• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

When you say freezer, do you mean deep freezer....? One of your pulls looks to be about half of what I pulled for half a year lol that's just awesome. What the hell are you going to do with them all?!? I mean surely you won't even get close to putting a dent in them by next season? Or will you.....DUN DUN DUNNNNNN. Those wilds are just ridiculous to keep up with, I've only got two and they kept me busy longer than the entire rest of the garden! But I love them...your Briggy is super impressive, I stopped posting because mine never got any taller! Maybe I didn't train it well from the get go but after seeing yours, p-sons...I knew I didn't stand a chance! You have a banner season Shane (compared to last year) nice job! Make those coworkers sweat baby!

Hey Brotha................I 'm thinking of packing up my lights, sending you $$$...maybe one more $....with some seeds. You plant...I'll wait for the pods.

Day-yammmm.    baby. You are killing it with the peppers of mass destruction !  Heck of a season, is it still going ? Viewing the pep pics is good for the gardener with depression.............. :lol:
I don't know who grew the largest Birgit......We have 40ft ladders, scissors lefts, 80ft clam buckets.........let me know what you need. The Mayor owes me a favor.........or I'll shut down his needs at the press conferences...... :party: P-son has a killer also, .....he was down for the count literally...on his deck, I saw the photo, stretched out like a human ruler........ :D  I may be a bit behind on the glogs..........Pepper-Guru had one the size of a tree........with a nest at the top, maybe an Eagles.........haa.......Alright , sorry for the fun pokes. 
Hey man continue the great progress, you and a handful of others here have a heavy following of folks that are willing to learn from the Cali-Master.

Greg

Sawyer said:
Hah!  That Birgits is a monster.  Talk about vertical gardening!
Yeah man...she.s a tall drink of water for sure...not the most "practical" way to grow a pepper plant...unless it's next to a house with a balcony. I will keep her going as long as I can and see just how big she gets. I was planning on building a tent over it for the winter, but now I am leaning toward wrapping it with Christmas lights and use my thermo-cube outlet to power them. It powers on at 35 degrees and doesn't shut off until 45 I think??? Throw some ornaments on there and BAM you got a chilihead's Christmas tree!!!

stickman said:
Alright! Helzapoppin' at Casa de Shane! Not surprised to see pod size diminish as the light becomes less intense, but sure like to see all those ripening pods. 11 foot 3 inches is a monsker for the Brigit... if anybody tops that, I figure it'll be by mere inches or less... Great job Chief! Will you be giving chile treats to the adults that take their kids trick-or-treating? Last year I gave them woozies of my fermented sauce. This year it'll be little packets of my smoked "Kitchen sink" powder... :hell:
Yeah, John's real close...and he hasn't posted his results yet, I don't thing??? He may win. I had a bunch of fun and I tried some stuff I wouldn't normally try, which was real cool. The list of names in the hunt along with mine is quite humbling...to be mentioned along side of folks like Rich and John when it comes to growing is an honor! 

That kitchen sink powder is pure gold brother...that stuff is some of the best I've ever had! I wish I was close enough to trick or treat at Rick's pad!
WalkGood said:
Just two words brethren, simply awesome \o/

Ok a few more, great job ... love da pod shots and that Birgits a winner in my book, I've never grown any peppers over 4 or 5 feet, hats off mon \o_
Thanks Ramon!!! She's a winner in my book too. You could grow a Birgits to the moon down in your neighborhood!!! Hats off back at ya brethren!!!

3/5King said:
When you say freezer, do you mean deep freezer....? One of your pulls looks to be about half of what I pulled for half a year lol that's just awesome. What the hell are you going to do with them all?!? I mean surely you won't even get close to putting a dent in them by next season? Or will you.....DUN DUN DUNNNNNN. Those wilds are just ridiculous to keep up with, I've only got two and they kept me busy longer than the entire rest of the garden! But I love them...your Briggy is super impressive, I stopped posting because mine never got any taller! Maybe I didn't train it well from the get go but after seeing yours, p-sons...I knew I didn't stand a chance! You have a banner season Shane (compared to last year) nice job! Make those coworkers sweat baby!
Yeah King...a deep freeze stuffed to the gills with superhots (and I have even hidden a few gallons behind mama's frozen goods in her kitchen freezer)...I have been powdering a gallon a week, and putting 3-5 (HA!) gallons back in the freezer. If I were home all week I could almost keep up and only have a few to do over the winter. Unless I get a couple huge barrels to ferment in or an industrial size dehydrator or three, it's a losing battle. So it's either a small grow next year...OR ANOTHER FREEZER!!!

