• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicegeist 2014 - The Year of the Bhut

This year I'm growing primarily bhut/naga types.

Not much to look at now, but thought I'd kick things off since I'm already starting seeds:

Here's my list:
  1. Red Bhut
  2. Choco Bhut
  3. Yellow Bhut
  4. Peach Bhut
  5. Shabu Jolokia
  6. Naga King
  7. Naga Morich
  8. Naga Suomi
  9. Dorset Naga
  10. Guwahati Bhut
  11. Pale Bhut / Bih Jolokia
  12. Jay's Peach
  13. Fatalii
  14. Lota Bih
  15. C. galapagoense

Hi Charles!
     My Guwahati Bhuts have finally set pods, though the largest of them is just over an inch long. It's good to know what they're gonna look like when they finally ripen up. How many days to maturity once the pods are set? Some of the pods on the Lotah Bih plants are over an inch long too, and they definitely show the curved growing habit you mentioned. The Donne Sali is loaded with pods and flowers, but so far all the pods are less than half an inch long. The true Chintexle is loaded with small pods, and the Chintexle cross is also loaded with up to 3-inch pods and blossoms. The plant is a beast! It's already over a meter tall and a meter wide.

Cheers!

Spicegeist said:

Some Yellow Bhuts ripening.  This phenotype isn't the best I've grown, but they are still hot yellow chinenses that have a nice bhut-like flavor.  The plant has also been very productive, fast growing and pretty quick to ripen:
14492498120_f00786b3ed_b.jpg

Looks like it got more of the fatalii shape going on. I bet they taste great! The phenos on the ones you sent me are much thinner and more crooked, almost like a thai or an annuum. Taste is of course nothing like an annuum. They made a great mango sauce, and I am totally interested in helping refine this pepper if you're interested. Some of the pods on the plant I grew out are larger, and some have those nice bhut-like heat bumps. I'd like to get the shape closer to a red of carbone, or generally less hab-like and more stable. If you're interested in working on this variety let me know and I'll do what I can to help!

That chintexle I grew out from you is catching alot of eyes in the community garden plot. You got a ton of great peppers in your grow bud.

stickman said:
Hi Charles!
     My Guwahati Bhuts have finally set pods, though the largest of them is just over an inch long. It's good to know what they're gonna look like when they finally ripen up. How many days to maturity once the pods are set? Some of the pods on the Lotah Bih plants are over an inch long too, and they definitely show the curved growing habit you mentioned. The Donne Sali is loaded with pods and flowers, but so far all the pods are less than half an inch long. The true Chintexle is loaded with small pods, and the Chintexle cross is also loaded with up to 3-inch pods and blossoms. The plant is a beast! It's already over a meter tall and a meter wide.

Cheers!

Hey Rick, thanks for the update!  Nice to hear things are doing so well for you.  You know, I never keep track of how long until they ripen and all of that... maybe I should, I could get it down to a science.  Chintexles were from pepperproblem, I'm glad he was so generous...

maximumcapsicum said:

Looks like it got more of the fatalii shape going on. I bet they taste great! The phenos on the ones you sent me are much thinner and more crooked, almost like a thai or an annuum. Taste is of course nothing like an annuum. They made a great mango sauce, and I am totally interested in helping refine this pepper if you're interested. Some of the pods on the plant I grew out are larger, and some have those nice bhut-like heat bumps. I'd like to get the shape closer to a red of carbone, or generally less hab-like and more stable. If you're interested in working on this variety let me know and I'll do what I can to help!

That chintexle I grew out from you is catching alot of eyes in the community garden plot. You got a ton of great peppers in your grow bud.

Woohoo, go Chintexle!  The yellow bhuts... yes... hmm... well, let's see how this second plan I have does, the lone pod on it looks perfect, if it flowers in time and I can isolate a few, and those pods grow well, maybe that'll be the one to keep going.
So one of my favorite bhut types is this... I've been calling it Naga Morich, it looks like a cross between a nice bhut and a dorset naga, what do you guys think, is this a Naga Morich?

