• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spankyscolts 2013 Growlog

After the recent passing of my best friend and grow partner I almost decided not to grow anything this year but after much thought decided just this past weekend to drop some seeds and go forward with the season. I then wasn't sure I was going to keep a GLOG because of how busy things get, last year I struggled to keep up with it and at some point let it go altogether. Like my season I decided to go forward with a GLOG as well but will probability not update it as often. Besides my friends passing the place we rent developed a leak in the roof that leaked through the ceiling in the room I use to grow, and as of this posting it has still not completely repaired by our Landlord. I am getting a much later start than I prefer but it's like they say better late then never.

Like last year I am using rapid rooter style plugs as they worked so well last year. This year I am putting 2 seeds per plug when possible and am using more of my own seeds than last year. Because of the hole in the ceiling I am preparing the trays here but then they will go to another friends house until my room is available to me. Here's the list which is a little smaller than last year.

1. Bombay Morich 4/0
2. TS Moruga Satan 4/0
3. Yellow Scorpion 4/0
4. Moruga X Scorpion 4/0
5. Yellow Brain Strain 4/0
6. Yellow Moruga 4/0
7. 7 Pot Jonah 4/0 *
8. 7 Pot Douglah 4/0
9. Chocolate Scorpion 4/0
10. 7 Pot Primo 6/0
11. Carolina Reaper 6/0
12. Red Brain Strain 4/0 *
13. Butch T2 4/0 *
14. Fatali- Red Savina Cross 4/0 *
15. Moruga Red 4/0 *
16. Bih Jolokia 4/0 *
17. 7 Pot Yellow 4/0 *
18. Bonda Ma Jaques 4/0 *
19. Dorsett Naga 4/0 *
20. Monster Infinity 4/0 *
21. Lemon Aji 2/0 *
22. Moruga Blend 6/0 *
23. 7 Pot Barrickipore 4/0 *
24. Naga Viper 6/0 *
25. Choc. Bhut Jolokia 4/0
26. Datali 4/0
27. Douglah Red 4/0
28. Chocolate Habanero 4/0
29. 7 Pot Red 4/0
30. Caribbean Habanero 2/0 *
31. Bhut Jolokia 4/0
32. Naga Morich 4/0
33. Fatali 4/0
34. Red Savina 4/0
35. Purple Jolokia 4/0

Varities marked with an (*) are ones started by my own seeds.

Here's a pic of my temporary set-up before moving it to a friends house. There's a total of 35 varieties and 144 plants.

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_9520.jpg

I use a heat mat with thermostat set at 84 degrees when I finally added a thermostat last year my results greatly improved. It appears sideways in this pic because the outlet is sideways ; )

IMG_2103.jpg

We had several overwinters in a grow room at my friends house, but because of his passing I have not been able to get into the house until his family was moving it. I went over yesterday and packed up the lights, timers, and such. I took the overwinters also but they did not look good. Many were dry and brown, I brought them home and trimmed them up, watered them with a dilute Pro Grow and Vitamin B mix and blessed them; ), now I will just wait and see what happens. Two were tossed and several others maybe should of been but hope springs eternal ; ). The only place I have to keep them is outside so Im hoping for mild weather. Here's some pics.

IMG_4828.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg

Well there you have her a delayed start to the 2013 season after a few setbacks, a modest beginning. Thanks for checking in, I'll post again in a few weeks.

PaulG said:
Hey Robin, Glad you OW'd the Fatali/Savina.  I didn't save that one,
but I have a great little plant from it's seed.  It has a lot of diff pod shapes
on it so far.  The F/S makes a great powder to my taste.  

You have a great looking grow going there, Robin.  I forgot what kind of
lighting you used in your grow room - it had your plants off to a good start.
I've put my 3-gal and less plants back in the greenhouse for the last week
of cool weather.  They will come out tomorrow for our stretch of 80-degrree
weather.  Can ya dig it?  Maybe summer is finally here!
Hey Paul!! I use T5 HO lights with 6600 Kevin bulbs. Hope that helps. Yea that Red Savina Fatali cross is a great pepper (shout out to Justaguy! )
Hello everyone It's been awhile since I updated the GLOG so here I am. I have to one degree or another been dealing with aphids this year. We have been able to keep them in check but unable to get rid of them altogether. The plants here at my place that Im keeping are in 1 gallon pots getting ready to go into 5's. The ones at my partners place just went into 1 gallon pots. He just got a promotion and has been busy. I think I have given too much nitrogen as my plant stems are a little soft but hoping it balances out in the fives. I have a lot of yellow leaves on the bottom of the plants that are falling off but new growth looks good. Starting to see flowers and some mini buds. My partner says he has flowers popping all over the place! Here's some pics

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_4778.jpg

IMG_8233.jpg

IMG_7196.jpg

IMG_9599.jpg

Well there it is my latest update. Thanks for stopping by. I'll update again after potting into the fives !

