• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

Your plants are looking great Shane.

gallery_5729_82_2081192.jpg

Man this sure is a furry plant. I love the way that pod is reaching up to the blossom

"[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Looking awesome - pods already! Nice. Love the rainbow pots - they are pretty [/background] :lol:
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]You've got that green thumb kicked into overdrive. Well done as always!"[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Thanks Andy...the pots are nice so far. Mama already complained that I used a couple nursery containers and ran out to buy more of the perdy ones...[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]"[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Lookin good shane! Those cane poles look nice but don't they work better when fishin? Your plants are stallions! They dont need no walkin stick!"[/background]

Thanks Steve...I thought that last year...but some of them were 6-7 feet by seasons end and I was running around cutting limbs off trees to hold them up. So I thought I would start off with a plan this year!

Hi Shane,

Romy might have got them from my seed swap last year. If so, the seed came from Smokemaster.

http://thechileman.o...ubscribe=Search

I'm usually pretty good with flower ID's but I'm not as familiar with shrubs. Sorry I can't help on those two.
Thanks Bonnie...either that site is off...or Smokemaster is. Listed as a chinense, but its an annuum. So no telling what it is...My favorite!

Goat weeds are looking prime!
They sure are perdy!!! I may try my hand at some crosses with it this season???

Shane,

Great pics, your plants are rockin'!

He's at Incarnate Word in SA.

Have a good one,

Scott
Thanks Scott. Wow...hard to believe a D1 didn't pick him up. Impressive records, but when you're 3A you don't get a good look from the scouts.

Whoa that last update is the bomb, now go grab yourself a beer ... it's on me ;)
Hey...I just realized I payed for that beer that was on you cheapskate! :rofl: Thanks Ramon...I have had 1 or 8 today... :shh:

Great job and glog Shane. I was out in your hood yesterday at W. Andersons. It must have been over 80. Foggy here, hense the later start. I should know better to look at your pictures when I am hungry. lol
I do some shopping there...they had some supers last year, but they looked terrible. That early fog is nice on the plants and hard on the commute.

My eyes: :shocked: and my mouth: :drooling:. I raise ya beer and go a case Shiner on this grow, Ramon! ;) Dang, Shane! Just gorgeous! Holy Envy = INSPIRATION. IMO, the greatest gift one can give another. I'm pleasantly: :shocked:
Thanks Annie..your music is the bomb! Thanks for sending...I am fresh outta shiners and back to the Fat Tires...all good! No need to envy, yours are plenty perdy too! Now tuck those eyeballs back in your head!

Aha! I see the secret to your growing success is to always keep the gasoline can in view of your plants... ;)
I bark at them like a drill Sergeant too...DO YOU SEE THAT GAS CAN RIGHT THERE!!! I WILL POUR IT ON YOU AND SET YOUR A$$ES ON FIRE...DO YOU HEAR ME...NOW GROW GROW GROW!!!

Those guys look at home along the pool. Now that they're out in sunlight, it's gonna be ON!
They love their sun deck!

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]"Man this sure is a furry plant. I love the way that pod is reaching up to the blossom"[/background]
Thanks RPM...This one is so much furrier than the ones I grew last year...really diggin this plant!!!

"Wow man, already outside and boomin! You got yo shiznit down! Atta boy Shane!"
I thought they'd slow down a bit for sure...but they're still cruising! Thanks for stopping by Jamison!

I did a ton this weekend...so busy I had to go back and grab the camera several times and still missed a bunch of stuff. I prepped some more vegetable and flower beds. Planted the corn, cucumbers and sunflowers so far...more potting up. A lot of weeding, amending and tilling too...I mean a LOT of weeding lol. One of few draw backs to southern California weather is the weeds and grass NEVER stop growing. So unless you keep up with it the weeds can take over in the few short months between season's end and beginning...Found some more volunteer peppers in a different bed than last time as well as wild nightshade everywhere so the potential for disaster looms. Here are a few of the pics I snapped the past couple days...
gallery_5729_82_4669407.jpg

Another group moving outside...well most of them...only keeping 6 out of this tray. Denniz I think that's the Yellow Brain I am holding for you in the upper right...

