• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

Aight so...I thought maybe moving outside with the cool nights would slow down my plants a bit, but NOPE!!! At least not so far. I will probably get more blossom drop, but I really don't mind that. Would be cool if I get a couple to set early, but would rather they concentrate on growing anyway. I was running out of light but managed to snap a few pics. They are blurry because I had to slow the shutter down to get enough light, but you'll get the picture! :rofl:

First of all...I mentioned earlier that I was testing a new germ technique...and it is kicking a$$!!! :dance: Came home to...
gallery_5729_82_3674887.jpg

Three new Birgits Locotos, three Primos (one not pictured), another Poblano, two Brain Strains, two Red Robin Tomatoes, Two Market Sweet peppers (will have to show a pic of these they come in a zip bag and are red, yellow and orange. Wayright showed some in a vid on here) and one more Red Currant Tomato (also not pictured) You can see my germ tray next door. Basically just soil in a flat with the pellets tucked down in...heat mat underneath set to 80ish and the lights above. The soil helps hold the moisture so I don't have to keep them covered.

gallery_5729_82_1001075.jpg

Here are the new residents of the top shelf...they are growing like weeds now that the lights are lowered back down. The Manzano in the back may have to graduate to the floor or outside soon.

gallery_5729_82_3155404.jpg

Here are a few of the Growdown Birgits Locotos mixed in with some of its evil neighbors...HP22b from DocNrock and a Bubble Gum 7 from Denniz...

Now for what's going on outside first up is the test plant that's been out there for a couple weeks now...
gallery_5729_82_3378740.jpg

Yellow Aji from Peru from PaulG...

gallery_5729_82_2112069.jpg

Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (Silver Surfer via Romy6)

gallery_5729_82_3793604.jpg

PI438638 (Romy6) is podding up like crazy. Most still have the fading blooms attached, but I pulled one off for the pic. Maybe 20 little pods on her already!

gallery_5729_82_506773.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)

gallery_5729_82_17154.jpg

Closer look underneath...sorry about the blurry...

gallery_5729_82_107051.jpg

Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)

gallery_5729_82_530750.jpg

Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1) 5 bloom this node. I know they're not going to set...but this looks like a promise of great things to come!

That's all I got time or room for now. I also mailed my first plant, looks like a success. Happy hump day errybody!
Shane

Look at those leaves on the Yellow Billy Boy............like elephant ears !
Flowers all over the place, thanks for showing the Belize plant. Mine are still dwarfs...

Wait a second.........or a 1/15 or 1/8 or whatever shutter speed you're shooting at. Slowing it down ?
How bout all the lumens or did you cut back on the amount of lights.......
I like the 12oz....the measuring tool in the background............large plant like that shades the bottle, keeping it cool, nice idea...
Thanks for the photos, always enjoyable to check out one of the core glogs here.

Flowers all over the place, thanks for showing the Belize plant. Mine are still dwarfs...

Wait a second.........or a 1/15 or 1/8 or whatever shutter speed you're shooting at. Slowing it down ?
I like the 12oz....the measuring tool in the background............large plant like that shades the bottle, keeping it cool, nice idea...
Thanks for the photos, always enjoyable to check out one of the core glogs here.

Fat Tire Ale.....Mmm Mmmmm Good :)

Yep, I also love this glog. His plants make me soooo jealous! Mine do not even look close!

Looking great! Glad you potted up to the larger pot size, because I was just thinking that you needed larger plants and probably more peppers than you got last year ;) It won't be long and we'll be watching videos of you trying some of these peppers and in some pain. Those leaves are like the size of your hand already!
Thanks Andy! Lol...I know, makes perfect sense to me though in my warped sense of pepper reality! Ummm...seems to me someone else has been a little extreme with their grows, even digging up their lawn, raising not only plants but the neighbor's eyebrows! Yeah, I'm planning a review or two this season. I've been trying to expand my tolerance a bit with the powders I've made, but you can only do so much!

I wish you luck with your outdoor plants Shane, and hope they make it unfrosted. Good input on pot size too. Cheers!
Thanks Rick! Solid temps through "Last Frost Date" but then again, there are record lows below freezing on the books for another 3 weeks. Think I timed it right, time will tell.

