• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicegeist 2014 - The Year of the Bhut

This year I'm growing primarily bhut/naga types.

Not much to look at now, but thought I'd kick things off since I'm already starting seeds:

Here's my list:
  1. Red Bhut
  2. Choco Bhut
  3. Yellow Bhut
  4. Peach Bhut
  5. Shabu Jolokia
  6. Naga King
  7. Naga Morich
  8. Naga Suomi
  9. Dorset Naga
  10. Guwahati Bhut
  11. Pale Bhut / Bih Jolokia
  12. Jay's Peach
  13. Fatalii
  14. Lota Bih
  15. C. galapagoense

Plants are forking.  I'm plucking the flower buds as I spot them.

How they look at the moment:
12279625085_f9d98e3cc9_b.jpg

A Choco Bhut:
12279609035_f74001b44d_b.jpg

A Shabu Jolokia:
12280166556_e35dbeac58_b.jpg

Plants are forking.  I'm plucking the flower buds as I spot them.

How they look at the moment:
12279625085_f9d98e3cc9_b.jpg

A Choco Bhut:
12279609035_f74001b44d_b.jpg

A Shabu Jolokia:
12280166556_e35dbeac58_b.jpg

Very nice! Love that sea of green.

How beneficial can plucking the buds be? I never done that before and just let the plants as is. I have 2 plants putting out buds, and might consider plucking the buds.

-Walt

Vegas_Chili said:
Very nice! Love that sea of green.

How beneficial can plucking the buds be? I never done that before and just let the plants as is. I have 2 plants putting out buds, and might consider plucking the buds.

-Walt

Yeah, the plucking probably doesn't matter.  The idea is to not have the plant waste any energy on flowers and for it to put the energy into just growing more robust.

Portuge said:
Simply beautiful plants, now these are just getting natural light right Charles or are you supplmenting with lights?

No, no natural light yet, these are under CFL.  I figured what the hey, I'll just leave them there until they get unmanageable.

Man, your grow has really proceeded quickly Charles... forkage already, really?! :party:   I was having some trouble getting my wild seeds started, so I finally bit the bullet and broke out the Horticubes. I got a little crazy and planted more varieties than I have space for, but it's a lottery, and I'm never sure how many will survive to plant-out. Besides, I'll find homes for the extras if I have any. Continued success brother!

Gathered up everything I got going at the moment besides the two Galapas from you Charles and took a pic.. Here's what i have growing so far...
Group photo
b648a7f5-e18f-408a-a8bc-5afb1308ae4e_zps5d918784.jpg

There were some that didn't even sprout for me, checking my notes right now... Cumari Pollux x Donne Sali didn't sprout and Cap 501 x Donne Sali didn't sprout either...

Looking good Charles!

Those babies are dirt ready and now!

Fantastic plants and pics to match!

I see a stellar year in the making! AND spring can't come soon enough!

stickman said:
Man, your grow has really proceeded quickly Charles... forkage already, really?! :party:   I was having some trouble getting my wild seeds started, so I finally bit the bullet and broke out the Horticubes. I got a little crazy and planted more varieties than I have space for, but it's a lottery, and I'm never sure how many will survive to plant-out. Besides, I'll find homes for the extras if I have any. Continued success brother!

Yeah, this is the first year I'm growing them like this, plucking the flowers, letting the plants get somewhat strong before the season really gets started.  We'll see how things turn out.  Too many plants isn't such a bad idea sometimes, especially if a few don't work out like you were hoping, the others can compensate.

Portuge said:
Gathered up everything I got going at the moment besides the two Galapas from you Charles and took a pic.. Here's what i have growing so far...
Group photo
b648a7f5-e18f-408a-a8bc-5afb1308ae4e_zps5d918784.jpg

There were some that didn't even sprout for me, checking my notes right now... Cumari Pollux x Donne Sali didn't sprout and Cap 501 x Donne Sali didn't sprout either...

Wow, what a collection :fireball: .  Are you really going to grow that many plants or are you just finding the strongest of the bunch to grow?

My second year growing the Lota Bih.  Pretty sure this is a stable C. frutescens x C. chinense cross.  I haven't grown a lot of frutescens, but from what I have grown, the plants never looked as much like a chinense as these:
12308922224_b0db182f86_c.jpg

It'd be great to find out if this really is one of the ancestors of the bhut like it's rumored to be...

I'd be curious to know if anyone has grown any other C. frutescens that look this much like a C. chinense... how unique is this plant?

My second year growing the Lota Bih.  Pretty sure this is a stable C. frutescens x C. chinense cross.  I haven't grown a lot of frutescens, but from what I have grown, the plants never looked as much like a chinense as these:
12308922224_b0db182f86_c.jpg

It'd be great to find out if this really is one of the ancestors of the bhut like it's rumored to be...

I'd be curious to know if anyone has grown any other C. frutescens that look this much like a C. chinense... how unique is this plant?

Wow, those look great!!

What soil do you use? Just curious.

-Walt

Back