A bunch of pods:
14679658195_5ebb373b3a_b.jpg

Single pod, from the side and from above:
14677322524_0790696a1b_b.jpg

14684973682_9ee5bfac23_b.jpg

Another pod, from the side and from above again:
14677339914_14443558a2_b.jpg

14679389922_7ee0dbea10_b.jpg

Ripening C. chinense cross:
14492612238_3dc37b5dc1_b.jpg

C. galapagoense:
14676778224_6a25a8c9b6_b.jpg

Here's a seedling grown from seed from this plant, started it outdoors this summer, it's never been exposed to a grow light, heat mat or anything artificial (yet):
14492437220_c5eb56b763_b.jpg

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Hey Charles lovin' all the variety in your pepper garden.  I think I sent you some Cumari do Para a few year back just wondering how that grew for you? I continue to grow it and it's my go to pepper to snack on in the garden.  You seems to like bushy type plants with small pods.

Was going through some seeds tonight, here they are... plenty left:

14713320395_9b444dc4f3_o.jpg

I have to say, I think I'm going a little bonkers with my seed, not sure how to organize, pass on etc..  here's my better organized portion:
14710359701_e2b1285811_o.jpg

I need to downsize what I have, so many good varieties I'm just not going to be able to grow.  Any suggestions?

Not sure if it's worth the effort for me to categorize and list what I have for the purpose of individuals to cherry-pick.  I am drawn to the idea of doing one-time send offs like this:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/35267-still-not-done-sasbe-offer-bhut-jolokia-guhahati-india-5-winners-10-seeds-each-closed-101312/

But I've got a lot of random stuff that can't really be efficiently sent off in this way...  :confused:

Don't really know what to do with all the seed one accumulates but keep your favorites growing each year and keep those strain viable.  Especially with seed of the Cumari do Para I found the seed is very tiny and wants to be hard to germinate after a few years.  I grow it every other year and keep fresh seeds in the collection.  I also have tons of seed I'll never grow also but just keep just in case.  Hard to spring clean the seed when they really don't take up much space at all.

capsidadburn said:
Charles, I tend to cram mine in a nice cigar box. I have one for chinense, baccatuum, annuum, etc. The boxes are usually free at most any related store.

Greg, PIC1, does a really neat thing with baseball card style notebook. Been thinking abut switching to that.

Good Luck!

The real issue is that I'm just not going to grow a lot of these seeds and I don't have an efficient way to distribute them to other people...

Just got to generate more chile heads. I spent some time talking to folks at a local nursery yesterday. They're interested in surplus starts next year. Would have been a great time to pass out a couple seed packets. I got a grab bag of pods that I've been taking to the community plot with me as well. I'd distribute seed there too but I don't think most of them would be interested in the winter start.

None of this really helps. I am accumulating a giant pile of OP divided seeds too. My isolation success has been limited but I am trying. Pick your favorite strains and isolate and preserve. That'd be step one. 

Nice pics Charles!
The supposed Naga Morich can actually be. Very similar to what i've grown in the past (see my -not so good- pic).
It's shorter/fatter than standard bhut and has a thin flesh that makes it very easy to dry, the heat is very intense.
Shapes may very enough as you see, some have a pointy end.

Cya

Datil

Datil said:
Nice pics Charles!
The supposed Naga Morich can actually be. Very similar to what i've grown in the past (see my -not so good- pic).
It's shorter/fatter than standard bhut and has a thin flesh that makes it very easy to dry, the heat is very intense.
Shapes may very enough as you see, some have a pointy end.

Cya

Datil

Thanks Datil.  There's just so much diversity anymore... there are certainly many different peppers called "Naga Morich."

All looking stellar Spice!! Love the look of your secret project .. looks nasty ... but in a good way !!
In my experience my Naga morich plant producers a smaller more stubby pod with slightly smoother skin then my Bhut Jolokia "Assam". It is also twice as productive and disease tolerant . But the main difference is the ripened pods don't turn a true red like the bhuts do. They go an orangey hue of red ... great plant though!

Back