• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

Hey errybody!!! Thanks for the kind words. Paul...seems like it, but late in the season I do have one or two that look suspect. No biggie. I have more pods than I can handle, and the plants are freaking loaded with ripe pods right now...maybe I'll actually get a chance to pull them this weekend??? My daughters 18th bday tomorrow, son's football and a BBQ with a buddy that's going back to Afghanistan Saturday...maybe Sunday between hanging Christmas lights and mowing the grass???

Haha...Let's just say mission accomplished on the cookoff! Mine was the first that was all gone, and the only one that will be remembered next year. I did not win, but I was not hoping to. The judges each went back to change their scores after the heat set in and complained they couldn't taste anything else after mine. We also had to run out for some milk for them.... :rofl: Even the judges said mine had the best flavor, texture and color...but the heat was too extreme. Panzies...I ate two bowls.

So...it's been a while. The nights are down around 40, but the highs are still up in the 70s...even had a few 90 degree days last week! The plants really aren't liking the cool nights and some have given up...but others are still pressing forward...
7XSviyv.jpg

These are Jamie's Mysteries with some Yellow Brains, Monster Infinities and some Numex Big Jims in the back ground

6RpYlu8.jpg

Monster Infinity...

d8ZUiVY.jpg

Yellow Brain Strain...

Z4vEHoD.jpg

Giant Twisted Chocolate Habs...

tVVaAHQ.jpg

Douglah...

TOsDiPN.jpg

Primo Cross...

yS9OjD5.jpg

Fatalii...

BlQyx53.jpg

Scotch Bonnets...

s9YLOwE.jpg

Oh...and the Birgits, well is doing what it does, about 12' and still climbing and loaded up.

vcuYgwg.jpg

and more Birgits...

That's all for now folks...I will be back!!!!

Hi Shane, glad to see things are still bumping along at su casa. Your season was great last year even though you had MMV issues... This year is surpassing it in every way... continued success brother!

The Pequins in the SFRB you sent me were the first to dry, interestingly enough, the Charapita Yellows and Wild Brazils must be a lot juicier even though they're a lot smaller. I've saved the seeds from the Pequins and plan to set out 4 plants of that variety next year for the ex-pat Texan who runs a lunch counter here in town. He says he'll take all I can provide him. You're right about those Primo Crosses and Jamie's Brains... I couldn't eat more than a quarter of a pod at a time from either variety. The yellow and white pods are a little milder, but not much... I could eat half a pod at a time of those. I notice the white pods have fairly thick flesh for a Chinense. Are they crossed with something else?

Just went through 20 pages of your grow going back to July.  That is some freakin Chilli Odyssey you're on !!!

The constant high numbers and quality yields are a real statement about your gardening expertise.  Very impressive.

Pinoy83 said:
woooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww shane your peppers are still kicking and that birgit is freakin tallllllllllllllllllllllllllll, aweesommmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeee :dance: :dance: :dance:
Thank Pinoy! Great to hear from you! The birgits plants are freaks of nature for sure! Great plant!!!

GA Growhead said:
Pods, pods and more pods! Pod overload!
Thanks J!!! Pod overload just about covers it...it's been a wonderful year!

Jeff H said:
Looking good but if you are going to grow a plant that tall, you need a bigger ladder . 

:party:
Lol...measuring/picking it is sketchy for sure on that 6' ladder. I can convince mama of a lot of stuff...but buying a ladder just for this plant wasn't one of them!

stickman said:
Hi Shane, glad to see things are still bumping along at su casa. Your season was great last year even though you had MMV issues... This year is surpassing it in every way... continued success brother!

The Pequins in the SFRB you sent me were the first to dry, interestingly enough, the Charapita Yellows and Wild Brazils must be a lot juicier even though they're a lot smaller. I've saved the seeds from the Pequins and plan to set out 4 plants of that variety next year for the ex-pat Texan who runs a lunch counter here in town. He says he'll take all I can provide him. You're right about those Primo Crosses and Jamie's Brains... I couldn't eat more than a quarter of a pod at a time from either variety. The yellow and white pods are a little milder, but not much... I could eat half a pod at a time of those. I notice the white pods have fairly thick flesh for a Chinense. Are they crossed with something else?
That strain of pequin is a great one...actually a tepins cross from sawdust down in Texas, seeds wild harvested. As far as the whit 7s go, much speculation floating around about whether or not they're a 7 or just giant white Habs with a new name...I don't wanna jump on either side of that fence, but they do seem hotter than the white Habs I've had. They are very thick fleshed and that seems to be true of all that I've seen grown...very good pod and plenty hot.

megamoo said:
Just went through 20 pages of your grow going back to July.  That is some freakin Chilli Odyssey you're on !!!

