• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

StettoGro '19: In For a Dime

76....In English that would be ALMOST TWICE AS DAMNED MANY AS LAST YEAR.

Ah well, Last year I dwelled on downsizing, this year I must have assumed it would be automatic.

I argued with myself over whether to glog at all this year, other than to carry over noobishness from the last two seasons I don't have that much to offer...But everyone loves to see a Zone 3 die-hard gardener scratch and claw his way through a short season!!

Anyhow, this is how my week started---I was particularly proud of my innovative use of the pill caddy.... :idea:

Soakin seeds.jpg

That was the first "load", almost all black seeds. The next day the yellow seeds went in while the black ones found their nests. The sad thing is the seeds I didn't put in; the Paprika and the Urfa Biber and the Aji Limo and the and the and the...Until that damned greenhouse gets itself magically erected I gotta limit myself.

OK, at least one of each Pubescen is going into fivers or larger containers. So will the best of the Pimenta De Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques and my Sri Lanka Chilli Red competitor and what long season peppers I can. What goes into the 8th acre this year will be treated to a till-less grow, it's at least worth a try. Most of the anuums will be out there.

For what it's worth, here is the current state of my grow....

76 starts.jpg

Pubescens:
CaneDog
Big Apple Red Rocoto--3
Mini Brown Rocoto--3
De Seda Yellow/Orange Rocoto--3
Costa Rica Red Rocoto--3
XL Brown Rocoto--3
Gelbe Riesen Yellow Rocoto--3
Gelbe Riesen Var--3
Arequipa Giant Red Rocoto--3

Greenchilemonster
Giant Yellow Rocoto--3
Turbo Pube--3
Ecuador Red Rocoto---3
Aji Largo Rocoto--3
Large Red Rocoto--1

Chinense:
Greenchilemonster
Aji Arnaucho--2
Papa Dreadie SB--3

PaulG
Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques Violet F6--3
Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques White F6--3

Anuum:
Pepper Guru
Sri Lanka Chilli Red Growdown --2
Sri Lanka Chilli Red Off-Pheno (?)--1

Devv
Jimmy Nardello--3

Moruga Welder
Aleppo--3
Antake--2
Antep Aci Dolma--3

Tradewinds Fruit
Big Jim--6
Sante Fe Grande--2

Costco (yup, seeds from store peppers)
Red Bell (for the Darlin' Bride and her stir-fry)--6

I still have the OWs, Aji Amarillo, Aji Mango, Turbo Pube, Large Red Rocoto, Rocoto Rojo (2), Peruvian Red Rocoto (2) Ecuador Red Rocoto, Large Orange Thai, Aji Oro, Rocoto Arequipena, but I didn't want to brag.

Let the love-hate begin! I'm gonna start it with a Voodoo Ranger....

CaneDog said:
Hey Stetto.  Good to see many of your plants getting it done for you.  I don't know what to say about the Giant Arequipa.  Last year they produced well for me and the pods were great.  This year some production, but not nearly so much. Almost all my rocotos are down or behind this year versus last.  Think maybe our variable weather with alternating cool and heat spikes early season messed them up a bit and they simply didn't set as well as usual.  Having a bear of a time getting isolated sets in particular.  Those Gelbe Riesen though, they should get considerably bigger.  That's a very small pod for that variety - either that or you've got an 11 fret reach on that hand.

Digging the LOT and Aji Amarillo too.  Think you've convinced me to OW my LOT, which is small but pumping out pods, and next season will likely be my first growing Amarillos after seeing how well they're doing in some of the more challenged climates.

The Arequipa you sent me is very lush, green and robust, but has no fruit. It has produced a healthy number of flowers, but none set. It is in a 5 gallon fabric pot.
The Arequipeno that was planted two years ago was barren the first season, then this year went bonkers with the blossoms and has produced a good number of golf ball size pods...I'm expecting them to continue enlarging, even if it is in the house.

The Gelbe Riesen, I'm just happy to have fruit on it, and the pod I displayed is the largest of the dozen or so on the plant. It may get a lot bigger than it is now, but I won't complain if it doesn't. I'm still doctoring a barren Big Apple Red in the house, not even a flower one on it...

The De Seda Yellow has a good number of fruit as well, though I'm confused: I had assumed it was also a giant variety, yet the pods it's producing have the exact pheno and size of my Turbo Pubes.

If you have the space I do endorse an Aji Amarillo OW. This is year 3 for mine and the fruit has gotten larger each season. I've restricted container size for it, but she'll get free range in a 20 gallon fabric next year. I'm expecting a good 7 feet out of her. I am now sworn to fabric containers. I do not have even one plant in fabric that is not way healthy, other than limited pod production in a few. That is likely environmental, wouldn't you agree? Even if you don't OW a pet Amarillo, be sure they go into containers you can take in in the Fall. They take for freeken ever ripening...

And damn skippy, OW your LOTs!

Good to see you're getting results from your so short season there buddy!

You mentioned about same soil same ferts, treatment etc. I had the same thing this season. Seems the yellow pod plants hated what I did to them.

