• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

StettoGro 4: Spredner Tin 2020

Welcome to another chapter in the great series of the Stettomans comedic gardening adventures! Come along, follow the antics of a guy makin' it up as he goes, having some luck, some not-so-much, and more than his share of whining about a fleepin' 3 month growing season! No telling what we'll see, Stetto's grows is always full of surprises and absurdities....

I almost named the thread the He should Know Better Grow, but I do and I'm going to go through with it anyway....

No list yet, but I put these Rocoto Amarillo to plug today to get a head start--I've decided to give them a full row in the half of an 8th acre, which I didn't plant at all last season. It was that bad up here...No corn, no beans, no lettuce, NO TUBERS, fercryinoutloud! All my peppers & tomatoes were container grown...

Trying a different route for germinating, at least for the firsters. I'll likely go back to trays with the Anuums and such...

20200227_100047.jpg

By the time I got the cuplettes ready I found I needed to add three more. Dunno if this was a good idear, but I used a pinch of water soluble Mykos to soak the plugs...

20200227_101022.jpg

That's all I got for todays episode, besides the Growdown Fatalii, which is doing quite well and the mystery XL Brown, which is purple and likely akin to PaulG's neat little PdN cross...

If I don't post a grow list of some kind by the end of the weekend, send someone to check on me, yeh?

I appreciate y'alls interest, don't make me regret it....

All looking really good, Stett. Glad the
mower is fixed and the fire is out.

I read about Reimer seeds when I first joined
the forum, so have never ordered from them.
I hope they produce well for you when you
finally plant them. Got the refund yet?

That’s crazy, burning the field [emoji15]. Is that a normal procedure, eh [emoji848]. The farmer who leased the field next to me had last years soybeans left in till about a month ago. He got out there and combined them off. I went out and looked at some of the pods he left on the ground and they looked clean to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulG said:
All looking really good, Stett. Glad the
mower is fixed and the fire is out.

finally plant them. Got the refund yet?

I've started brussels a few days ago, not sure on germ time for those, everything else will be seeded direct sometime this week, if I can find the time..."They" are claiming 80s for highs, mid 60s for lows for the next few days. Seems like it's time...

PtMD989 said:
That’s crazy, burning the field [emoji15]. Is that a normal procedure, eh [emoji848]. The farmer who leased the field next to me had last years soybeans left in till about a month ago. He got out there and combined them off. I went out and looked at some of the pods he left on the ground and they looked clean to me.

No, we haven't seen burning at this magnitude ever. Farmers had a crap season last year, many opted for the insurance. Soybeans are differnt than corn, I guess. All they're burning that I've seen is corn. The guy across the road actually cut corn first about a month ago, but his blades were a good 4 feet off the ground, so he left too much stalk to just disc back in.

Mr.joe said:
That's too bad about Reimer, I've never ordered from them. I have bought a few things from Johnny's and have had no complaints so far.

I've ordered Johnnys too, good experience, so that was a no brainer. 

PaulG said:
finally plant them. Got the refund yet? Actually, the refund was done before the order was shipped. 

It didn't take long, but the Brussels all came up. Can't complain about germination....

Looks like you are getting close, Eric!

Got an itchy trowel hand, yet? We are getting
real close here, as well. Thursday looks like a
rain day, so will start this weekend getting plants
put out where they will be planted to see how
they like the spaces, then will start planting out
little by little as time allows.

PaulG said:
Looks like you are getting close, Eric!

Got an itchy trowel hand, yet? So that's what that's from...and here I thought... :shh: We are getting
real close here, as well. Thursday looks like a
rain day, so will start this weekend getting plants
put out where they will be planted to see how
they like the spaces, then will start planting out
little by little as time allows.

Believe it or not Paul, and for the first time in 9 or 10 years, I'm taking my chances and planting out two weeks early. I got bit pretty bad the last time I did this, but hey, life is short...There is no short or long term forecast for frost, and though I trust little from the meteorological bunch, I was a paint contractor for over 30 years, I think I have enough empty 5's to use for emergency cover, just in case, plus some fabric row cover...

Very few bucket queens this year, even the OWs are going into the ooze. I have the Aji Amarillo in a 20, my mutant Aji Oro, Orange Fatalii, Giant Brown Rocoto, a Big Jim (for seed) and your Peruvian friend's mystery Aji Limo-Marillo all going into 5-ers. I plan no more over-wintering. It was fun, but it was not fun enough.

Luck to you as well. My knees are long past enjoying the plant out like they used to, and my child assistants are grown and gone...

Believe it or not, they say the Covid is making the weather forecasts less accurate.

The computers that predict the weather had become reliant on a massive amount of data streaming in from commercial airline traffic.  There's so few jets in the air, the weather computers are starved for that information.

DontPanic said:
Believe it or not, they say the Covid is making the weather forecasts less accurate.

The computers that predict the weather had become reliant on a massive amount of data streaming in from commercial airline traffic.  There's so few jets in the air, the weather computers are starved for that information.
I thought it was because they used the weather forecasting computers to make the covid19 models that predict infection and death from the disease

Tybo said:

"They" are forecasting 4"-6" here over the next 3 days.  We've already had 2" since last night.  Talk about "ooze"!

yukk

Devv said:
I hope you weather holds bro!

217.jpg

Here's what ya need, in the shade..

Heh, 63 right now and heavy overcast. Our "forecast" for the rest of the week has been, other than for rain, downgraded into the mid 70s...I'll be asking you for your 90s in about 4 months... ;)

DontPanic said:

This I don't find hard to believe at all. Dependence on computers is disgusting to me...then again, the year I grauated HS there was ONE IBM pc in the entire school, and you could here typewriters clickety-clacking up and down the hallways...But somehow the weather forecasting was as good or better then as it is now. Must be a bitch having a dozen or more models from which to guess...

Mr.joe said:
I thought it was because they used the weather forecasting computers to make the covid19 models that predict infection and death from the disease

This wouldn't surprise me either. The way state governments are "adjusting" statistics and projections, you'd figure it was all about that free gub'mint money....

Mr.joe said:
I hope they are more accurate with Covid predictions, than the weather , if not we’re all doomed [emoji16].
Funny thing is our local weather guys all say the European models are more accurate than our own models. [emoji15]

PtMD989 said:
I hope they are more accurate with Covid predictions, than the weather , if not were all doomed [emoji16].
Funny thing is our local weather guys all say the European models are more accurate than our own models. [emoji15]
Well the covid models have been pretty bad, but thankfully the covid hasn't been as bad as predicted so that's a good thing.

Yes you may say that here, Scott, as bluntly as you like. I want one too.

All in but the OWs, which can wait a day.

72 peppers, some no more than cotys, but what the hell...
20200521_141511.jpg

I put in the Tomatillos, tomatoes (Legend, Abe Lincoln and Amish Paste) and broccoli as well, seed sowing yet to come.

There are three full rows of Anaheims, the two here are from a nursery and another two rows over of my Big Jim Legend. Right now these look a LOT better.
20200521_141553.jpg

Wind's been blowing like nutz for three days. I'll drop seed when it effin' calms down. Ever seen a row of carrots that was planted in a gale? That's why...

I haven't planted out this early in forever. Feels wierd and slightly risky. Maybe the start of a great season, yeh?

Back