• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

Whats up brother-First post I managed to fall into was the food post.I swore these off for my catch up exercises here(other then a quick visit to Matt's log, this is my first go round in glogs in entirely wayyyyy toooo loooonnnnggggggg!).Just making that night to day transition.....and this was breakfast, and damn that all looked good.A then the phones went nuts LOL.Love those drip fueled pots.....looks like this year will be "Return with a Vengeance"! Well so much for browsing time , gotta go soothe the drumbeats again.
Have a good one -
DJ

Shane, awesome first shot of pepper row, the pots appear to go on infinitely ... great perspective shot! Porter looks concerned, maybe he’s mumbling “dis master cares more for peppers dan me,” hehe, only kidding mon. Whoa dem pods are looking mean, love dat look!!! It seems like everything is kicking azz at the stc3248 Pepper Pool Estates, have a great weekend brethren!

Shane, you said it when you talking about the daytime temps in the 90s and nighttime in the 50s.  Our weather has been practically the same.  I don't think words can describe how much the plants seem to love that combination.  I've seen the results on my end, as well.  Looks like your plants are loading up with pods.  Good thing they are loading up before true summer gets here, otherwise you'd be waiting until fall!  Great shots, as always, my friend.  Your plants are getting huge.  Love the look of your drip irrigation system.  I got inspired by you and Rick and set up my own drip system last weekend.  I'll have to get some pics up one of these days.  ;)

Keep it up!

Love the shot of all the huge plants in colored pots lined up along the pool!  I like your priorities, making sure the peppers have irrigation, the grass ... not so much, hahaha!!!

Hey, what do you think of imgur?  Photobucket is telling me I'm at 97% of storage capacity.   I can't afford to pay for more space, and don't want to delete all my old photos, so I'm looking for another option.

Shane you kill me with your Porter shots, mumbling under his breath, you sir have a great eye for catching a shot of him where a great comment can be played. 

Is that Scotch Bonnet an OW? I have some of those from Greg too, need to pot them up soon they're still in solo's

Have a great weekend and I meant to say thank you for your assistance and help for Jessica with the plants till Matt got home. Your an amazing grower and I knew she would be in great hands should anything come up.

Bill

Ramon asked "Great job on the auto feeder, what are you using to feed them thru it? Will concentrate tea work fine thru it? Also what are you using the MG continuous feed fert on and how do you like it?"
Answer is I use water soluble ferts designed for an autofeeder...ummmm, same folks that make my soil. Stuff works, as far as the concentrated tea, I think it would work but you'd have to strain it really well to avoid clogging up the drippers. I have used fish ferts through it as well and that works fine as is. 

Devv said:
Excellent video!

I just started listening to country in the last 18 months, actually Chris Young on the music server now, did recognize Kenny there, old die hard rocker here...but slowing down LOL..
Plants look wonderful! you're going to be in pod heaven real soon  :dance:
Foodies...damn! Now I just want the rest of the week off to cook! It rained this weekend and everything was so wet I didn't even fire up the pit.

Good job buddy!

koskorgul said:
Slowing down???
I'm a rocker, dude through and through. Here's my favorite bands: AC/DC, Van Halen, not Van Hagar, Skynyrd, Def Lep (what movie) LOL
Joe Dirt!!!
I listen to just about everything...from hip hop to country...I was a Metal fan in HS moved on to alternative/rock in college still with metal mixed in. NIN, Metallica, White Zombie...

RocketMan said:
Whew, my turn to play catch up. Plants are looking great Shane and  your getting some really beautiful pods. Reminds me I have to find a good Jalapeno that will work good for poppers. Have you had the Red Zebra tomatoes before? I'm just getting started with them and have heard great things about the Black Krims. They're supposed to make great Sun-Dried tomatoes too. BTW, I followed your recipe for a batch of smoked Haba-Peno powder and man it's even better than the last batch. Thanks for posting that up!

