• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicegeist 2014 - The Year of the Bhut

This year I'm growing primarily bhut/naga types.

Not much to look at now, but thought I'd kick things off since I'm already starting seeds:

Here's my list:
  1. Red Bhut
  2. Choco Bhut
  3. Yellow Bhut
  4. Peach Bhut
  5. Shabu Jolokia
  6. Naga King
  7. Naga Morich
  8. Naga Suomi
  9. Dorset Naga
  10. Guwahati Bhut
  11. Pale Bhut / Bih Jolokia
  12. Jay's Peach
  13. Fatalii
  14. Lota Bih
  15. C. galapagoense

Spicegeist said:
Very nice!  I really appreciate it.  I'll definitely keep my Peach Bhut.  It's looking much better now, just about ready to pot up:

12080044794_ccdb493be3_b.jpg
Stunning photo...

Glad your keeping the Peach Bhut Charles! I thought the fresh pods I got from Judy were amazing in looks and flavor. She seemed to me to prefer/ recommend the Peach habs for their longevity of freshness vs. the bhut. I certainly liked em both. I think overall my Peach Bhuts aren't as healthy strong as others but I'll make sure some will survive my grow box bhut camp!

jedisushi06 said:
Peach Bhut looks great to me.

capsidadburn said:
Glad your keeping the Peach Bhut Charles! I thought the fresh pods I got from Judy were amazing in looks and flavor. She seemed to me to prefer/ recommend the Peach habs for their longevity of freshness vs. the bhut. I certainly liked em both. I think overall my Peach Bhuts aren't as healthy strong as others but I'll make sure some will survive my grow box bhut camp!

I just put my Peach Bhut into a bigger pot, I'm curious what the pods will look like, there seems to be a bit of variation with these.

maximumcapsicum said:
Yellow Bhut popped yesterday Charles! Can't wait to grow it out.

Keep the amazing photos coming!

Alright, good to hear.  Good luck with it... it is an awesome pepper.

Had a little fresh Peach Bhut with lunch earlier today:
12089310365_ffdb2ea45f_z.jpg

Thanks again Walt!

Nice looking pepper for lunch.  I loved my peach bhut from last year.  I put one in a half gallon of pickles and it was plenty hot for me.  Excellent aroma.  More than the peach hab, but I loved the peach hab as well.  Should grow the peach hab again but I have a gallon bag full in the freezer.

Good luck on your grow.  Keep the pics coming.

I had four peach bhut plants last year and each one was different shaped, one making red pods even. I kept seeds from each phenotype to grow out, to see what grows, and also have new seeds for this year. Definitely not stable yet.
Yours is a beaut though!

Could there be a large genetic variation for the peach bhut?

Here's mine as a seedling, my leaves look more elongated than hearty like yours.

Btw the pods you got are from this plant, and seeds should be isolated since there were no other plants flowering at the time this one was. If you want to save the seeds.

-Walt

Got more sprouts today, 1 queen laurie x yellow bhut F2, 1 cap501 x bhut F2, and 2 sonoran tepin x 7pot barrackpore. Oh can't forget 1 Chiltepin Tarahumara had sprouted also.... Im really looking for that tepin to produce some serious pods this season...

Vegas_Chili said:
Could there be a large genetic variation for the peach bhut?

Here's mine as a seedling, my leaves look more elongated than hearty like yours.

Btw the pods you got are from this plant, and seeds should be isolated since there were no other plants flowering at the time this one was. If you want to save the seeds.

-Walt

Yeah, I have a few questions about the Peach Bhut, still somewhat mysterious to me.  I was looking through a seed catalog and thought the Peach Bhut kind of looks like this "orange habanero type:"
12093223185_d1af2eebca_c.jpg

I got my seeds from cmpman1974, here's what his look like:

I also have seed from muskymojo, but did not sow them this year:
aUCTION010.jpg

Portuge said:
Got more sprouts today, 1 queen laurie x yellow bhut F2, 1 cap501 x bhut F2, and 2 sonoran tepin x 7pot barrackpore. Oh can't forget 1 Chiltepin Tarahumara had sprouted also.... Im really looking for that tepin to produce some serious pods this season...

Incredible.  You're going to have a lot of really interesting pods this year.  The Tarahumara was one of my favorites, definitely my favorite Chiltepin so far... maybe it's just luck, but it was very tasty and very productive for me, it would form 3 branches at every fork instead of 2 as tends to be usual.

Pics of my overwinter Tarahumara:
12097267896_9c579b22de_b.jpg

12096983454_ebeb9f7ba5_b.jpg

Something fishy is going on here with these two seedlings, like you had told me you had some purple plants around it... Well here's how the other seedling looks right now.....

Purple looking Indiana Piquin as i showed you before
74dcde5d-20b5-47a2-948f-4156557a3a95_zps1ff22fbe.jpg

Second seedling looks normal
d938de07-b765-4a82-b413-c58a3c42b9c3_zpsc678acc0.jpg

Back