• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

You know Shane, towards the end of last year's grow, when you were busy training for the big run, working crazy hours, and overwhelmed with all of your incredible harvests, you almost had me convinced you were going to scale things back a bit this season, but I can see now that you've got the bug as bad as ever. :rofl:

Hey man. Glad to see your back at it! Love the early start your getting. Looking over your set up is getting me motivated to get things cranking around here. Happy new year and Cheers to the start of a long season :)

Britton
Get it crankin my man! Cheers back at ya!

Geez, Shane, three pages already? I'm throwing in the towel.
Hope you have a banner season, my friend.

You know Shane, towards the end of last year's grow, when you were busy training for the big run, working crazy hours, and overwhelmed with all of your incredible harvests, you almost had me convinced you were going to scale things back a bit this season, but I can see now that you've got the bug as bad as ever. :rofl:

I won't have as many...trust me! :liar: I really do love the start of a new season. I will probably keep close to 40ish plants...

Well I've been sick for the past couple days, but I managed to get out in the garage and start assembling the grow room...
P1020738.jpg

Cleared a spot in my overrun with yardsale crap garage...

P1020739.jpg

Then I broke out some grown up Lincoln Logs...

P1020740.jpg

The sides are held together with C-clamps so I can disassemble it once the starts go outside...

P1020741.jpg

Added some some insulated reflective sheathing...and some duct tape.

P1020742.jpg

Then some more sheathing and duct tape...

P1020743.jpg

Ran out of Lincoln Logs, so I had to make shift a door for now...

P1020745.jpg

All I need now is some plants to put in there!!!

P1020744.jpg

Here is my top shelf...I bought 4 small power strips so I can rig up the bottom shelf once they outgrow this one...

Size is 5'x6'. Sheathing was $6 per sheet 7 sheets total. Lumber was $30, duct tape was $3...so I spent about $75 on the structure. I need a couple more sticks to complete it, but that's only a few more $$$...so not too bad considering a grow tent this size would be twice that! I need to work on a vent system to keep the temp down in there. The lights alone got it hot in a hurry...The size is such that I could fit two sets of these shelves in there if I relocate the door to the center of the long side and still have a couple feet to move around in between...but one shelf is enough for now.

Thanks for stopping by, hope everyone's new year is shaping up!!!
Shane

Geez, Shane, three pages already? I'm throwing in the towel.
Hope you have a banner season, my friend.

I know right!!! You'll catch me...and pass me up, I won't be able to update too often once I am off leave and back to work. I'll be looking for your start Paul!

Nice. Thanks for the inspiration. I shall try to replicate. Now. Only problem is finding space in the garage as there's 3 families living in the house. If u don't mind PM me your HD receipt so I can replicate it as close as possible. ;). Happy new year

Nice looking grow tent setup Shane. That looks like it should do you well! I'm at G-day minus 2, so I'll be getting mine started this weekend too. Cheers!

Great start so far! Did not see last year’s Glog but the power strips with the lights is GENIUS, great inspiration for 2013... Very excited to follow the progress.

Aww man thats a good idea with the blanket for the seed flats. Gonna go do that. THat grow room looks perfecto brotha. Be a lot of light bouncing around.

Hey, Shane! Your grow closet is primo, man. That reflective
foam insulation is the cat's behind, all right. Great material. I
think you could build a box out of the 2 inch thick stuff and
wouldn't even need a frame! the half inch stuff worked perfect
for my grow shelf.

Nice. Thanks for the inspiration. I shall try to replicate. Now. Only problem is finding space in the garage as there's 3 families living in the house. If u don't mind PM me your HD receipt so I can replicate it as close as possible. ;). Happy new year
Good luck on your room...let me know if you need any more info.

Awesome idea C-clamping it for reversible assembly! That's genius! So far, looking ready to get some starts going!
Thanks! I hope so...I did have to screw one corner together on the door side because the clamps would interfere with the hinges, but should be quick and easy to disassemble.

