• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Starting seeds

Yo I'm starting Hungarian hot wax, jalapeño, and sweet banana seeds. I have them in big sixpacks in a greenhouse and on a heat mat to speed germination. Does anyone have Ant advice on how to treat the seedlings for the first few months before transplant? I usually start from establihed plants from the local greenhouse, but ive decided to start my own. Any advice would be appreciated, thx.

Are they on the ground outside? Try getting some ant powder like muskymojo said and just put it around the plants.

Go to the feed store and get some granulated molasses. Spread it in the pots and all around on the ground both in and outside your greenhouse. Ants don't like it and it turns to I believe Nitrogen when it breaks down.

I would try using a 50/50 mixture of baking soda and unobtainium. Create a paste using luke warm water and spread it around the perimiter of your seedlings. The ants will lose their pheremone trail and follow each other in a circle until they die.

@ Thatguy and BigPhilMD - - - Great way to treat a new grower guys. It really makes me feel great being a part of this forum. :clap:

@ OrganicChile - Believe it or not, there are quite a few people on THP that are willing to help you with sound advice. Unfortunately, I don't have any answers for your ant issues (not a common problem here). The most I've ever done is just get some good ol' store-bought ant traps for the little boogers. That being said, good luck and happy growing.

DAN

C'mon, RedtailForester, it was funny. He didn't want ant help.

OrganicChiles - sorry to break your balls. I was checking out the link so I could learn too. I don't have any more information than you, I was looking for answers too.

Better? Everyone feeling better now?

First thing I suggest doing a forum search on "germination", "germinate", and "seedling" - there are several excellent posts on this site about the topic already.

Question for you - have your seeds already sprouted, or have you just started them? Also, I'm not sure I get what you mean by "big sixpack" - something like Jiffy pellets? If they haven't sprouted yet, what method of germination are you using?

See there WOULD be a great use for an "any" key on a keyboard. Its amazing how some words can be miss typed and still make some kind of sense...lol Welcome to the forum. It really is a great place. Don't let all of this scare you off. :D

Man, you guys are cruel!

Are ants really bad for pepper plants? Are we talking about the red nasty ones that bite ya or the black ants? The carpenter ants may be beneficial as they break down rotted wood into good growing material i bet, but you might want to use some of those chemicals that the other guys suggested around the perimeter foundation of your house to protect your home as well.

Back