Speaking my peace with the “Sun King” to make sure the frost pass you by ;) Everything looks great, plants, pictures and I love the different color pots! I understand and do the same, lately been finding a lot of 10gal nursery pots at landscaping jobs being thrown out so I have a lot of black ones, but hey who cares. Keep dat great grow going mon and loads of luck with the weather ^_^

[06:48] * @WalkGood »» Foobar2ooo ::: Beatles, The - Abbey Road (1969) - 10 - Sun King ::: 0:07/2:26 (••••••••••) ::: 381 kbps ««

♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

Blurry pics ... I say pffff! Dem pics are great mon, all of dem! Especially love dat look on your Belize City Scotch Bonnet, save me a seed from your biggest pod for next year if you remember ^_^
The multi color pots was mama's idea...She hated the look of the nursery containers on the pool deck last year, but thought the plants were "Pretty!" The more beauty I can bring to the grow...the more I can GROW! Worried about drainage, but I can rip off the built in drip pans and take a drill to them if need be. The pics were a bit blurry, but they served the purpose...I still have a few of those seeds Greg sent, or I can hold out for ones off this plant. I will probably ship them in their original spicy yellow packaging when they come...

Shane I like all the green in the 1st photo. Especially the plants but the background looks cool also. We still have snow on the ground yet !

The Carbon looks perfect......a carbon copy of P-Sons from last year !

The larger containers will do you good. I can see huge harvests coming off those plants.

Bamboo will serve the purpose. I use stakes for 2 reasons. It can get fairly windy here even in mid summer.........and for those larger plants that produce "Willowing Branches of Pods". I've actually tied branches from one plant to a stake from another....same with the tomatoes...

Another great update with variety !
Enjoy your week.

The background stays green here. A few light freezes, but I have a 30 ft ficus tree in the back yard and at work we have hibiscus plants that have trunks the size of my leg...wild flowers are in full swing here, (Not quite as great as fields of Bluebonnets in TX but nice to see some color around in the desert. I do the same with my stakes, and even use several to make a cage tying cross members under the heaviest branches,,,tying them to my fence...one of the nearby bushes...and if things go well with the contest plants hopefully the roof! The Yellow Billy Boys are monster growers...some of the most consistent growing supers so far. Only ones outperforming them are the Morugas. Yeah...I haven't quite figured out how to adjust the sun's timer...but if I did I am certain I would really P-off all the global warming folks!!! For you to call me a "core glog" is an honor my friend! Your grow has inspired much of what is going on here. I found it so odd when I first happened on this site that the "premier" grower actually took the time to hit me up and help me out. Most forums the "experts" act annoyed by the P-ons. There is a little of that on here from time to time, but I just ignore those bubble heads...aside from a few Beavis' buddies everyone else is freaking amazing.

Wow, really great root growth Shane, they're lovin what your doing. Something tell's me that your new chest freezer isn't going to be that empty for long though and as for mama's freezers... Better ask first :)
Thanks RM...think the great root growth was due to several things, but the ones that rocked it the most were the plants on the top shelf. I am thinking its because their root zone had been heated by the lights from the lower shelf...testing that theory with some heat mats under a few flats on the bottom shelf to see if they go super turbo like the top ones do...

One word..... AWESOME!!

Fat Tire Ale.....Mmm Mmmmm Good :)

Yep, I also love this glog. His plants make me soooo jealous! Mine do not even look close!
Thanks Chris, I do like a Fat Tire, or Sam Adams...or Stone IPA, but nothing as much as a Shiner Bock! No need to be jealous of my plants when your grow is going to be about an acre...great stuff going on over on your grow as well brother!

A 5 blossom node?!!

Whisky for my men, beer or my peppers!!!
You said it Steve!!! Weekend is almost here...but why wait!?!?!?!

Gotta hit the road for work everyone...Will be doing the hardening shuffle with the plants this weekend so I should be able to get some better close ups...thanks again for all the kind words.
Take care,
Shane

… … The multi color pots was mama's idea...She hated the look of the nursery containers on the pool deck last year, but thought the plants were "Pretty!" The more beauty I can bring to the grow...the more I can GROW! Worried about drainage, but I can rip off the built in drip pans and take a drill to them if need be. … … …

I’ve been thinking the same with the drill, making lots of small holes all the way up the sides around the entire pot. I have a lot of inherited, funky gifted pots … heck even the nursery pots could use extra holes. Only things that has held me back is damaging the structural integrity, adding to the fugly factor and shorting their life span. Many holes should give them more ventilation like air pots except the bottom. IMO the bottom of some could become too weak ...