I have one plant that looks crossed so Im gonna follow it closely. I can't wait to see what comes of her. Check it out here.

IMG_9977.jpg

It was supposed to be a Brain Strain but looks like it crossed with an Annum. Check out how it bolted in the mid section. I planted this one in the ground and it remains one of my most beautiful plants in that every leaf is perfect in shape and color just looks overall very healthy. It has flowers on it now and I will try and remember to update it each post along with these

IMG_7601.jpg

Those are Fatali Gourmet Jigsaws. Im growing out 4 or 5 can't remember. These 2 went through a calcium deficient spell as the leaves became all puckered and split but after potting up and amending they have responded well.

Robin. your plants look great.  They are just screaming for those 5's!
Nice to have a stretch of good growing weather, eh?
It will be interesting to see what that cross produces for you.

PaulG said:
Robin. your plants look great.  They are just screaming for those 5's!
Nice to have a stretch of good growing weather, eh?
It will be interesting to see what that cross produces for you.
Yeap starting the fives today !!
buddy said:
very nice!  looks like a lot of heat is going to be generated this year!
Thanks man !
Spicegeist said:
Ah, FG Jigsaw...
Yeaper can't wait to see one of this babies sprout !

Well today is the day to start potting into fives from ones but unlike last year I'll do it a little at a time. Im waiting on more 5 gallon pots so today I'll start with the pots I have here which are about 15.I may move some of the OW's into sevens and use the fives they currently reside in. Well here we go !

IMG_8427.jpg

This isn't enough by a long shot but it will get me through today ; )

Rock-n-Roll, Robin!
Just did the last of my plant out today!
Whew!

Here's a first look at the offspring of my cross, It's a Brain Strain that crossed with a Annum, a Jalapeño I think ...

IMG_4530.jpg

I know it's early so it's hard to tell what it will end up like but wouldn't it be cool if it turned into a bumpy super hot Jalapeño ?

All right, Robin!  Wicked looking potential there.

PaulG said:
All right, Robin!  Wicked looking potential there.
Yea it's exciting !!! It's a Brain Strain crossed with a Jalapeño I think. I did not know that supers and Anuums could cross. Silly me. Wouldn't it be cool to get a super hot Jalapeño ?? What should I call it ?

Ok finished potting into fives today, current count is as follows 51 plants in 5 gallon pots , 8 OW's in 5 gallon pots , 2 OW's in 7 gallon pots and 6 plants in 1 gallon pots that I haven't decided if I will pot up plant in ground or toss our or give away. I have another dozen or so in the ground. Here are some pics.

IMG_4376.jpg

IMG_7875.jpg

Many are starting to flower heavily and a few have pods so I need to start working on measures to seperate and somewhat isolate as best I can. I will be doing some grouping and separating as much as possible. Am open to ideas from anyone as space is limited. So far the few that have pods are our seeds from last year and they look true. Well thanks for stopping by will see you in a few!

You could take one plant at time, move away or inside, mark all the unopened flowers. Wait till the marked flowers set and then move back and grab the next to isolate. Otherwise you bagging.
Plants look killer! They are going to fill up that spot in no time!

GA Growhead said:
You could take one plant at time, move away or inside, mark all the unopened flowers. Wait till the marked flowers set and then move back and grab the next to isolate. Otherwise you bagging.
Plants look killer! They are going to fill up that spot in no time!
You know last year we didnt isolate perfectly we just did the best we could between 2 places and a grow room and so far so good. About 1/3 of the plants we're growing or more are from our seeds. I made one mistake last year in that I took NO precautions protecting the supers from the annuums and sweets I use for salsa as I did not think they could cross but I have had a couple of instances were they did. This year Im wiser. I have a lot of folks growing this year with my seeds and Im hoping to hear good things from everyone , so far so good.

So you said bagging please explain I need inexpensive what exactly do you have in mind?

Back