Nice looking grow tent setup Shane. That looks like it should do you well! I'm at G-day minus 2, so I'll be getting mine started this weekend too. Cheers!
Good luck on your starts! Looking like you are prepped and ready on your glog! I'll be watching!

Great start so far! Did not see last year’s Glog but the power strips with the lights is GENIUS, great inspiration for 2013... Very excited to follow the progress.
Thanks for the visit Mrjohnston! You could spend a week and not get through my last glog...kinda overdid it on the posts. Welcome to THP brotha! The power strips work great...I got some standard sized ones to hook up on the bottom shelf, will post pics once I get them in.

Aww man thats a good idea with the blanket for the seed flats. Gonna go do that. THat grow room looks perfecto brotha. Be a lot of light bouncing around.
My heat mats only get the flats about 10-15 degrees above room temp, but with the blankets I get 20+ really does help. I hope to be able to keep all my starts in there until plant out.

Hey, Shane! Your grow closet is primo, man. That reflective
foam insulation is the cat's behind, all right. Great material. I
think you could build a box out of the 2 inch thick stuff and
wouldn't even need a frame! the half inch stuff worked perfect
for my grow shelf.
Hopefully my primo-closet grows primo-primos! :rofl: Will have to watch temps in there. Going to put the small space heater I used in my GH last year in there and run the top and bottom shelf on opposite 12hr light cycles. Should stay toasty warm in there! I think even the 1.5" would work with some adhesive caulk and duct tape in the corners without any additional structure. Almost went that route...maybe next year.

What do you soak your seeds in?
Thanks for stopping in Dragon! Usually just a weak hydrogen peroxide solution, 1oz per pint...I also use Trisodium Phosphate on any that I am not certain of the seed source to make sure they are virus free.

Well I sanitized all my small containers this morning...whew, what a freakin' job! Hopefully I start to see some more action in my germ tray soon. Going to Vegas with momma this weekend. Hopefully, I don't come back to a flat full of leggy seedlings...

Looking good! It's always rewarding to build something yourself and that way you can make it the way you want to (and keep the costs low). If I may comment you on the reflective sheeting, using white foil is even more reflecting then aluminum. Last season I used what we call here, black/white foil. It doesn't let any light through, has the best reflection properties and it's really cheap.

zwart-wit-folie-2x-25m-rol.jpg

Inspiration, Inspiration, Inspiration. You have me dying to get my starts going.
Get 'em started Pia!!!

Now there's a man who takes this pepper growing thing seriously, builds 'em their own room! Looking great Shane.
Yeah...more because momma did't want a lighthouse beacon in her living room again than for the peppers though! Spiceychicken built his a whole house...and a basement!Thanks man!

Love it. I am disassembling mine from last year and building up something similar.
I wasn't even done building it before I started redesigning it...it'll be a work in progress. Good luck with yours brother!
Looking good! It's always rewarding to build something yourself and that way you can make it the way you want to (and keep the costs low). If I may comment you on the reflective sheeting, using white foil is even more reflecting then aluminum. Last season I used what we call here, black/white foil. It doesn't let any light through, has the best reflection properties and it's really cheap.

zwart-wit-folie-2x-25m-rol.jpg
Thanks for the heads up! I'll look into it for future projects. This stuff was available, cheap and somewhat structural...it'll do just fine.

Great growing everyone. Got hooks showing...but I am off to Vegas for a couple days. So they'll have to wait for me to get back.
Shane

And Shane is offfff! 3 pages already and you have just begun! :rofl:

Looking good, love that grow room you built! Wishing you a very successful virus free season friend!! :dance:

I wasn't even done building it before I started redesigning it...it'll be a work in progress. Isn't that the way it goes :rolleyes: :think: :D

Great growing everyone. Got hooks showing...but I am off to Vegas for a couple days. So they'll have to wait for me to get back.
Shane
Hooks already! You go, boy!
Have fun in LV...

Back