• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicegeist 2016 (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Yes, I said I was going to scale back to maybe even nothing.  But, this is just not going to happen.  I love peppers, love growing them, watching other people grow them, developing new crosses, eating them, talking about them, and yes, I even enjoy some drama from time to time ;)

Here's my tentative grow list for 2016:

C. annuum
Chiltepin x C. galapagoense
Brown Chiltepin
Yellow Chiltepin
Chiltepin Tarahumara
[[Chiltepin x Chintexle] x C. galapagoense] x Negro de Valle
[[Chiltepin x Chintexle] x C. galapagoense] x Chiltepin
Chimayo (two different seed sources)

C. frutescens
Donne Sali
CGN 17020

C. chinense
Smooth Brown Bhut
Bumpy Brown Bhut
Red Bhut
Naga Suomi
Naga Suomi x [Choco Bhut x Douglah] F2
Pink Tiger
Pimenta da Neyde
Red Bhut x Choco Bhut
Naga King
Dorset Naga
[Bhut x Seven Pod Moruga] x Guwahati Bhut F2
[[Bhut x Seven Pod Moruga] x Guwahati Bhut F1] x Choco Bhut
Assam Bhut x [[Bhut x Seven Pod Moruga] x Guwahati Bhut F1]
Impact Bhut
Naga Suomi x Pimenta da Neyde F1
Scotch Bonnet M of A

Spicegeist said:

The genes in this are all over the place, I hesitate to grow the next generation out.  They could range from tiny chiltepin sized pods to larger Negro de Valle sized pods... I'd have to have a lot of plants, and I really don't have the space.

Red Bhuts:

Special Assam Bhut pod:

Dorset Naga:

That signature pale Naga King pre-ripe color:

Getting those C. galapagoense genes out there with my [[Chiltepin x Chintexle] x C. galapagoense] x Negro de Valle:

Impact Bhut:

You got da bump brother!
Yoda_bump.thumb.jpg.ce600f8e48f73b85c003e3ab41c8fbc8.jpg

Spicegeist said:

Took all the seeds out.  These were very juicy.

They are now in the dehydrator, I normally wouldn’t bother with so few, but this is just so unique, I really want to taste these flakes.

well...  how do they taste.!?

:)

Great looking pods and flakes Charles!
There is a favourite bhut for you? I always plan to drastically reduce the number of varieties one season or another :)
Lately i'm really enjoying a 'vintage'  Bih Jolokia powder from PL. Gotta devote next year to Bih maybe...

Datil

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
well...  how do they taste.!?

:)

They were ok... doesn't compare to bhut flakes.

Datil said:
Great looking pods and flakes Charles!
There is a favourite bhut for you? I always plan to drastically reduce the number of varieties one season or another :)
Lately i'm really enjoying a 'vintage'  Bih Jolokia powder from PL. Gotta devote next year to Bih maybe...

Datil

This year, probably my regular Red Bhuts or the Impact Bhuts... "My Bhuts" are nice too... I mean they're all fun :)

Mutant Bhut

Handful of Bhuts:

Bhut Jolokias, drawing from 1838:

Spicegeist said:

They were ok... doesn't compare to bhut flakes.

This year, probably my regular Red Bhuts or the Impact Bhuts... "My Bhuts" are nice too... I mean they're all fun :)

Mutant Bhut

Handful of Bhuts:

Bhut Jolokias, drawing from 1838:

Good looking Red Bhut pods.

I find my Red Bhut Jolokia are usually skinnier than those, more like the second pic in post #201, but my Chocolate Bhut Jolokia are plump as are those reds.

I know there is research suggesting that bhuts are a kind of chinense/frutescens hybrid, but I think they are distinct enough to be a different species, at least a subspecies.

I bought a few Thai peppers from a local supermarket and grew out two plants, each grown with seed from a different pepper.

One seems to have grown true:

And the other is a cross, but I’m liking the way it’s looking.  Will probably be good for making hot flakes:

And this little critter got stuck under my clothing, stung me, and is now dying:

As always Charles your photographs are "picture perfect" ... great varieties and a nice little coffee plant .. unsure what temperatures Virginia drop too so I expect you will bring the plant in and over winter

Devv said:
Nothing but good stuff going on here Charles!

Coffee plant grown from what kind of seed?

Thanks Devv.  A plant I've been growing as a houseplant actually set fruit:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/58077-spicegeist-2016-ia-ioee-ia/?p=1311391

I grew this out.

Trident chilli said:
As always Charles your photographs are "picture perfect" ... great varieties and a nice little coffee plant .. unsure what temperatures Virginia drop too so I expect you will bring the plant in and over winter

Thanks!  Not quite the tops, as my phone is a good few years old now, but it still gets the job done.  The weather here varies depending on where you are.  It's a bit warmer on the coast, but even there not warm enough for a coffee plant.  Where I live, in the mountains, it gets pretty cool and pretty well below freezing in the winter.  Definitely coming inside.

Datil said:
Great shots ad always!
What's the variety of that c.frutescens?

Datil

That is the CGN 17020.  I've got to come up with a catchier name for it though :think:

Back