• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

Will be happy to follow along, Shane. I have some Reaper seeds and PLENTY of Barrackpore seeds. Hit me up if you want any.

Your grow is going to shape nicely. I'm sure you'll end up with more than 20 varieties, though. ;)

Always like following a glog where I can grow vicariously . Its looking good already. Hope this season is a healthy and happy one for you

This is getting exciting already ! I like the recap from last year and the new light gear for this season.

Shane I'm looking forward to seeing the nifty photos that you'll be shooting in your "pepper patch"

Good luck with the startup...

Greg

Shane, I love the “money shots” from last year, great start! Great luck in 13 and will enjoy following your new glog :)

Good luck with your season Shane! I see my handwriting in that ocean of seed packs. Hopefully something of mine gets the nod. Talk at you next year.

Good to see you off and running, Shane! Been
waiting for you to get it going, brother!

Good luck this season, in case you still need some Barrackpore I can help you with that as well. Only 20 plants, then I'm a lucky man, my wife gave me a 100 plant limit :lol:

List updated above!!!

Will be happy to follow along, Shane. I have some Reaper seeds and PLENTY of Barrackpore seeds. Hit me up if you want any.

Your grow is going to shape nicely. I'm sure you'll end up with more than 20 varieties, though. ;)
Offer accepted!!! Thanks brother! You are right about the varieties thing... :shh:

here we go!
Yes indeed WE do!!!

This is looking great, I'm excited!
Thanks for stopping by ido! I am excited too!

Always like following a glog where I can grow vicariously . Its looking good already. Hope this season is a healthy and happy one for you
Thanks Tripp...I do the same. When in my Barracks room I surf through everyone's grows...Gives me ideas for my weekends home in the garden!

looks good this is one im going to follow..
Thanks Tyler! We shall see how it shapes up!

This is getting exciting already ! I like the recap from last year and the new light gear for this season.

Shane I'm looking forward to seeing the nifty photos that you'll be shooting in your "pepper patch"

Good luck with the startup...

Greg
Greg my brother...wish I could have grown more of what you sent...all looked so incredible! Let me know if you would pull a switcharoo on the few of yours that made the list with any of the others you sent.

Love the seeds that are pepper a crossed with pepper b from user x via user y :lol:
I have several double Via's! I must be special..."I'm good enough, smart enough...and gosh darnit people like me!"

Shane, I love the “money shots” from last year, great start! Great luck in 13 and will enjoy following your new glog :)
Thanks WG! I really liked them too...till I ran out of room! I am going to powder up a couple gallon baggies today!!! Stop by any time my friend! I will be looking for what you got going on...

7Pod
"That would be a hard choice in to want to plant.

Good luck with your 2013 season
:cheers:"

It was and still is...I had it narrowed to about 23 varieties, then I went to put the non-selected seeds away and ended up with 3 more varieties on the list, then when momma got home I tried to show her all the ones I didn't plant and pulled them out again and ended up not putting back about 5 more packets...I better lock the fridge until mid summer!

megamoo
"Will be definitely following along. Good luck :)"

Thanks mega! You da poo moo!

Good luck, I'll be watching.
Thanks for stopping in Jerk! :rofl:

stickman
"Aaaand He's Off! Deffo be checking in Shane... good luck with this year's grow (What's a few days, eh?)"

Thanks Rick...Sorry your gochu's aren't on the list (yet :whistle: ) I may start some late once momma has lost all hope of controlling me!

Pr0digal_son
"Good luck with your season Shane! I see my handwriting in that ocean of seed packs. Hopefully something of mine gets the nod. Talk at you next year."

More than a few from you buddy...The pods you sent were so freaking amazing I could not pass them up! Let me know if I got all the credits right on your stuff and I will adjust as necessary!

PaulG

Good to see you off and running, Shane! Been
waiting for you to get it going, brother!"

Had to wait for my leave to start...and now its here! Will be watching for your start...or did I already miss it? :crazy:

griff87
"I was always amazed by your harvests this past summer. I can't wait to see what you do this year!"

You'll always be the one that started me on the supers my friend! Most of last year's plants were from seeds you sent! Now look...you've created a monster!!! Thanks again for the kickass start last year. Let me know if you need anything my brother!

chsy83
"Follow!"

Thanks!

meatfreak
"Good luck this season, in case you still need some Barrackpore I can help you with that as well. Only 20 plants, then I'm a lucky man, my wife gave me a 100 plant limit :lol:"

I had about 150 total last year...many of which were ornamentals. Very overwhelming with my work schedule. When I retire I plan on a really big grow...5-10k plants. We shall see??? Good luck on your grow! I'll be looking for it!

Justaguy
"Hope your issues from last year are gone. Your light strip looks nice."

I sure hope so...but I am nervous. Will be yanking volunteers as quick as I spot them. I think that light strip will be the shiz if I can keep them from falling out of the power strip???

Working on grow shelves today and seed soaking/starting pics to follow soon! Crazy #'s of visitors I am truly honored and blessed!
Shane

Back