Have a great weekend
I haven't tasted those Red Zebras yet...but I picked one yesterday and will give her a go today! Haven't dried tomatoes yet, but maybe I'll give that a shot as well...gonna have to do something with them...even the few bushes I have will put out more than we'll eat. 

I knew I shouldn't let out too many trade secrets on that powder!!! Damn! :rofl:

gnslngr said:
Whats up brother-First post I managed to fall into was the food post.I swore these off for my catch up exercises here(other then a quick visit to Matt's log, this is my first go round in glogs in entirely wayyyyy toooo loooonnnnggggggg!).Just making that night to day transition.....and this was breakfast, and damn that all looked good.A then the phones went nuts LOL.Love those drip fueled pots.....looks like this year will be "Return with a Vengeance"! Well so much for browsing time , gotta go soothe the drumbeats again.
Have a good one -
DJ
Sorry about the foodies! Haha...I have the same love/hate thing going on with them myself. I sure hope I can keep the upper hand on the critters and viruses. I have already started stockpiling all the seeds I can, and have a few pods to seed today. Sucked last year not being able to send any out...Hope you can keep a handle on things at your place with your schedule...I maybe shipboard again by September (15 months early)...we'll see.

WalkGood said:
Shane, awesome first shot of pepper row, the pots appear to go on nfinitely ... great perspective shot! Porter looks concerned, maybe he’s mumbling “dis master cares more for peppers dan me,” hehe, only kidding mon. Whoa dem pods are looking mean, love dat look!!! It seems like everything is kicking azz at the stc3248 Pepper Pool Estates, have a great weekend brethren!
Thanks Ramon! Nah...Porter just has his expressions. He will even look at you and raise just one eyebrow...he's a cool customer. Some of those pods have me pretty nervous. I eat at least one of everything I grow out straigh up to see what they're all about...and with Reapers and Rennies and Morugas out there its gonna be painful for sure!

sicman said:
glad your bbq went off without a hitch.  plants are looking all sexy and neat. port dog looking real fat and happy now get in that pool and enjoy your weekend :dance:
I haven't been in the pool yet this year, that's a great idea! I may even crack me a beer or 6!

Devv said:
Nice update, the plants look great all lined up in formation!

Very cool pics of the pods, glad they're starting to set in numbers.

It's going to be a :hot: summer!

Have a great weekend!
Thanks Scott! I am so pleased that so far everything has even turned the right color!!! Last year was full of surprises when it came harvest time. Chocolates turned out yellow...reds turned out yellow...browns turned out red...hahaha. Part of the deal when you're growing OP seeds, and part of he suspense! 

DocNrock said:
Shane, you said it when you talking about the daytime temps in the 90s and nighttime in the 50s.  Our weather has been practically the same.  I don't think words can describe how much the plants seem to love that combination.  I've seen the results on my end, as well.  Looks like your plants are loading up with pods.  Good thing they are loading up before true summer gets here, otherwise you'd be waiting until fall!  Great shots, as always, my friend.  Your plants are getting huge.  Love the look of your drip irrigation system.  I got inspired by you and Rick and set up my own drip system last weekend.  I'll have to get some pics up one of these days.  ;)

Keep it up!
I just mentioned to Rick that they throttled back on our temp forecast and now were only in the mid 80s here the next few days and hovering around 80 for the rest of the 10 day forecast, so thinks are looking sweet! The drip system is a life saver, I wouldn't be able to grow without it. Good luck getting yours setup. Aside from the timers, everything else is relatively inexpensive.

highalt said:
Love the shot of all the huge plants in colored pots lined up along the pool!  I like your priorities, making sure the peppers have irrigation, the grass ... not so much, hahaha!!!

