• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicegeist 2016 (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Yes, I said I was going to scale back to maybe even nothing.  But, this is just not going to happen.  I love peppers, love growing them, watching other people grow them, developing new crosses, eating them, talking about them, and yes, I even enjoy some drama from time to time ;)

Here's my tentative grow list for 2016:

C. annuum
Chiltepin x C. galapagoense
Brown Chiltepin
Yellow Chiltepin
Chiltepin Tarahumara
[[Chiltepin x Chintexle] x C. galapagoense] x Negro de Valle
[[Chiltepin x Chintexle] x C. galapagoense] x Chiltepin
Chimayo (two different seed sources)

C. frutescens
Donne Sali
CGN 17020

C. chinense
Smooth Brown Bhut
Bumpy Brown Bhut
Red Bhut
Naga Suomi
Naga Suomi x [Choco Bhut x Douglah] F2
Pink Tiger
Pimenta da Neyde
Red Bhut x Choco Bhut
Naga King
Dorset Naga
[Bhut x Seven Pod Moruga] x Guwahati Bhut F2
[[Bhut x Seven Pod Moruga] x Guwahati Bhut F1] x Choco Bhut
Assam Bhut x [[Bhut x Seven Pod Moruga] x Guwahati Bhut F1]
Impact Bhut
Naga Suomi x Pimenta da Neyde F1
Scotch Bonnet M of A

Spicegeist said:
I've been seeing color here and there.

Ripe Assam Bhuts:

CGN 17020 (C. frutescens):

Calling it My Bhut, I really like the shape of these pods:
Those Assam Bhuts - that's a really pretty picture.  The plants look so nice when they all ripen up like that.

The Frutescens - I am not the biggest fan of Frutesens pods, but the plants that I've grown have been consistently beautiful plants.  Yours looks that way too, nice, green and full.  Beautiful plant.

And the shape and bumps on the last bhuts look great.  

Fascinating to see all the varieties of bhuts you have.  Great grow!

I beg your indulgence as I include a non-pepper comment here.

A few years ago I picked a fruit from a tree while visiting California and grew out the seed, but was never sure what it was exactly.  Now that it's flowering, I'm pretty sure it's Syzygium paniculatum... at any rate a Syzgium of some sort:

Back to the peppers...

Handful of Guwahati Bhuts:

Assam Bhuts:

Datil said:
Amazing shots Charles, plants are really lush.
Impact Bhut looks a superior Bhut phenotype indeed, it's relatevely stable now?
I remember the original cross by Vladan, he does not ships to Italy sadly...

Datil

I think it's stable... I can send you seed after this season.

OCD Chilehead said:
Nice color on the Assam's. Mutant looks as if it's grown wings. Very cool.

The Assam bhuts are fun, even if they aren't the largest...

Pulpiteer said:
Those Assam Bhuts - that's a really pretty picture.  The plants look so nice when they all ripen up like that.

The Frutescens - I am not the biggest fan of Frutesens pods, but the plants that I've grown have been consistently beautiful plants.  Yours looks that way too, nice, green and full.  Beautiful plant.

And the shape and bumps on the last bhuts look great.  

Fascinating to see all the varieties of bhuts you have.  Great grow!

Thanks buddy!

OCD Chilehead said:
Nice podage, Charles. I've only grown Bhuts a couple times. Got a bunch of different variations. They all tasted good to me. I want to grow a variety of them next year. Any recommendations? Looking for heat, flavor, and prolific.

Sure.  I'll give you a few to try in 2017.

I haven't seen my mantises around in a while, thought maybe they'd all dispersed... and then all of a sudden today:

They're getting big!

Spicegeist said:

They still might be interesting even though they crossed.  I have Naga King seed I know is pure... I can send you some for next year's grow.

Thanks for the offer Charles! I'll definitely take you up on it. Let me know if I have anything that interests you too, OK?

Spicegeist said:

Sure, let's see how many seeds it give me when the time comes.  The CGN and the Donne Sali tend to put out pods like that.

True that... The Donne Sali plants I started from your seeds had a lot of conjoined pods. Nice flavor though, and very hot for all that the pods were only about the size of a grain of rice!
Spicegeist said:
Good morning Mantis:

Nice to see your inner perimeter security on the job. :party:

Looking good, Charles.

Bhuts look perfect. How do the Tigers taste. I see Enrico has a bunch of crazy crosses. I may pick some seeds up from him and try them next year. Some beautiful looking peppers.

Great Mantis pics.

Your bhuts look perfect Charles! Can you take a pic of a split pod?
A remember a paper thin skinned bhut from the past (maybe it was the original CPI Bhut release around 2006 or so) but never found another bhut/naga alike.
The Suomi x Neyde selection looks appropriate in numbers :) are you going to grow them indoors this winter?

Good luck

Datil

Back