gallery_5729_82_2208869.jpg

Here they are this evening...they are the 6 along the front left.

gallery_5729_82_5091466.jpg

A few supers are trying...but still dropping most of their blooms. The Moruga (Bakers Peppers) may get one stuck before long. This one had a little pepper peeking out...so do about 8 other blooms. Cross your fingers y'all! Would be fitting for the current champion to be the first super to pod. Yeah...I got the Reapers too...but until Guinness recognizes it...this one is the champ! Maybe when they come out to record my record tallest pepper plant this fall they can take a few pods to get tested too! :rofl:

gallery_5729_82_2901061.jpg

Romy's Mystery Pheno 1
gallery_5729_82_2069791.jpg

Romy's Mystery Pheno 2

gallery_5729_82_2453113.jpg

Here is the teacher's pet Goat's Weed...Don't mind the jumbled mess I left in the background. If you look closely you can see two raised beds in the upper left. Corn is planted in the far one...the closer one with just a corner showing is where I plan to put one of my Birgits Locotos for the growdown...
gallery_5729_82_1746197.jpg

Another teacher's pet is the Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon from Pr0digal_Son)

gallery_5729_82_897423.jpg

This one isn't as picture perfect...just pure BRUT! Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Romy6)...Looks nice from this angle but...

gallery_5729_82_1563046.jpg

A glance up her skirt gives you a better perspective of what a beast she is!

gallery_5729_82_3101010.jpg

Finally a Fatalii (Pulpiteer) Looks like Romain!

I got a few more...will post them if I get a bump, or will wait 'till tomorrow. Hope everyone had a BA weekend!
Shane

Bump!!!! Awesome!
Thanks Mill!!!

Epic update! Is that a new beer posing in each shot? You should be pretty boogered up by now! My goat's weed just broke the surface today,yours is 2' tall!
Timing was good here...little sketchy toward the end with the plants getting bigger than I expected, but that's always a great problem to have! I did have more than a couple today... :drunk:

Man, those guys are growing FAST!

Your point about the weeds is very well taken.
Things are going well right here...Ma Nature will throw some curve balls, and even some straight up fastballs I see coming, but just can't hit!

Thanks for the bumps fellas...here are a few more...
gallery_5729_82_4956416.jpg

Barrackpore (DocNrock)

gallery_5729_82_5230869.jpg

Here you go Steve and Ramon...Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)

gallery_5729_82_3904246.jpg

Birgit's Locoto...

gallery_5729_82_1810438.jpg

Some Volunteers...ughhh.

gallery_5729_82_340778.jpg

FInally got a Douglah to pop...(Coheed) and whouldn't you know it one of only two helmets this year. Surgery was a success.

gallery_5729_82_3789118.jpg

These guys got bigger shoes today. Some Birgits Locotos, a couple Poblanos, Bubble Gum 7 and a Reaper.

gallery_5729_82_1025442.jpg

Inspected very closely and only found two of these freakin things so far...more to come I'm sure. Part of the game...but I don't like it!

gallery_5729_82_2013774.jpg

Growdown spot...4 will leave the grow room into 5# then once the roots fill in the biggest two will move on to the finale...one in a container one here. We shall see.

gallery_5729_82_1468002.jpg

Corn Patch...planted yesterday.

gallery_5729_82_158327.jpg

Cukes along here...

Aight that's if for now...Thanks for checking in!
Shane

I love all of those containers and their retro color scheme. Looks very nice Shane and your plants are beautiful as well a nice start to what will be a great year my friend. Oh and they're not coming to your house after they stop at mine and find out there's no need to go any further...my Brigit's the Alpha and the Omega..deal with it.

Man, veggies already... most excellent Chief! I started my early greens inside, and have Claytonia and Mache' sprouts downstairs. I'll probably plant them outside the end of this month or the beginning of the next... weather permitting. We have another snowstorm predicted for tonight and tomorrow. and it's 11 degrees outside right now. I tell ya, winter's getting on my nerves! At least I've got some green stuff to look at while I wait...

I did a pepper swap with SeanW yesterday and picked up a Butch T and an FDA Scotch Bonnet from him. Have you grown either of these?

Back