• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]"Thanks Rick...Sorry your gochu's aren't on the list (yet [/background] :whistle:[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] ) I may start some late once momma has lost all hope of controlling me!"[/background]

Not to worry brother... When you want to, you'll get around to it, or you can hit me up for seed any time. Cheers!

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]"Thanks Rick...Sorry your gochu's aren't on the list (yet [/background] :whistle:[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] ) I may start some late once momma has lost all hope of controlling me!"[/background]

Not to worry brother... When you want to, you'll get around to it, or you can hit me up for seed any time. Cheers!

I'll get around to it...but may be a year or two if I move to a spot with more space.

Where did you get your splitters?
Splitters and socket adapters at HD for maybe $1.50 each??? Maybe less...don't remember exact price. The four foot power strips are pricey, but I already had that one, and the rest cost maybe $35 total???

Very neat design and nice list!

Good luck

Datil
Thanks! We shall see how it works???

Well...It has begun!
IMG_0662.jpg

Purchased a second heat mat yesterday, using one last year was ok, but started to get confusing toward the end rotating starts. So I figure I can get the all going at once now...

IMG_0661.jpg

Seeds soaked overnight...

IMG_0663.jpg

Jiffy pellets, just add water...

IMG_0672.jpg

Lower left is still open...hmmmmm.

IMG_0671.jpg

This one is full...

IMG_0670.jpg

I don't have a thermostat hooked up, so for the first few days I will be checking in on these guys with a meat thermometer until I get the temps right. Last year it required a towel draped over them to get them up into the low 90's.

Had these guys at HD...they're in quarantine for now. I plan to strip their leaves, sanitize them and then bonchi them at some point...if they come back.
IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

Already made the first cut in the lineup...I decided not to plant the Jamaican Hot yellow. I couldn't remember if I had the seed, or if it was from one of my pods. I didn't wanna chance it having the Virus so I tossed it.

125ish seeds started, and a few more inbound...I plant to keep 2 of a couple species, but the rest only one, so I will have 90 plus plants to get rid of if all goes well. I am already overwhelmed by the amount of support showing up on my glog! :party: THP is such a great place to spend your mornings!!!

Happy New Year! See you guys in 2013!
Shane

Lemme see one....two....three......20. Right where you wanted to be.
Huh, I count 24. Got your eyes checked lately?
Anything for a friend. :)
You two are funny...I only count 18...ish!

Nice list and good luck. Damn wives always holding a man down , eh!
Thanks..."25-26 top momma, I swear!" :liar:

when do you plan to plant outside?
Last year I think I started some in February, but I had to fights some frost. This year I am aiming for end of March or beginning of April.

He's back in the saddle again. :fireball:

Happy New Year!
Jamie's here!!! Now the party can start!!! Time for a pants-off dance-off! :dance: Happy new year buddy. I won't be around as much as before, but I promise to update when I can. Finally got some leave, and some time to relax and try to get this all planned out. Wife's been cracking the whip the last couple days on the honey-do's so I am on early...

Looks like its time to take my family for a trip to Sd again. Hahahahha. Great line up Shane. Can't wait to see which makes The cut which doesn't. This time around I will come baring gifts of seedlings. So your wife can't say much. The strip looks nice. How much electricity will that consume per day?? I will follow youuuuuuu

I'll get around to it...but may be a year or two if I move to a spot with more space.

Splitters and socket adapters at HD for maybe $1.50 each??? Maybe less...don't remember exact price. The four foot power strips are pricey, but I already had that one, and the rest cost maybe $35 total???

Thanks! We shall see how it works???

Well...It has begun!
IMG_0662.jpg

Purchased a second heat mat yesterday, using one last year was ok, but started to get confusing toward the end rotating starts. So I figure I can get the all going at once now...

IMG_0661.jpg

Seeds soaked overnight...

IMG_0663.jpg

Jiffy pellets, just add water...

IMG_0672.jpg

Lower left is still open...hmmmmm.

IMG_0671.jpg

This one is full...

IMG_0670.jpg

I don't have a thermostat hooked up, so for the first few days I will be checking in on these guys with a meat thermometer until I get the temps right. Last year it required a towel draped over them to get them up into the low 90's.

