• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicegeist 2014 - The Year of the Bhut

This year I'm growing primarily bhut/naga types.

Not much to look at now, but thought I'd kick things off since I'm already starting seeds:

Here's my list:
  1. Red Bhut
  2. Choco Bhut
  3. Yellow Bhut
  4. Peach Bhut
  5. Shabu Jolokia
  6. Naga King
  7. Naga Morich
  8. Naga Suomi
  9. Dorset Naga
  10. Guwahati Bhut
  11. Pale Bhut / Bih Jolokia
  12. Jay's Peach
  13. Fatalii
  14. Lota Bih
  15. C. galapagoense

Back in 2011 I grew some bhuts that I really loved, but I had a problem in 2012 and they ended up falling off my radar.  Here's a pic from 2011, they're the two red pods on the bottom:
P1170506.jpg

I still have op seed from a couple of different pods on that plant, so one thing I'm considering for next years grow is to grow these out and see if I get a plant that will give me pods as nice as the original.

Back in 2011 I grew some bhuts that I really loved, but I had a problem in 2012 and they ended up falling off my radar.  Here's a pic from 2011, they're the two red pods on the bottom:
P1170506.jpg

I still have op seed from a couple of different pods on that plant, so one thing I'm considering for next years grow is to grow these out and see if I get a plant that will give me pods as nice as the original.

I love the way the orange ones om the top look, very nice uniform shape in all.

-Walt

Spicegeist said:
Back in 2011 I grew some bhuts that I really loved, but I had a problem in 2012 and they ended up falling off my radar.

Great looking bhuts Charles!
I believe every year too many space is devoted to new funky hybrids and sometimes it should be nice to put more effort in maintaining trusty varieties year after year!
Look at those bhuts in Pepper-Guru glog, that's crazy stuff!

Cya

Datil

Datil said:

Great looking bhuts Charles!
I believe every year too many space is devoted to new funky hybrids and sometimes it should be nice to put more effort in maintaining trusty varieties year after year!
Look at those bhuts in Pepper-Guru glog, that's crazy stuff!

Cya

Datil

Yeah, thanks Datil.  I think those reds were my favorite peppers I've grown, so it might be worth taking a year to see if I've still got the pheno in my seeds somewhere... I'll head over to pepperguru now...

Vegas_Chili said:
I love the way the orange ones om the top look, very nice uniform shape in all.

-Walt
maximumcapsicum said:
The orange one really does have a wonderful shape. Those red ones at the bottom look mean too. Bhuts are great... such versatile peppers, and the plants look amazing.

Those orange bhuts are the ancestors of the yellow bhuts I've tried to keep going, but alas, I just got luck with those that year...

Spicegeist said:

Those red bhuts look very similar to ones I grew last year. Man, I loved those bhuts. I am a little disappointed I only have one plant from those genetics growing. Next year there will have to be more.

I can see why you liked those reds just from the shape and texture. Part of me keeps wanting to focus on just a couple varieties and grow them out well, but then I see something new and cool looking and can't help myself.

Pulpiteer said:
I can see why you liked those reds just from the shape and texture. Part of me keeps wanting to focus on just a couple varieties and grow them out well, but then I see something new and cool looking and can't help myself.

Exactly.  I have some peach pods ripening up now that I'll probably want to grow again next year.

Jay's Peach:
14839326323_698805bf32_b.jpg

Peach Bhut:
14819141042_eea39336ec_b.jpg

Devv said:
Nice Peaches ;) Any pest problems?

So far mine have produced very few, and the bugs ate most of them.

I haven't had any unusual pest problems with these, but they did take a while to get going.  The Jay's Peach is producing many more pods than the bhut.  But the handful of peach bhut pods I do have look great!

Spicegeist said:
P1170506.jpg

those orange bhuts looks sweet.

Ok.. Im a rookie so excuse me or my ignorance. This seems like the perfect place for this question.   Are my bhuts orange, or do they need to stay on a little longer?  Ive got 2 off so far and they have both been this color.

Back