• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

... One thing is certain...the size of next year's grow depends on how empty I can get the freezer before plant out! ...
I hear you, I've been thinking of a large cut back myself and I don't have all the freezer space that you have ... Feb & March I'll be traveling, what's left when I return will definitely make da cut, lol.
Yeah man...the plants have been feeling that California Love, California Burning is more to the point!!! Although it may be the Promised Land if I don't get these pods processed mama's gonna have me checking into the Hotel California!!!
lol

WalkGood said:
I hear you, I've been thinking of a large cut back myself and I don't have all the freezer space that you have ... Feb & March I'll be traveling, what's left when I return will definitely make da cut, lol.
lol
Yeah...the extra freezer sounded great last fall!!! Now that it's full of pods to be processed...well I have mixed emotions?!?!?! I am thinking a couple supers, some Numex types and a bunch of wilds...hmmmm.

romy6 said:
 That's the Shane we have come to know and love. Makes us all look like small time growers that we is . Californication here we come  :dance:

You are gonna need to buy a boom truck to harvest that Birgy soon  :fireball:
Thanks brotha, I am no expert, and far from "big time"...I learned some lessons last year and with them and some luck in my pocket I had a really killer year!!! I had several close calls that could have ended it too. Can't wait to see what your birgits looks like this time next year! I will be really lucky if mine survives the winter.

So, many of you have asked about processing and what I do with the leftovers. I took 5 gallons of pods to work and gave away all but about a gallon. I also kept the Big Jims from that harvest and here's what happened to them...
qgMjP81.jpg

Here are the remaining supers getting de-stemmed a couple gnarly Primo Crosses in hand...

wZIhXgK.jpg

Here's those two up a little closer...just because I liked how mean they looked!

65aQ4AS.jpg

Into the smoker...I usually halve the pods I am using for powder to get more smokey flavor, but I was just looking for a subtle hint in the sauce I am making.

lnGhqUi.jpg

Same thing for these Big Jims, these got quartered before they went in, and for all the doubters...here is definitive proof that I am in fact the World's Greatest Dad!!!

bz8GTkb.jpg

While those were getting the smoke treatment these were getting sauced...Big jims and Romy Mysteries that've been fermenting for about 2 months...

j8V5KIY.jpg

Here are the supers going into a half gallon pickle jar to ferment. I saved a couple spoonfuls of the finished ferments that were gonna get sauced as starters for this batch. This sauce is going to be painful...a little of everything in there, a bunch of Primo Crosses and Douglahs...Brains...Infinities...Yellow Brains...a few Chocolate Habs and Scotch Bonnets to mellow it out a bit...but I am betting its still gonna be painful.

KT8NHll.jpg

New ferment on the right and the Big Jim sauce getting it's final puree on the left.

YynY9mo.jpg

Ran out of Woozies...but here are the finished sauces. The Numex with light smoke makes a usable sauce that is freaking delicious! 

All for now...hope you all had a great week!!!
Shane

Right on, Brother!   Nice saucing.

Your recent plant pics look better than some grows in their prime,
my friend - as always, great to see what pod production and use
looks like!

Hope you get a weekend.

Glad to see the sauces working!

Maybe by next season you'll have all those peppers processed :D

great job this season!

Me thinks your Tejas adventure maybe a trek into the cold...this year..

Enjoy the weekend and the holiday!

Aha.........when I first looked at the photo of the flannel shirt/ gloved hand...something reminded me of a scarecrow...that is you right...lol

Seriously, those Primo crosses look real nasty...almost look thick walled, although I know they're not.

I like the color of your sauces, I can see other fleckes of colors which is real cool !

If I don't wander back through the glogs this week...I just want to say have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving !

I need go learn how to ferment. !! But I need someone to make a YT video lol. Step by step. Nice shots Shane. Always a pleasure to read up on your glog and dream that someday I'll have a bumper crop like yours. Nice bottles. !!!

Just poking my head in here to say "awesome job" - what a year Shane. You'll have enough peppers to fill about 100 of those woozies, so good luck!

Thanks everyone! I sure have had a bumper year! I still got some to pull, but Mr. Frosty came for a visit last night and will again tonight...so season (almost) done. A couple pics for good measure!!!

Thanksgiving went well...first time home to Tx in a few years!!! Was real nice to be able to get outside with my family who are getting a little spoiled and lazy out here in Cali!!!
rmdcU2E.jpg

My son and I set up in a pop up ground blind on the backside of our property...kinda tough hunting with no time to scout.

kDm2mST.jpg

...but we did ok!!! Venison in the freezer! Well most of it in my folks freezer, but I did bring home a little of the back-strap.

sndrxlB.jpg

Came back home to a couple amazing care packages from Annie and Paul!!! Some powder and sauces from Annie and some powders and seeds from Paul. I don't get on very often these days, but it doesn't mean I don't love this site and the awesome folks on it!!! Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

Last but not least I got most of the lights up on Sunday after we got home, and with the threat of frost looming....I made sure to decorate my backyard Christmas Tree!!!
CEQp1nP.jpg

She may have lost a few small extremity branches...but I thing the string of lights kept her warm enough! I will drape some cheese cloth over her and the lights are hooked to a thermal outlet that comes on at 35 degrees and doesn't shut off again until it rises above 45...I will add more lights once the house quits using them for decoration...

That's all for now...big harvest waiting, but I may not be able to get to it this weekend...we shall see!

Take care everyone!
Shane

Holy Sheeeee#####t brother!
Well, hell , no sooner do I get here ,...and its time to wet test the subs!
Nice deer, and talk about the tallest plant grow down(up?!!!).....you're gonna need O2 to summit that one!

Have a good one-
DJ

Ahahaha............haha,...........ya got me there.....Now I have to add lights as part of my overwintering process...............who new?

We do have high-intensity aviation lights and taller ladders if you need........... :rofl:

I enjoyed the heck out of this glog ...once again. Never a dull moment, very creative...and your garden harvests ....no words to describe.
But the plant production photos enlightened a lot of folks (new and old to the garden) to get their seeds ordered and in the dirt.

Shane, I'm not sure how you can top this glog...next season, but I wouldn't put it past you....it keeps getting better, like a good ole bottle of Rum !

Safe and enjoyable Holidays for you and your family... 

stc3248 said:
Last but not least I got most of the lights up on Sunday after we got home, and with the threat of frost looming....I made sure to decorate my backyard Christmas Tree!!!
CEQp1nP.jpg

She may have lost a few small extremity branches...but I thing the string of lights kept her warm enough! I will drape some cheese cloth over her and the lights are hooked to a thermal outlet that comes on at 35 degrees and doesn't shut off again until it rises above 45...I will add more lights once the house quits using them for decoration...
I love it!

I've got to try growing this pepper next year.
Nice deer too!

Shane,

Great glog this season for sure, had fun coming here to see and learn. Like the lights on the tree, I hope she makes it! I do think she will.

Glad your son got to take a deer, it great for them to learn how to hunt, process the animal and just have the experience. And not a bad buck at that.

Enjoy the holidays buddy!

Back