• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Sriracha

I am trying to make some and I was wondering if it should be cooked or just blend the raw peppers with the other ingredients and call it good?

UnNatural said:
Traditionally its made with Thai peppers but if you're trying to emulate Huy Fong's Tuong Ot Sriracha it is actually made from Red jalapenos.

I was going to add that just now.

It's ripe Jalapenos, and he ferments them in large plastic barrels for some period of time.

Sriracha isn't a brand name it's a table sauce in Thailand, the one you are talking about is made in CA. I was talking about the traditional table sauce.

I guess he could be talking about either, but go for the traditional.

thehotpepper.com said:
Sriracha isn't a brand name it's a table sauce in Thailand, the one you are talking about is made in CA. I was talking about the traditional table sauce.

I guess he could be talking about either, but go for the traditional.

im gessing your on about the red rooster lable stuff correct?

N_FF said:
im gessing your on about the red rooster lable stuff correct?
No, they are talking about that, not me. http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/contact.htm

But yeah, it's supposed to be a sriracha, but they use local peppers (red jalapenos) to California. I believe it's also got preservatives like sodium benzoate. I've had the traditional table sauce in Thailand and it's much better!

If you can find the right measurements for that you should do it. Know anyone from Thailand?

My only exposure is the rooster sauce but I would like to make my own version. I just wasn't sure if it needed cooked or not. A couple internet recipes that I was using as a guide said nothing about cooking. Thanks for the input though. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Okay then probably go with red jalapenos if you like them. Yes, it would be cooked down and blended. For your first sauce make sure you refrigerate it since you may not have the pH right. Post your results.

UnNatural said:
Do you know if they have those available in Chinatown? Or do you always order it?
In Chinatown, there's a Thai grocer on Mosco street, Bangkok Center Grocery: www.thai-grocery.com.
I haven't been in a few years, but they should have it. Call them up first. Their online store (or partner) is actually the other link I posted above (Temple of Thai).

this past weekend i had some mixed into a wing sauce by my uncle at his annual "friday fry night". It added some good character to the sauce. I dunno where he got it from though, I shall inquire!

Captain Murphy said:
Welcome aboard, Nubster!

Thanks. I've been a long time fan of all things hot but it seems that after not having hot stuff for some time my threshold has really lowered. Hoping to fix that.

Also, thanks for all the suggestions. I will keep them all in mind.

Decided to give it a quick whirl using what I have on hand which was a bunch of sun ripened serrano peppers with some orange habanero thrown in for good measure. Maybe not the best mix of peppers but it is what I had and I figured cooking and sauce making is all about experimenting so what the heck.

IMG_2987.jpg

The result...well...it has an immediate tang followed by some sweetness. Heat is instant but there is not much there. Very mild. Lots of garlic flavor and a kinda weird aftertaste. Not sure where that is coming from. Looks not overly appetizing as it looks like carrot baby food with the consistency to match. I guess all in all not a failed attempt but there is definitely more to come. Maybe a few days in the fridge to mellow out will help. I just wish I had found this site earlier and also planted more pepper plants as I only have a few and they are limited in variety and nothing really special at that. I guess I could always grow something indoors.

Sauce.jpg

Back