• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

Just posted this up in the Mmmmm Poppers thread...used a couple of the Jamaican Hot Yellows picked earlier and some huge Jals I grabbed yesterday...

I have been in Cali long enough to get accustomed to some Sushi. I actually like the stuff, but it ain't home food. So...
P1020755.jpg

First off I picked up this little baby in Vegas last weekend...being a displaced Texan it just spoke to me...

P1020799.jpg

Here we have some leftover beans and rice from last night's dinner, some New Year Ham, Mexi-blend cheese, some cream cheese and of course some bacon along side some of the biggest baddest Jals yet!

P1020800.jpg

Cut the tops off a few...

P1020801.jpg

..but found this coring tool a better tool for the job.

P1020803.jpg

Mixed up two batches of stuffing, one cream/mexi-mix cheeses and the other a combo of cream/mexi cheeses, beans and rice. Soft fried the bacon and cut the ham into long thick slices...

P1020804.jpg

...made four different combos, Bacon/bean&cheese, Bacon/cream cheese, ham/bean&cheese and ham/cream cheese. Pushed the meat down in there and used a pastry gun to get the goodness down inside...

P1020805.jpg

then I loaded up the Dillo! I fell two short of filling it up, so I used two fresh picked Jamaican Hot Yellows to round it out.

P1020806.jpg

Then I sliced em up...

P1020807.jpg

Texas-style Sushi-Poppers!!! These things are hit!

Shane

Nice start Shane. So with your big winnings are you gonna lend a girl 20 bucks. Aahahahahahaha. Love the light setup. I have to put my setup together this weekend. May copy yours

Dang Brotha Shane............dem poppers be popping !

That apple coring tool does the trick. But the injector is the "Bomb"

Hmm.........core a jalapeno, soften some peanut butter in the mike,... inject the PB into the peppers, chill in the fridge.
Melt some chocolate, dip the peppers in the sauce and re-chill orsemi freeze. Cut into coins and serve as an appy or dessert.

By the way, great grow room setup.........you've got that better tuned than a Steinway Piano......

Always a pleasure stopping here.

Greg

Hi Shane
Throw in a few Maki rolls and you've got a complete meal... a grow room that you can dismantle and compactly stow is a great idea! Keep up the good work!

“Texas-style Sushi-Poppers!” those things are the bomb!!! I bet they taste awesome ^_^ Although you got the name wrong, it should be “Shane-style Sushi-Poppers!!!” :) If I get some of my Jalapenos to grow that large I’m all over it. That coring tool looks similar to this thing they had here in FL many years ago to tap into an orange and suck the juice out, lol

Man, Shane, you got a lot done on your leave/vacation!
Your grow setup is evolving nicely; those power strip units
are def a great idea!

Nice root balls your plants had.
I wish you luck in rid getting of the virus from your yard.

Texas-style Sushi-Poppers look great

:cheers:

Nice work Shane! I made a box last season and will keep going that route. Tents are nice if you want to grow 3 full size plants,not as customizable as something you build yourself. I like the powerstrip lighting,alittle easier than vanity bar lights that some folks use. I saw a big 12 plug strip and thought about tinkering a bit but I have enough light for my needs. Good luck with the sprouts,by far the most exciting part of growing.

Nice start Shane. So with your big winnings are you gonna lend a girl 20 bucks. Aahahahahahaha. Love the light setup. I have to put my setup together this weekend. May copy yours
Pia that money was spent before we got home! :rofl: Thanks for the kind words! Looking forward to your grow. Copy away!

sushi poppers! THAT is genius!
Thank you kid! Good to hear from ya....been running? I got another 50 miler next weekend. :crazy:

Dang Brotha Shane............dem poppers be popping !

That apple coring tool does the trick. But the injector is the "Bomb"

Hmm.........core a jalapeno, soften some peanut butter in the mike,... inject the PB into the peppers, chill in the fridge.
Melt some chocolate, dip the peppers in the sauce and re-chill orsemi freeze. Cut into coins and serve as an appy or dessert.

By the way, great grow room setup.........you've got that better tuned than a Steinway Piano......

Always a pleasure stopping here.