Paul's purple: mine got lighter as they ripened. I left them on until the first ones got a tad soft.

Devv said:
Good to see you're getting results from your so short season there buddy!

You mentioned about same soil same ferts, treatment etc. I had the same thing this season. Seems the yellow pod plants hated what I did to them.

Paul's purple: mine got lighter as they ripened. I left them on until the first ones got a tad soft.

Yeah Scott, for all the whining, wailing and gnashing of teeth I've done this year, the peppers did ok in spite of me...

It's strange how even two of the same plant aren't behaving similarly: I pulled 20+ Rocoto Rojos from one plant yesterday, while it's twin two pots over has just set a large number of pods, and you know how long these girls take getting ready for a date...

Thanks for the info on PaulG Purple. I think I have a couple lightening up.

Mmmm, forgot to add: No frost yet! None forecast either, though I bet that out of the 12 or so computer models these weather guys guess from every day, at least one of those must show a temp dive.

Sep. 1 last year (hard frost), got that beat by over a week already!

We've had some beautiful, late Falls in the past, maybe one or two light frosts before mid-December. I went deer hunting in a blaze orange tank top (first part of Nov.) before. Those Autumns are less frequent by much. This is by no means a great Fall, night temps in the 40s, highs not usually getting to 60. For instance, it's 55 today, yesterday, and likely tomorrow. But "they" are forecasting upwards of 80 on Sunday. Gotta wonder what kind of havoc that can wreak on a defenseless Pubescens, naked and needy on the north deck.... :mope:

stettoman said:
We've had some beautiful, late Falls in the past, maybe one or two light frosts before mid-December. I went deer hunting in a blaze orange tank top (first part of Nov.) before. Those Autumns are less frequent by much. This is by no means a great Fall, night temps in the 40s, highs not usually getting to 60. For instance, it's 55 today, yesterday, and likely tomorrow. But "they" are forecasting upwards of 80 on Sunday. Gotta wonder what kind of havoc that can wreak on a defenseless Pubescens, naked and needy on the north deck.... :mope:

I'd kill for a day with a high of 55.

My days around here have lowered to a 5 at the end. The bad part is the beginning is still a 9. At least now I can come home and work outside; triple digits? I'm an inside type of guy then..

Looking for some 8's in front for sure! And not at night anymore!

Devv said:
My days around here have lowered to a 5 at the end. The bad part is the beginning is still a 9. At least now I can come home and work outside; triple digits? I'm an inside type of guy then..

Looking for some 8's in front for sure! And not at night anymore!

Well if it's any consolation Scott, we're actually having a fluctuation of end digits, but the beginning, for most of this week, is 8. Let's not get into hygrometer stats, we'd be arguing wet & dry heat all day....

Hey, I have a nice crop of LOTs coming in on that OW, I want to smoke them a la Chris Joyners wonderful spice. Any pointers? Never smoked a veggie before, I imagine them difficult to light (ba-dump, TCSHHHH!)...

you must have had a good harvest to capture all those seeds, congrats!

I wish I could help with the smoking, I've never done it. I would imagine something gentle. I'll be watching for the results. Good luck!

Scott, you should see the LO Thai seed pile I've collected!

Ok kiddies, first frost predicted for Sat morning. We got down to 38°F this morning, gonna start bringing them in.

The sacred window sill.
20190926_102747.jpg

L-R: my first EVER ripe Bell, more Thais, a couple P Dreadies, a Peruvian Red Rocoto, a couple more Thais, some Turbo Pubes, another handful of LO Thais.

I have some gorgeous green peppers outside that for all I know will need another month or more to start coloring up, but my P Dreadie is in full let's get yella mode.
20190924_090350.jpg

More on the race with the Dead of Winter to come as events dictate...

Thanks all, for your advice, support, seed and patronage!

Hey Stetto.  FWIW, your turbo pubes on the window sill look a lot like the de seda, tending to be somewhat triangular and lumpy, though that would be at the orange end for them. Sometimes they're more a dull yellow.  My turbo pubes look different than that, more smooth and oblong, like this - https://www.fataliiseeds.net/product/turbo-pube-pi-585267/

Good to see pods rolling in for you - and your dreadie getting busy.  I have two good sized plants loaded up, but they haven't budged on color yet. Only a couple pods from a little container plant.

CaneDog said:
Hey Stetto.  FWIW, your turbo pubes on the window sill look a lot like the de seda, tending to be somewhat triangular and lumpy, though that would be at the orange end for them. Sometimes they're more a dull yellow.  My turbo pubes look different than that, more smooth and oblong, like this - https://www.fataliiseeds.net/product/turbo-pube-pi-585267/

Dog, my de Sedas are still growing, now a third bigger than my Turbos.

As far as your link goes, those pics are right for color, but those pods have no shoulders except the one with a single pod in his hand. That's what my Turbos look like. Last year the same plant gave me about 20 pods, close to half the size I'm getting this year. If she survives the aphids she's going into a 20 gallon fabric tub next season. 

Speaking of Turbos, I found a second one in the banana bag turning this morning. Maybe I'll get them all!

Back