Had these guys at HD...they're in quarantine for now. I plan to strip their leaves, sanitize them and then bonchi them at some point...if they come back.
IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

Already made the first cut in the lineup...I decided not to plant the Jamaican Hot yellow. I couldn't remember if I had the seed, or if it was from one of my pods. I didn't wanna chance it having the Virus so I tossed it.

125ish seeds started, and a few more inbound...I plant to keep 2 of a couple species, but the rest only one, so I will have 90 plus plants to get rid of if all goes well. I am already overwhelmed by the amount of support showing up on my glog! :party: THP is such a great place to spend your mornings!!!

Happy New Year! See you guys in 2013!
Shane

Sorry Shane I must have missed it among your 80 pages of your last glog ;) but what were the virus/disease issues you had last season??

Happy New Year Shane !!! Looks like you're off to a good start.

If you have problems with the light sockets coming loose from the power strip you could try getting a long zip tie and wrapping it around the power strip through the y of the socket assy to hold it in place.

Good luck with your grow, will be following this for sure.

Robert

Sorry Shane I must have missed it among your 80 pages of your last glog ;) but what were the virus/disease issues you had last season??
I know I got a little carried away last year, but this year's GLOG promises to be MUCH shorter. My plants were infected by Pepper Mild Mottle VIrus (PMMoV) I was too slow in IDing/pulling the sick ones. I tried to save the plants early on, and along with the aphids I helped spread the virus. I prevented it from my container area for a while, but eventually it hit them all. The real unfortunate thing was the virus is seed borne as well, so I couldn't save or share any seeds, and I had some awesome crosses that I really would have liked to have grown out a few more seasons. I did save a couple of seeds from those and MAY try sanitizing them in the TSP solution late in the season, but that method is not 100% so I don't dare risk it early in the season.

Looks like its time to take my family for a trip to Sd again. Hahahahha. Great line up Shane. Can't wait to see which makes The cut which doesn't. This time around I will come baring gifts of seedlings. So your wife can't say much. The strip looks nice. How much electricity will that consume per day?? I will follow youuuuuuu
You are welcome to my extras again Denniz! I will let you know when to come and get them!!! It was around $15per month or less last year. This year will be more like $25-30 if I run it for 12hrs a day. The 75w eqs only draw 18w actual and the 100w only 23, so the total wattage is 492w,

Great looking setup, good luck in 2013 and Happy New Year!
Thanks brother!!! Happy New Year to you as well!

Good luck on your grow. Hope to be able to keep up with all the glogs this year.

Thanks! Was tough for me last year trying to keep up with my own! :rofl:

Happy New Year Shane !!! Looks like you're off to a good start.

If you have problems with the light sockets coming loose from the power strip you could try getting a long zip tie and wrapping it around the power strip through the y of the socket assy to hold it in place.

Good luck with your grow, will be following this for sure.

Robert
Thanks Robert...I was thinking that, Duct Tape, or Paracord, I'll get it figured out :drunk: Will be looking out for your stuff as well.

Small update, not much happening...The changed my photobucket back to the new stuff again, with more "improvements" so I don't know if this will work but...
P1020736_zps674c82d6.jpg

Received a nice care package from Charles (Spicegeist) Tempting to put a coulple in a pellet and see what happens... :shh: not yet though.

P1020730_zpsa9c68463.jpg

Got this Bonsai for Xmas from the future brother in law. Kinda cool, he's given me several.

P1020733_zps9ce4183e.jpg

Finally got the temps dialed in! :dance:

P1020735_zps0503affd.jpg

Here's how they look all tucked in...

P1020737_zps7c7e73ae.jpg

Finally...here is my future grow-room. Still a ton to be done, but I better hurry! I think I spotted three hooks already! The PI 438638 has two showing, and I think I may already have my first Chinense to sprout! Could just be a paint chip or something. Will post a pic once they raise up a bit more...

That's if for now folks, Happy New Year and great growing to you all!
Shane

By the way...here is an easy way to figure out how much it costs to run a setup...there are other (better) calculators out there, but this one works pretty good for me.
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/cost.html
Only need to know your rate. Ours is 15 cents during low usage months...luckily winter months are low use.

Hey man. Glad to see your back at it! Love the early start your getting. Looking over your set up is getting me motivated to get things cranking around here. Happy new year and Cheers to the start of a long season :)

Britton

Back