. Keep me post my man

hotjohn9 said:
Things are turning out pretty good for you. Not nearly the crazy production you had last year but you did have a few
bumps in the road the beginning of the season. Keep me post my man
Yea started too late this year .. I wasn't going to grow anything but got bitten by that pepper bug again and before I knew it I had multiple trays under the lights but more and more its looking like its too late. Oh well lesson learned an expensive lesson at that

Here's a pic of the "Bumpypeno" Im growing its a cross between a Brain Strain and a Jalapeño it's starting to ripen, soon as it does Im gonna give it a try! More info to come !

IMG_6635.jpg

Man today I picked the first ripe pod from my Brain Strain - Jalapeño cross and tried it. OH MAN !! When you cut it open you get a hint of the Jalapeño smell but it's quickly overpowered by the capsaicin. It has a hint of jalapeño flavor and is a bit sweet but HOT!!! I think it's a keeper !! The plant is 3 foot tall. Here's some pics

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_1879.jpg

Here it is compared to a Billy Biker Jalapeño still on the plant

IMG_0491.jpg

And here it is cut in half you can see the capsaicin !

IMG_2541.jpg

There you have it the Bumpypeno lol !

Well it's been awhile since I updated yrufly Ive been a little discouraged because of the late start my pods are just now turning color and its Sept here in Oregon meaning the weather could turn at anytime now ... Meanwhile here are some pods !

Yellow 7 Pot

IMG_7464.jpg

IMG_8033.jpg

Jigsaw

IMG_2445.jpg

Fatali

IMG_0712.jpg

Fatali-Red Savina Cross (Justaguy)

IMG_2124.jpg

Purple Jolokia

IMG_3281.jpg

IMG_6960.jpg

Turning yellow Moruga (I think)

IMG_4775.jpg

Red Savina

IMG_1035.jpg

A little Moruga

IMG_7257.jpg

There are more but this is all the pics it'll let me load at one sitting !!

Back