The constant high numbers and quality yields are a real statement about your gardening expertise.  Very impressive.
Mega...thanks for the high praise brotha! I wouldn't wish 20 pages of this glog on anyone!!! Lol...I woke up this morning to not the normal 1 or two likes...but 50!!! You da man, I thought it was some kind of screw up. LMAO...thanks for brightening my morning!

Stay tuned errybody, hope to have a big harvest this afternoon.

Devv said:
 Nice update Shane!

It may be cooling down but they still look great.

Just a fantastic season you've had this year!
Thanks my Tejas Brotha!!! 

Here is what went on today...
WsGs80U.jpg

Here is the Signature Romy Brain...looking a little peeked...but still pumping out the HEAT!!!

xOi6nd3.jpg

Speaking of Romy...here is his monster mystery, living up to monster mama's standards. May mama rest in piece...

Ds8tziK.jpg

Intermingled with one of the Romy Mystery plants is my Goat's Weed...still looking beautiful. She doesn't seem to mind the cool nights one bit!!!

lqiG0eV.jpg

A few early starts for next season...moving right along!!! Three Bubblegums and a Bhut Indian Carbon...

HRfAxWq.jpg

Here is today's Harvest...well at least I thought it was, until I started looking for my larger Yellow Brains and realized...

opIBsp2.jpg

Ha!!! I left them out there!!! So 6 gallon buckets of pods...not all full, but pretty much so. I would call it a solid 5# of pods in late November!!! Bam!!!!!!

QpCN04F.jpg

This one is my little bucket o'hell....all Primo Crosses and Douglah's  :flamethrower:

Really excited I also had a nice pull of Fataliis! I stripped the plant a few months back to fill two big powder orders...Still many more out there, and I didn't even pull any Birgits or wilds...fingers crossed that after my Thanksgiving trip to Tx I will come back to another 4 or 5 gallon pull...then DONE!!!!! 

Take care everyone, will be on sporadically at best for the next few weeks...well not at all next week. No internet at my folks house. and spotty cell service.

Shane

wow you werent kidding about still pumping out pods!!... good work shane.. good work.. btw lost track of Shawns plants that you had.. how are those.. mine are pretty much goners.. 6 went to melissa and are starting to pod up

Fantastic pull there Shane!

I probably pulled 20% of what you did this year and they're everywhere drying, fermenting, canned, frozen, and on the table. Been giving them away left and right too, so my question is what the heck do you do with all of them? LOL

Great seeing this all year!

Enjoy that trip to God's country!

WalkGood said:
Woot SuperPodMon update, plants and pods looking killa mon ... I hear you on the break, hehehe

Hab an incredible hump day mon!
Thanks Ramon! High praise considering the source!!! 

Pinoy83 said:
crazzzzzzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyyy lotttssss offfff poddddsss, thats gonna take you a while to finish em all ..... :fireball: :fireball: :fireball:
Haha...I won't be done processing before I have next years ripe pods rolling in!

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
wow you werent kidding about still pumping out pods!!... good work shane.. good work.. btw lost track of Shawns plants that you had.. how are those.. mine are pretty much goners.. 6 went to melissa and are starting to pod up
Whatup Denniz??? I only kept one of Shawn's plants labeled "M7" Nigel though that meant moruga...but I thought it might mean Madballz 7. First pods are smooth and uninformative, but there's tons on there. I have it here at work and hope to get some pods to shape up true to some form soon. I think I posted some pics a page or two ago, if not I will see if I can get some loaded.

Devv said:
Fantastic pull there Shane!

I probably pulled 20% of what you did this year and they're everywhere drying, fermenting, canned, frozen, and on the table. Been giving them away left and right too, so my question is what the heck do you do with all of them? LOL

Great seeing this all year!

Enjoy that trip to God's country!
Beam me up Scotty!!! I'll be far north of you...but still in the promised land soon enough. I have given away as many as I can, but for some reason folks taste one and throw the rest away! :rofl:  I am trying to talk mama into letting me order some gallon size fermenting jars and an industrial size dehydrator...no luck yet!!! I will have to try to sneak some into her freezer for the short term and maybe I can gain some ground during the holiday period with the extra time off??? One thing is certain...the size of next year's grow depends on how empty I can get the freezer before plant out!

PIC 1 said:
aHa......I always thought there was too much Sun in those in those 60's...Avalon/ Funacello  beach movies.........But.

Shane your gardens proof that the Cali Sun ain't no spoof !...............The Truth........ :D
Yeah man...the plants have been feeling that California Love, California Burning is more to the point!!! Although it may be the Promised Land if I don't get these pods processed mama's gonna have me checking into the Hotel California!!!

Back