Greg
I feel honored by your presence Sir Greg!!! Always nice to have you stop over. I got one of your Belize Scotch Bonnets to pop last night. I am away right now, but hope the extra day without me watching over them will make the shy ones come on out! That desert idea might get done...maybe even Chocolate covered PB and Mallow fluff...

Hi Shane
Throw in a few Maki rolls and you've got a complete meal... a grow room that you can dismantle and compactly stow is a great idea! Keep up the good work!
Momma made a "Taco Ring" Family favorite. I have some pics somewhere...Really wanted to stuff some with shrimp, bacon and cheese...would have really been the ticket I think!

Those are some awesome looking jalapeno nori rolls bro!!
Thanks! Who needs stinkin seaweed right???

“Texas-style Sushi-Poppers!” those things are the bomb!!! I bet they taste awesome ^_^ Although you got the name wrong, it should be “Shane-style Sushi-Poppers!!!” :) If I get some of my Jalapenos to grow that large I’m all over it. That coring tool looks similar to this thing they had here in FL many years ago to tap into an orange and suck the juice out, lol
I wanted people to like them...not go all stalker on them! Gotta be careful when you're hot like me! :rofl: The tool is probably the same one. It can be used to juice lemons/oranges etc. One of those deals you got "free" with some hunk of junk you threw away a long time ago.

Man, Shane, you got a lot done on your leave/vacation!
Your grow setup is evolving nicely; those power strip units
are def a great idea!
I sure did, but not enough! I have a little more to do before its on cruise control...but I am pretty set. Rotten thing is I was told I was supposed to come off leave today, only to find out it was really tomorrow... :confused: Didn't drive the 100 miles back though. Just had them check me in early. I general idea for the lights came from someone else's grow last year??? He had a couple bulbs in a standard power strip laying across a Styrofoam ice chest for 4 or 5 little plants...I just put a couple Tim Taylor mods into it.

Nice root balls your plants had.
I wish you luck in rid getting of the virus from your yard.

Texas-style Sushi-Poppers look great

:cheers:
The rootballs were pretty surprising. All my 5# plants were root bound. I may try some 7 or 10 gallon containers on some this year. I am super paranoid about that virus getting into my new plants. Hopefully I can keep them clean this season! The popper were a big hit at the house...only thing was those HUGE jals were a bit too big for my popper tray!

Nice work Shane! I made a box last season and will keep going that route. Tents are nice if you want to grow 3 full size plants,not as customizable as something you build yourself. I like the powerstrip lighting,alittle easier than vanity bar lights that some folks use. I saw a big 12 plug strip and thought about tinkering a bit but I have enough light for my needs. Good luck with the sprouts,by far the most exciting part of growing.
Pr0...digal!!! Good to hear from ya my man! Got a bunch of the seeds you sent poppin! I like my new grow room. The tents are OK, but $$$$$$. Only thing left to tinker with is the ventilation. Its been cold, and the lights are on at night...temp was still 93 degrees in there this morning! Working on a thermostat/vent fan idea then I should be set to jet!

Thanks for stopping in everyone! Germ update once I get back home...
Shane

50 miler? that is so crazy but so normal for a run nut. i have two 26.2miles plan this year with plenty of half marathon spread in between. Life's good. Chili, beer, bacon and running.

Holy shit man do you ever sleep? You have made a whole year grow in what 10 days :rofl:

Nice to see my yellow cardi bust it's ass out .If I recall that was the most perfect pod I sent ya.Hopefully all of it's babies will be just as perfect They have some good genes . :fireball:

Gonna try any of my mystery annuums? :rolleyes:

Oh and your passion has inspired me to start some more this weekend . Just don't tell my wife ;)

Holy Moly, those are some tasty looking poppers! Look at the size of those monsters :D The dillo rack is just awesome, wish we had stuff like that over here :dance: Good luck with your season!

Glad to see some of mine made the cut. Those are all good for smoking,choco hab,and 7 pot congo get huge and will give you a lot of weight. That strain of douglah has a really nice shape,and savage heat!!!!

Just stopped by to check in. Glad to hear you are loving
your grow closet! I suppose you already have the thermostat/ventilation
rigged up?

Back