No rush on seeds, wait till you get a killer pod or late season … thanks! BTW congrats on being named "core glog" by da master ... you deserve it mon \o_

The more I stumble about this site the more great things I see!

I'm impressed with your grow!..

Thanks Chris, I do like a Fat Tire, or Sam Adams...or Stone IPA, but nothing as much as a Shiner Bock! No need to be jealous of my plants when your grow is going to be about an acre...great stuff going on over on your grow as well brother!

Funny I have a cold Shiner 12"s from me, didn't know they sold them there..

Scott

Thanks guys...I am humbled! Denniz...the new process is basically stated up there. I have a pic I will upload later...

The more I stumble about this site the more great things I see!

I'm impressed with your grow!..

Funny I have a cold Shiner 12"s from me, didn't know they sold them there..

Scott
Scott...I told you this on another thread, but my very first garden back in the early 80's was about 80 miles southwest of you in Carrizo Springs. I started it on my own...and later I used it as an FFA project. They sell shiner out here...and my Great Aunt lived in Shiner, only thing better than their beer is their sausage! I know all too well the challenge of gardening in the scorching heat of that area. Carrizo is the hottest place I've ever lived...one small step up from hell on earth. (Persian Gulf). Back then my peppers were bells, jals and serranos...we picked pequin and tepins along our fence lines...oh and we used to whoop y'alls a$$es in football!

Welcome to my glog brother! Beware...I am a blatant overposter.
Shane

Hey Shane,

Did you see Devine's record for last year? Google Joseph Sadler I worked with his Grandma, she kept us all filled in :party:

Scott

Dude, your plants are growing FAST!!! Flowers already...and pods. I had to start in October for a three month handicap, hahaha! I'm just now getting some flowers on the supers. No where near as many as you have. Great job!

Going back to your Goat Weed, it may still make upright pods. I have two plants from last year, a Chinese 5-color and a Thai, that the flowers aim down, but once a pod starts the stem straightens and the pod grows upward. It will be interesting to see if your Goat Weed does that, as well.

Oh, and btw, love the spoon tag in the spoon tomato...clever. ;)

Thanks guys...I am humbled! Denniz...the new process is basically stated up there. I have a pic I will upload later...

Scott...I told you this on another thread, but my very first garden back in the early 80's was about 80 miles southwest of you in Carrizo Springs. I started it on my own...and later I used it as an FFA project. They sell shiner out here...and my Great Aunt lived in Shiner, only thing better than their beer is their sausage! I know all too well the challenge of gardening in the scorching heat of that area. Carrizo is the hottest place I've ever lived...one small step up from hell on earth. (Persian Gulf). Back then my peppers were bells, jals and serranos...we picked pequin and tepins along our fence lines...oh and we used to whoop y'alls a$$es in football!

Welcome to my glog brother! Beware...I am a blatant overposter.
Shane

Lawd, they just started selling Shiner here too. About like what happened when they began to sell Corona: the rage. :rolleyes: Being an adopted Texan, and hell yes, Carizzo Sp. is THE HOTTEST FREAKIN' place I've ever been . . . which speaks. Lovely humidity as well . . . it angers me when Shiner becomes a fad since we all drank it as Texans--no big deal. Ubiquitous as the skeeters, tree roaches, and Cedar Fever. And people painting their houses burnt umber in Austin Central! smh. About like "Whole Floods" going national.

AND ya sent Rick a manzano, Shane: it is beautiful. My Birgit gave up ghost . . . hint . . . hint . . . hint :rofl:

I’ve been thinking the same with the drill, making lots of small holes all the way up the sides around the entire pot. I have a lot of inherited, funky gifted pots … heck even the nursery pots could use extra holes. Only things that has held me back is damaging the structural integrity, adding to the fugly factor and shorting their life span. Many holes should give them more ventilation like air pots except the bottom. IMO the bottom of some could become too weak ...

No rush on seeds, wait till you get a killer pod or late season … thanks! BTW congrats on being named "core glog" by da master ... you deserve it mon \o_
Not sure the will need many more holes here...it gets HOT and VERY dry. So if I can resist over watering early on I think they'll be the ticket June-September. I had to set my timer to water every 6 hours at one point last year...If I get good clean pods...you'll get some seeds, but you'll have to remove them from the pods yourself.