PIC 1 said:
Hey Brotha................I 'm thinking of packing up my lights, sending you $$$...maybe one more $....with some seeds. You plant...I'll wait for the pods.

Day-yammmm.    baby. You are killing it with the peppers of mass destruction !  Heck of a season, is it still going ? Viewing the pep pics is good for the gardener with depression.............. :lol:
I don't know who grew the largest Birgit......We have 40ft ladders, scissors lefts, 80ft clam buckets.........let me know what you need. The Mayor owes me a favor.........or I'll shut down his needs at the press conferences...... :party: P-son has a killer also, .....he was down for the count literally...on his deck, I saw the photo, stretched out like a human ruler........ :D  I may be a bit behind on the glogs..........Pepper-Guru had one the size of a tree........with a nest at the top, maybe an Eagles.........haa.......Alright , sorry for the fun pokes. 
Hey man continue the great progress, you and a handful of others here have a heavy following of folks that are willing to learn from the Cali-Master.

Greg
Ha Greg...tell it to someone who hasn't read every page of your glogs brother. You do just fine up there in your low zone number. If you came down here, you'd fill the pool with pods with half the plants you currently grow!!! John's human ruler pic was a praetermissum (cumari verdadeira)...and that was the plant's width!!! It was over 11 'wide!   :crazy: He can sure grow 'em...as can Rich...and Gary...and Jamie...Y'all be looking for next year's grow down...it really is fun! I dunno about the Cali Master...don't forget we got folks like Smokemaster and Jim Duffy that'd sooner hold that title.

I'll leave you all with a pic of yesterday's harvest!
pi9c3xJ.jpg

Have a great week everybody! I may pop on mid week to update you all on the plant I got from Nigel that was originally Pepperproblem's...starting to pod up and I have her here at work...

Shane

poypoyking said:
Nice to see things are still going strong there Shane.  I hope you have had time to enjoy a few beers while trying to process all those pods :)  That Birgits is still out of this world.
Thanks Ken...not as strong as they once were, but strong enough I still can't keep up! Great problem to have!

So I mentioned a mid week update. First and foremost I want to update everyone on the plant from Pepperproblem...
V68UX3r.jpg

It was labeled M7 which may be Madballz 7 Pot...but Nigel thought it may be a Moruga, time will tell...and hopefully...

yX8mds3.jpg

it won't be too much longer!!! Covered in tiny pods. I am keeping it here at work on top of a row of bicycle lockers. Frost free zone 10b...hope it'll overwinter without any trouble. RIP Shawn my pepper brother!

fSHcakk.jpg

Here are a few more pepper plants at work...but they ain't mine.

MJZzpnw.jpg

and a couple more...

Finally the Chili Cook Off is tomorrow...
HJ91SQh.jpg

Started by roasting some red ripe Numex Big Jims...

Cz5OZaP.jpg

done...then peeled and seeded. About a quarter of these went in the beans, the rest in the chili.

Ap5YdCP.jpg

Then cubed and browned 12lbs of Boston Butt and 2lbs of Chorizo with 3 large onions...went with pork because it was on sale for 99 cents a pound vice $7.99 for the tri-tip I was looking for. Glad I did...The meat was pre-seasoned in a mixture of Primo and Douglah powders with some store bought chili powder and a little flour.

NvSeEhS.jpg

Once it was browned it went into a large pot to simmer. The color is much better than the phone camera and floro lighting indicates. I added 1 can of fire roasted stewed tomatoes, 1 can of tomato sauce, 2tbs of minced garlic, 1/2 can each of chicken and beef broths, 4 heaping tbs of my favorite store brand chili powder, 2 heaping tbs of Pequin/Goat's Weed flakes, 3 heaping tbs of Primo Cross powder...oh, and just in case that didn't do it 3 heaping tbs of Douglah powder! :shh:  :rofl:  :hell: 

Once all that was in there I simmered for a couple hours before sampling...it had a REALLY good flavor...followed by a very hot burn...but more manageable than I thought...so I added one more tbs of Primo powder for good measure. :dance:  :fireball: 

Really good now...and really hot, but that much powder left a slightly bitter aftertaste...I added a half a beer and about 3tbs of brown sugar a little at a time until the bitter was all gone. I had a small bowl for dinner and the flavor is freakin amazing the burn is no joke either...but still (barely) edible...for me at least. Can't wait to see how the judges like it! :mouthonfire: I'll let y'all know how it goes... :violin:  :whistle: 

