• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicegeist 2014 - The Year of the Bhut

This year I'm growing primarily bhut/naga types.

Not much to look at now, but thought I'd kick things off since I'm already starting seeds:

Here's my list:
  1. Red Bhut
  2. Choco Bhut
  3. Yellow Bhut
  4. Peach Bhut
  5. Shabu Jolokia
  6. Naga King
  7. Naga Morich
  8. Naga Suomi
  9. Dorset Naga
  10. Guwahati Bhut
  11. Pale Bhut / Bih Jolokia
  12. Jay's Peach
  13. Fatalii
  14. Lota Bih
  15. C. galapagoense

jedisushi06 said:
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
Naga Raja Morich I grew last season. Seeds were from the late chile pepper Pete

These look very similar to PeriPeri's Naga King and my Pale Bhut...

AaronRiot said:
Lota oil in that pod up there. Scary. In a good way. What is it you're tearing into there?

As for how to disperse your seeds, Karl (Hendrix1326) did a offer last season you may want to peruse: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/43072-temporarily-closed-karls-monster-seed-giveaway-2013-sasbe-offer/?hl=%2Bmonster+%2Bgiveaway

That pepper is a chinense cross I made and will stabilize.  I've done SASBE in the past, I had a lot of people sending me envelopes with not enough postage and I ended up "helping them out," i.e. paying for it myself.  There used to be a post about how to do a SASBE that was old and I think people wouldn't realize the cost for postage changed, and didn't check.  I hate to not give someone seed because of a $1 stamp...

Probably the best thing to do is have a business where people simply pay you whatever you charge and then you just mail it out in an envelope you're comfortable with.  There are a lot of vendors out there, with a lot of interesting peppers, things have changed over the years.  I don't know if there is much you can't buy these days... but I haven't looked too much lately.

I just cracked open a bunch of ripe Dorset Nagas to save some seed.  They were very :hot: !  They are definitely not as sweet as other bhut types, which might be good for some people who don't like that "floral" trait.

Also opened up a Naga King pod off a plant grown from PeriPeri's seed.  Very aromatic and pleasant.  I want to narrow down my grow list even further, but I'll probably keep this on on my 2015 list.

Spicegeist said:
Ok, thanks for letting me know.  I'll have more isolated pale bhuts after this season if you want to try them again in 2015... just let me know.

Thanks! I'll let you know. Right now I am bursting at the seems with BG7's. I need to prioritize for next year.  

Your seed catalogue would be huge!  I'm sure you have some amazing varieties in there. Currently I have mine in a binder somewhat organized by type in baseball card sleeves.
Maybe a seed train would be a good way to start distribution.

bpwilly said:
Nice and painful looking peppers, both of them.  And great close-up pictures.  Those bumps and spikes make them both that much more painful looking!

Your pictures make me want top go out and practice my close up shots.  Nice job!

Thanks Willy, it's just the camera on my prepaid phone, nothing fancy :)

Back