• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicegeist 2014 - The Year of the Bhut

This year I'm growing primarily bhut/naga types.

Not much to look at now, but thought I'd kick things off since I'm already starting seeds:

Here's my list:
  1. Red Bhut
  2. Choco Bhut
  3. Yellow Bhut
  4. Peach Bhut
  5. Shabu Jolokia
  6. Naga King
  7. Naga Morich
  8. Naga Suomi
  9. Dorset Naga
  10. Guwahati Bhut
  11. Pale Bhut / Bih Jolokia
  12. Jay's Peach
  13. Fatalii
  14. Lota Bih
  15. C. galapagoense

Vegas_Chili said:
Yeah it definitely looks like a cross. The leaf shape is quite different, but it does look a lot like the chacoense. I have 4 CAP 501... they germinate too good LOL. They germinated a couple days apart and the cross has longer sexy cotyledons than the chacoense. I really like this one.

Cumari pollux x Donne sali doesn't want to germinate. I'm gonna sow one last round... and I'm putting down the rest of the seed to see if any germinate.

-Walt

One thing I remember with the chacoenses, their leaves are very dull, almost matte in comparison to frutescens and chinenses which have a glossier looking leaf.

Too bad about the praetermissum cross, but it was a long shot anyway...

Spicegeist said:

One thing I remember with the chacoenses, their leaves are very dull, almost matte in comparison to frutescens and chinenses which have a glossier looking leaf.

Too bad about the praetermissum cross, but it was a long shot anyway...
I know what you mean, it's kinda like a different shade of green. I'm growing 5-6 types of chacoense and one sent to me by a friend in Argentina :D.

The Cobincho is the one that stands out of all so far. The green is like a dark blue-green and the cotyledons are soooo narrow. Very different than any other capsicum I've seen. I'll be updating my glog tomorrow or if I have time today. Most of the chacoense family with the step sister :D.

-Walt

I really enjoyed the CAP 501, I'm overwintering my plant, probably the same one in the pic since this is actually the second year I'm overwintering the same plant.

I wonder how the other chacoenses will taste... good work on getting everything started.  That CAP 501 x Donne Sali is pretty small, I hope it makes it to fruit, fingers crossed!

I really enjoyed the CAP 501, I'm overwintering my plant, probably the same one in the pic since this is actually the second year I'm overwintering the same plant.

I wonder how the other chacoenses will taste... good work on getting everything started.  That CAP 501 x Donne Sali is pretty small, I hope it makes it to fruit, fingers crossed!

Thanks I hope so too. I have a different plan this year, and I hope it all works out.

I don't want to count chickens before they hatch, but I do hope to share whatever comes out. I feel like I owe everyone here LOL...

-Walt

Hey Charles, sown several of the seeds you sent me from this past season... Starting to see some sprouts here and there...
Sown 1-1-14 Donne Sali
82c6c5f6-482c-4ae0-8164-eda6945f0f4f_zps5380fac1.jpg

Sonoran Tepin x 7pot Barrackpore
9eb4959f-109b-4862-bf3b-067c057e24f0_zps3a1ab817.jpg

Indiana Piquin
134b3698-2b7e-4790-a516-73262c849443_zpsd3594db6.jpg

Since I sown these on 1-1-14, i did sow another set on 1-11-14 as a back up if some of the first ones don't sprout for me... Patience is going to kill me...lol

Portuge said:
 I did each one by one to eliminate the possibility of mixing up seeds... As to it coming out purple could be something coming out in the genes or it could be the coldness of my garage...

Maybe, but it looks very purple!

I did have a few purple plants around... Pimenta Morango, Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut F2, Pimenta da Neyde (and one more I forget at the moment) were all growing on my patio last year.

I guess we'll find out in time...

maximumcapsicum said:
Love the purple peppers. Wonder if they are more shade tolerant?

that is indeed a good question, i see a lot of leaf darkening happening here because of light intensity ... those could really be more resistant to it  :surprised:

All your plants are looking great bro.  Love the dedication to the Bhut types this season ... its always been your one of your favourites though hasn't it??  Best of continued luck ... looking great so far!!

Trippa said:
All your plants are looking great bro.  Love the dedication to the Bhut types this season ... its always been your one of your favourites though hasn't it??  Best of continued luck ... looking great so far!!

Thanks Trippa, yes it's true, bhuts were my first superhot love, and I still have a thing for them.  I'm also very excited about a particular Fatalii from Wisconsin that I'm growing, it looks like a good one, and I haven't grown Fataliis in a couple years.  If it turns out nice, I'll be sure to keep it in my yearly must-grow arsenal.  It's just such a classic and interesting pepper.

My Peach Bhut is starting to look better, I think I'll be able to pot it up before too long:
12003939773_b419ed48d0_b.jpg

My Yellow Bhut is also looking better after a lagging behind the others, so I just put it in a one-gallon pot for some more room to grow:
12003929133_351aa71d87_b.jpg

Spicegeist said:
Here's a pic of my little cross from this morning:

11755637726_0ca55e9c6c_b.jpg

Here's a seedling grown from seed from this pod:
12004586006_8a4248bd35_z.jpg

Back