Hey, what do you think of imgur?  Photobucket is telling me I'm at 97% of storage capacity.   I can't afford to pay for more space, and don't want to delete all my old photos, so I'm looking for another option.
I have tried to get the landlord to buy off on me installing auto timers and valves for the sprinkler system...he don't wanna do it, and mama works too, so she ain't gonna get up and water every morning while trying to get the kids off to school and herself ready. Oh well...less mowing for me!!! :rofl: 

Funny you should ask...I have been tinkering in Imgur all morning. The photos I uploaded yesterday were from there, so it works! Very user friendly with plenty of extra perks. Much easier to use and upload from than either Photobucket or Flickr. The original free phtobucket had a few more editing tools, but Imgur has a good selection, and is FREE. I really like it and recommend you all give it a go. Drag and drop to upload, or select the files the traditional way, set up folders. Can go back and edit titles/photos easily. 

Here are some I used the editing tools on this morning:
ZgGhs4o.jpg

Belize City Scotch Bonnet(Pic1)

56G5CRI.jpg

Jamaican Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)

k42H9B7.jpg

Goat's Weed

OUbgVdJ.jpg

Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Romy6)

n0Ki8AF.jpg

Numex Centennial 

HQ0pjyn.jpg

Lily...

Nm5VoE9.jpg

Mama in the garden! Rare sighting!

UNQNU0u.jpg

Lizard on the fence...have tons of these guys running around, my son love to catch them. The get perdy damn big...

31tJQ40.jpg

Bumble Bee on the Honeysuckle...

R4dujkm.jpg

Some of mama's perdies...well my perdies for mama I should say.

So verdict is in...I like it!!! Kick the bucket folks! Wait...what???

Your peppers are looking fantastic.  I really like those colorful pots.  Looks like nothing is trying to eat your peppers.
I'm finding tiny holes in some of my leaves and also crescent shaped cuts.  I may have to put something organic on
them to keep bugs off.

What a fantastic update. I missed the video and had to go back a few pages to check it out. The garden is ao neat and pretty. And who knew you could catch such a pretty wife. Aahahaahaaaaa

Shane thanks for the feedback on the auto feeder, I’d like to set one up one of these days but I’ll have to consolidate my 4 grow locations into one to make it easier on me, lol.

stc3248 said:
… I listen to just about everything...from hip hop to country...I was a Metal fan in HS moved on to alternative/rock in college still with metal mixed in. NIN, Metallica, White Zombie...
Nice diversity in your music, I like dat too, but what no soca or reggae, hehehe

stc3248 said:
I haven't tasted those Red Zebras yet...but I picked one yesterday and will give her a go today! Haven't dried tomatoes yet, but maybe I'll give that a shot as well...gonna have to do something with them...even the few bushes I have will put out more than we'll eat.
I’ll be interested in reading your assessment of the Zebra taste ^_^ And beyond drying some matoes or using into powders why not can some :)

stc3248 said:
I knew I shouldn't let out too many trade secrets on that powder!!! Damn! :rofl:
Good for you, it’s always good to keep dem old family recipes in da vault ;)

stc3248 said:
Sorry about the foodies! Haha... …
Never apologize for greatness, even when joking ;)

stc3248 said:
I maybe shipboard again by September (15 months early)...
Dam, hope you’ll have net access or you’ll be greatly missed :/

stc3248 said:
… Some of those pods have me pretty nervous. I eat at least one of everything I grow out straigh up to see what they're all about...and with Reapers and Rennies and Morugas out there its gonna be painful for sure!
I’d be nervous too, dats some serious heat brethren, hehehe …

Wow all the plants & pods look great, dem Belize Bonnets, those JA Bonnets, dat Goat’s Weed, dis yellow Billy Boy Douglah … dam every ting looks awesome, even mama & her nons … enjoy dat beer or 6 and your swim you deserve it brethren!!!

roper2008 said:
Your peppers are looking fantastic.  I really like those colorful pots.  Looks like nothing is trying to eat your peppers.
I'm finding tiny holes in some of my leaves and also crescent shaped cuts.  I may have to put something organic on
them to keep bugs off.
I have plenty that are getting eaten up out there...sluggs, snails and caterpillars oh my. They're holding their own though! I've been staying away from even the organic controls to prevent killing off the friendlies. Seems to be finding a balance out there! Thanks for stopping in!