Wow shane.. looks awesome.. please do share the technique!!
Coming up...

Looking good Shane :party:

Man, plants outside already. It must be nice. It was a brisk 27 when I left for work this morning.
Yeah...they're out there, but some blossom drop is going on as expected. That's I may get a couple to stick early, and if not they'll have more time to sink those roots into their new shoes. I feel for you folks with lower zone #s but you're in GA and it won't be too much longer before yours will be in the sunshine too...

Wow, Shane! Dude! Sweet!
Thanks Gary...can't wait to see your plot once its up and running.

The grow is looking awesome. I am so jealous of your blooms it ain't even funny. Keep it growing man!!!
Thanks Bodeen! Most of them are dropping like mentioned above. The annuums are making a few stick, but it won't be long before a super will get lucky!

Hey Shane,

Did you see Devine's record for last year? Google Joseph Sadler I worked with his Grandma, she kept us all filled in :party:

Scott
Yeah man they kicked some ass...where did he end up going to school?

Dude, your plants are growing FAST!!! Flowers already...and pods. I had to start in October for a three month handicap, hahaha! I'm just now getting some flowers on the supers. No where near as many as you have. Great job!

Going back to your Goat Weed, it may still make upright pods. I have two plants from last year, a Chinese 5-color and a Thai, that the flowers aim down, but once a pod starts the stem straightens and the pod grows upward. It will be interesting to see if your Goat Weed does that, as well.

Oh, and btw, love the spoon tag in the spoon tomato...clever. ;)
Thanks Brent...most of your plants are still way ahead of mine, but I like my chances for more pods than I need! Looks like you're right about the GW, think they're standing up...pic to follow.
Lawd, they just started selling Shiner here too. About like what happened when they began to sell Corona: the rage. :rolleyes: Being an adopted Texan, and hell yes, Carizzo Sp. is THE HOTTEST FREAKIN' place I've ever been . . . which speaks. Lovely humidity as well . . . it angers me when Shiner becomes a fad since we all drank it as Texans--no big deal. Ubiquitous as the skeeters, tree roaches, and Cedar Fever. And people painting their houses burnt umber in Austin Central! smh. About like "Whole Floods" going national.

AND ya sent Rick a manzano, Shane: it is beautiful. My Birgit gave up ghost . . . hint . . . hint . . . hint :rofl:
I lived in El Paso twice...but Carrizo was way hotter. Yuma AZ, El Centro CA both hot too. Kinda like the armpits of the world...but the Persian Gulf is definitely the crotch!
I got your back on the BIrgits, but I gotta let them grow up a bit before they are ready to ship.

Here is the high tech new germ station!!!
gallery_5729_82_965797.jpg

Yup...I stuck all the "had to have" varieties that hadn't germed yet in here. Pellets in soil...in a tray...on a mat set at 80 under the lights that are on a timer. I just try to keep them moist and they are popping like crazy! Some that sat under the dome on the mat forever with no luck are popping too! This pic was taken a week ago and most of these are now plants...

gallery_5729_82_2081192.jpg

Yup...upright Doc!!! I am so stoked these are already setting!

gallery_5729_82_2211288.jpg

And so are these!!! PI438638 from Jamie (Romy6) anyone got some info on these guys?

gallery_5729_82_4291126.jpg

Wasn't paying close enough attention to this one...Until I though the true leaves were sprouting below the cotys!!! Um...nope, the cotys have a seed shell belt on. Once the second true leaves are a little bigger I will clip one coty below the seed shell...

gallery_5729_82_2408153.jpg

Numex Centennial...

gallery_5729_82_3943141.jpg

They're on the pool deck!!! Don't mind that green pool...must just be reflecting off the plants??? :liar:

gallery_5729_82_3762058.jpg

More along the pool...

A few nons...
gallery_5729_82_1958359.jpg

Red Robin Tomato

gallery_5729_82_1511505.jpg

I don't know what this one is??? Was here when we moved in. Large bush that is covered in these flowers...

gallery_5729_82_213532.jpg

Another??? Small tree covered in clusters of these tiny flowers...

Thanks for checking in everyone, more to follow. I have some more potting up to do...
Night all,
Shane

Back