Happy hump day errybody!!!
Shane

Good luck with the cookoff... I can just imagine how good it tastes! :mouthonfire:  Good news on your SFRB... it arrived today... Muchisimas gracias Chief!  I tried one of the Charapita Yellows and a Wild Brazil right out of the box... both are tasty snacking peppers, but I think the CY was a bit milder and sweeter. I've got the wilds drying on a south-facing windowsill so I can save some seeds and grind the rest for powder.
SANY0464_zpsb5ec2c70.jpg

I think I see some Yellow Brains, White 7s, and romy's mystery Annuums in there... are the red pods romy Brains and Primos? Thanks again Shane... you rock!

stickman said:
I think I see some Yellow Brains, White 7s, and romy's mystery Annuums in there... are the red pods romy Brains and Primos? Thanks again Shane... you rock!
Glad they made it! Yup, Romy Brains and Primo Crosses...some Birgits and Romy Mysteries with maybe a Goat's Weed or two??? White 7s and Yellow Brains for sure with maybe a Mystery Yellow in there??? Can't tell for sure, and I packed 3 boxes at the same time so I don't remember what all was in each??? If you did have a mystery yellow in there it would be smoother and firmer than the Brains.

Hey brother! Looks like your disease hasn't come back this year! glad to see that!

I had a pathetic pepper year... Picked one pod off one plant thats going on three years old now... Has been totally neglected... But now that I have a tad bit of time I am hoping to start a bunch of seeds... Feels like planting weather here in Florida :)

jsschrstrcks said:
Hey brother! Looks like your disease hasn't come back this year! glad to see that!

I had a pathetic pepper year... Picked one pod off one plant thats going on three years old now... Has been totally neglected... But now that I have a tad bit of time I am hoping to start a bunch of seeds... Feels like planting weather here in Florida :)
Holy...Ken's here errybody!!! No really Holy Ken! Done schooling and with your own Parish now brother...err, ummm father, well you know what I mean??? Sad to hear about your season, but really good to hear from you!
Shane

stc3248 said:
Glad they made it! Yup, Romy Brains and Primo Crosses...some Birgits and Romy Mysteries with maybe a Goat's Weed or two??? White 7s and Yellow Brains for sure with maybe a Mystery Yellow in there??? Can't tell for sure, and I packed 3 boxes at the same time so I don't remember what all was in each??? If you did have a mystery yellow in there it would be smoother and firmer than the Brains.
Whooeee! Chopped the Yellow Mystery pod into my egg n' cheese breakfast sandwich this morning and it was plenty picante! Not sweet at all, and a strong Chinense flavor, but not bad. We're having a cold, wet, grey day here and that got me off on the right foot. Cheers!

There's another Texas expat that has a lunch counter in town here, and we were talking about the wilds the other day. He says they were his first experience with chiles since they grew where he lived originally, and I thought I'd share some with him too to remind him of home. Have a great Halloween!

Dear Lord, Shane . . . that chili, pods, that chili . . . that uh, chili!! :dance: Daaaayum! "Double, double toil and trouble;/Fire burn, and caldron bubble./Fillet 12 lb. boston butts,/In the caldron Big Jim struts;/Eye of Douglah, toe of Goat Weed,/Wool of primo, tongue of crossed seed,/ For a charm of powerful trouble,/ Like a hell-broth boil and bubble." Witches de Macbeth redux.

Happy Halloween! (Dang, that chili! :drooling: )

I'm liking the look of that pork chili...Sounds hot........sweaty heat just like a chili cries for. 
Are you going to have the judges sign a waiver...........just kiddin.

When I was in N'Awlins I hit a hot sauce shop, I had my wife try some salsa's, jellies and none lethal stuff, while I worked my way up the ladder threw the hottest stuff. I put too much of an extract type sauce on a chip not paying attention how much. ....lol
I must have inhaled or something while  trying the sauce because when my wife asked me a question I sounded like I inhaled helium. That took me by surprise..and it burned like a lump of coal. Not fun at all.

"Shane! Come back, Shane!" (Of course I liked the Batman series when they parodied with a character named, "Shame." Kid crying, "Shame! Come back, Shame!")

Where the heck are ya, SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE! :mope:
"♪♫ Well I can't forget this evenin nor your pods as you were leaving but I guess that's just the way the story goes ♪♫"--very sappy. If he can't live if living is without her, why ain't he dead?

Back