• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicegeist 2014 - The Year of the Bhut

This year I'm growing primarily bhut/naga types.

Not much to look at now, but thought I'd kick things off since I'm already starting seeds:

Here's my list:
  1. Red Bhut
  2. Choco Bhut
  3. Yellow Bhut
  4. Peach Bhut
  5. Shabu Jolokia
  6. Naga King
  7. Naga Morich
  8. Naga Suomi
  9. Dorset Naga
  10. Guwahati Bhut
  11. Pale Bhut / Bih Jolokia
  12. Jay's Peach
  13. Fatalii
  14. Lota Bih
  15. C. galapagoense

Nice looking Jay's Peach pod:
14635730034_13526dccd7_b.jpg

14451261009_3d21940f5b_b.jpg

Big Bhut phenotype #1 (two pics):
14451908057_e5e6614196_b.jpg

14451709658_946a8f154d_b.jpg

Big Bhut phenotype #2 (two pics):
14451708889_8ba1864025_b.jpg

14451728208_547af34e4e_b.jpg

Four freshly started C. galapagoense plants, each plant was grown from seed from a different pod:
14635107671_a0423762f4_b.jpg

Chiltepin pod:
14638418625_881d3cd32e_b.jpg

maximumcapsicum said:
I am digging the Big Bhut and the Jay's peach man. Thanks for the pics!

Tomorrow I am doing a big pull from your yellow bhuts and on Monday I am going to do a yellow bhut-mango sauce. I have high hopes. 

That'll be a good sauce... I'm growing Fataliis and Yellow Bhuts this year, but I think I'll cut the Fataliis out of next year's lineup.

Here are some CGN 17020 I picked the other day, I need to come up with a more catchy name for these, maybe just "bird pepper"
14616277806_bdb8a9aa88_b.jpg

Since they're from the same general region, I'm thinking they may be Guam Boonies, but I haven't had those fresh, so I'm not really sure :think: .

Well, they do look different from some other pics of Guam Boonies: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/37051-your-favorite-c-frutescens/?p=768351

Amazing shapes, sizes, and brillant lighter green shdes with the Naga's.
Cool photos of the Galapagoense, liking the plant shot with all the chili's..........the squished photo is pretty unique also.
Looking back a few pages at the photos has got me encouraged to go look under my plants canopies for gnarly/ spikey shaped pods....but I know I won't have what's shown here.........mine only have a few bumps in the road......

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Hey Charles lovin' all the variety in your pepper garden.  I think I sent you some Cumari do Para a few year back just wondering how that grew for you? I continue to grow it and it's my go to pepper to snack on in the garden.  You seems to like bushy type plants with small pods.

Thanks Cappy.  Ah yes, Cumari do Para is an excellent pepper.  I still have some of the original seed you sent me.  It grew great, but I'm not growing it this year...

Awesome peach pod pic. Beautiful pic of Bhut pheno 1 pod as well. That's a great picture. Can't wait to see it mature. My Chiltepin has pods forming very slowly. I can barely see them. Is that normal? Looking good Charles. Thanks for sharing.

Have a great week.

Chuck

OCD Chilehead said:
Awesome peach pod pic. Beautiful pic of Bhut pheno 1 pod as well. That's a great picture. Can't wait to see it mature. My Chiltepin has pods forming very slowly. I can barely see them. Is that normal? Looking good Charles. Thanks for sharing.

Have a great week.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck. Hard to tell about the chiltepin, there are a lot of potential factors... my overwinter is doing okay, nothing out of the ordinary.

Looking at your unripe Bhut pods, I see that all of them seem to be that same pale, almost white color. My Naga King's unripe pods seem to be following in that direction but the Guwahati Bhut seems to be a darker green... more like what I'm used to with my other Chinense varieties. Mine have a long way to go to catch up to yours though... continues success Charles!

Looking great Charles! Glad to see year of the bhut in full swing.  I regret to inform you that my pale bhut plant did not make it through the winter.  All my others have exploded into growth and are tossing out pods though.

stickman said:
Looking at your unripe Bhut pods, I see that all of them seem to be that same pale, almost white color. My Naga King's unripe pods seem to be following in that direction but the Guwahati Bhut seems to be a darker green... more like what I'm used to with my other Chinense varieties. Mine have a long way to go to catch up to yours though... continues success Charles!

That is one of the traits that fascinates me.  My Guwahati's are also a green, as are the Dorset Nagas.  My pale bhuts, Naga Kings, and one of my Red Bhuts are pale.  The choco bhtus and yellow bhuts are green...

Capsicum Select said:
Looking great Charles! Glad to see year of the bhut in full swing.  I regret to inform you that my pale bhut plant did not make it through the winter.  All my others have exploded into growth and are tossing out pods though.

Ok, thanks for letting me know.  I'll have more isolated pale bhuts after this season if you want to try them again in 2015... just let me know.

Pulled some of the runt pods off of one of my Guwahati Bhuts:
14676085861_bb21d754c6_b.jpg

Some pods maturing on the same plant:
14492647310_e447eab18b_b.jpg

Naga Suomi putting on some color:
14678930672_8397677658_b.jpg

Some Yellow Bhuts ripening.  This phenotype isn't the best I've grown, but they are still hot yellow chinenses that have a nice bhut-like flavor.  The plant has also been very productive, fast growing and pretty quick to ripen:
14492498120_f00786b3ed_b.jpg

Great GLOG here! Lots of interesting variety and great info. Pics are looking great. A few pages back you had mentioned you had a tough time with your peach varieties being finicky early on compared to the other bhuts -- same here! Set pods last out of nearly all my chinense.

That squished galap pod and the plant and pod photos has me really thinking about trying my hand at 'em.

I'll be back to have another look for sure!

annie57 said:
Hiya Charles! Big Bhut pheno 1 and that Jay's Peach have the gator-skin evil down!

Thanks Annie.  I think people like pheno 1 from the feedback... now we'll just have to see how they taste!  J's peach scorps are pretty nice to look at... they're getting big too.

AaronRiot said:
Great GLOG here! Lots of interesting variety and great info. Pics are looking great. A few pages back you had mentioned you had a tough time with your peach varieties being finicky early on compared to the other bhuts -- same here! Set pods last out of nearly all my chinense.

That squished galap pod and the plant and pod photos has me really thinking about trying my hand at 'em.

I'll be back to have another look for sure!

Thanks Aaron.  Good to know that you're also having some peach issues, must just be how they are.  I'm thinking of setting up a galapagoense grow page online, I have a lot of seed this season...

Dorset Naga turning dark orange... I'll wait until it's red to pluck it:
14676732024_bddee704ab_b.jpg

A pod on one of the plants grown from shabu bhut seed is ripening:
14492475648_8426b319f4_b.jpg

Back