Sanarda said:
What a fantastic update. I missed the video and had to go back a few pages to check it out. The garden is ao neat and pretty. And who knew you could catch such a pretty wife. Aahahaahaaaaa
Thanks Pia! I didn't throw any spidey pics in there for you darn!!! I sure am a lucky man to have landed that perdy lady. 19 year anniversary this month! :dance: Vegas baby!!!

Trippa said:
Looking fantastic Shane !! Geez you are going to be in for some great production this season. Keep on growing
Thanks Trip...I sure hope so! This time last year I was pulling up sick plants, so I am ahead of that for sure. Thanks for stopping by!

WalkGood said:
Shane thanks for the feedback on the auto feeder, I’d like to set one up one of these days but I’ll have to consolidate my 4 grow locations into one to make it easier on me, lol.

Nice diversity in your music, I like dat too, but what no soca or reggae, hehehe

I’ll be interested in reading your assessment of the Zebra taste ^_^ And beyond drying some matoes or using into powders why not can some :)

Good for you, it’s always good to keep dem old family recipes in da vault ;)

Never apologize for greatness, even when joking ;)

Dam, hope you’ll have net access or you’ll be greatly missed :/

I’d be nervous too, dats some serious heat brethren, hehehe …

Wow all the plants & pods look great, dem Belize Bonnets, those JA Bonnets, dat Goat’s Weed, dis yellow Billy Boy Douglah … dam every ting looks awesome, even mama & her nons … enjoy dat beer or 6 and your swim you deserve it brethren!!!

Ramon, I have two, two station timers. So four areas could work if they're close enough together. I do love my foodies. I was all set to taste test dat Red Zebra but I caught a mocking bird snacking on the ripe one out there...ughhh. I ain't too proud to cut off the nibbled part! The ship is a maybe, and I would have access. The ship would/should also be stationed closer to home...so I should have more time at home...well until we deploy anyway. Still a maybe I'll keep y'all posted.
THUGlXv.jpg

Almost forgot to post this one earlier...Yellow CARDI Scorpion (Romy6) 

I have a bunch of new pods to show off tomorrow!!! I spent the day weeding, and replacing more drippers with soaker rings. The drippers worked very well in the 5# nursery containers last year, but the bigger pots need the rings to evenly distribute the water. Hope your weekends are rockin and you're staying out of the weather errybody!
Shane

Looking great! So much production!! Imgur is definitely the way to go, so user friendly and free. Another nice thing is their respect for privacy, they scrub all of the exif data on your pictures. You don't have to worry about some weirdo looking up your GPS coordinates on all of your pictures.

Wow, nice update! The wife's a jewel, lucky you!

My brother was on the JFK in the late '70's and early '80's, did three Med tours. Hopefully this won't take you away from all that you love for too long. We all appreciate your service!

I use our own domain for uploading, when we had the ISP our domain was devtex.net, we still have enough people that want to have their old email addresses so they cover our expense (10 bucks a month).

Soooo, think about this we could easily set something up so a ton of people could upload and pay very little. AND it would be mas secure, just a thought..

Have a great weekend!

19 years is a beautiful thing. I had my 17 yr this past May. The 10th. So yeah give it up for the pretty girls keeping their men. Woooot woooottt. Vegas is a great idea my friend. We are going to Florida in July when the youngest is officially out of school. She's 15 and the oldes is 21. Will be 22 July 11. So killing two birds with one stone plus they don't want to be bothered with us anyway. Rent them a car and we won't see em. Just the way I like it.

Just catching up here. Plants look super healthy. You are in that first stage where you get a random pod here and there and the pods take a whole month to ripen.Pretty soon you are gonna get slammed.

I love that manzano picture with the blue Cali sky.They are a great plant. I just put two of them in 15 gallon pots,hoping for the best.Have a good week Shane.

Back