• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

StettoGro 4: Spredner Tin 2020

Welcome to another chapter in the great series of the Stettomans comedic gardening adventures! Come along, follow the antics of a guy makin' it up as he goes, having some luck, some not-so-much, and more than his share of whining about a fleepin' 3 month growing season! No telling what we'll see, Stetto's grows is always full of surprises and absurdities....

I almost named the thread the He should Know Better Grow, but I do and I'm going to go through with it anyway....

No list yet, but I put these Rocoto Amarillo to plug today to get a head start--I've decided to give them a full row in the half of an 8th acre, which I didn't plant at all last season. It was that bad up here...No corn, no beans, no lettuce, NO TUBERS, fercryinoutloud! All my peppers & tomatoes were container grown...

Trying a different route for germinating, at least for the firsters. I'll likely go back to trays with the Anuums and such...

20200227_100047.jpg

By the time I got the cuplettes ready I found I needed to add three more. Dunno if this was a good idear, but I used a pinch of water soluble Mykos to soak the plugs...

20200227_101022.jpg

That's all I got for todays episode, besides the Growdown Fatalii, which is doing quite well and the mystery XL Brown, which is purple and likely akin to PaulG's neat little PdN cross...

If I don't post a grow list of some kind by the end of the weekend, send someone to check on me, yeh?

I appreciate y'alls interest, don't make me regret it....

+1 Mr. Joe!!!!!

Heated greenhouse.
Happy Wife.
Happy Life.

Doesn't get any better than that!

stettoman said:
I really need to get this place on the market...the Darlin' Bride has agreed to the purchase of "the absolute nicest" heated greenhouse if I move her to CO Springs...she grew up there...

...there's no arguing with the woman, I have acquiesced...
Sounds like a great trade-off, Eric. Colorado Springs
is a beautiful area, and there is a lot to see in CO,
generally. I hope you don't wind up losing your 2020
grow season because things happen so fast. How is
the housing market there?

skullbiker said:
I dont know man. My niece lives there and they get quite a bit of snow. Except for no below zero stuff I dont think you would gain much.

https://www.bestplaces.net/climate/city/colorado/colorado_springs

Ah, but I would! I'd be very close to the chile farms of Pueblo and in a better hardiness zone (5). I used to play in several clubs there in the late 80s, and still have a lot of close friends there, more than I actually have here at "home".  In fact, my lifelong best friend moved there 30 years ago...

The Springs is central to a lot of people and places we like to see, AZ, TX, WY...These people and places are much further away from "home".

The sole reason I talked my family into moving to the land of 3 month growing seasons back in 2002 passed away last June. It hasn't felt like "home" since.

They don't have hot springs here. Mt Prentice is a few short hours from CO Springs.

Yes, yes, there's the greenhouse bribe. I was actually more interested in SE Texas or the Payson AZ areas...but... 

I'd be that much closer to my bugout digs in Wyoming...

The MN DNR has seen fit to ruin every outdoor activity that exists in this state, my boat hasn't seen water in years. Again, WY is just 150 miles north...

And the #1 great reason to move to CO? It would make my wife happy. She deserves that.

So yeah, I can see where some folks might not see the logic of this kind of move, and I'm already well aware of the ridiculous cost of living, the moonbat Kalifornian collectivists running the gub'mint, stupid STUPID STUPID gun laws, and a myriad other arguments against moving there...but again, #1 trumps all...

And that greenhouse would be saw-wheet! 

PaulG said:
+1 Mr. Joe!!!!!

Heated greenhouse.
Happy Wife.
Happy Life.

Doesn't get any better than that!

Sounds like a great trade-off, Eric. Colorado Springs
is a beautiful area, and there is a lot to see in CO,
generally. I hope you don't wind up losing your 2020
grow season because things happen so fast. How is
the housing market there?

Heh, when we moved here from Fountain Hills AZ it took two days to sell the townhouse we owned. We had to pull into truck stops in South Dakota to fax signatures and do legal stuff. It was crazy.

The house we're in had been on and off the market for 10 years when we decided to buy it. Has a great floor plan, the growing dirt is great, and we stood on an offer that was 50,000 less than they asked, and they eventually took it.

It's been a remodel nightmare ever since, but we improved WAY over that $50,000 on the property. I haven't really checked the market, as I have some more work to do before we show it, besides this Wuhan crap is messing with everything fiscal. This decision to move has been long discussed but only recently decided...I don't think this growing season is in jeopardy, but next year?

Oh, and we have three really old pets, a maine-coon mouser and two geriatric muts, who I don't want to force to do this kind of move. I have a feeling this is both of the dogs' last summer, want to make it as good a one as possible for them.  

Back to this season's show....I did a thing. No, really, I did...it's that thing that everybody advises against but then does it themself...Yep, that thing.

So I got around to ordering garden seed on 5/10, and as I like to do, I ordered from someone I hadn't before--BEFORE looking up reviews from trusted gardeners here at THP (see? That's the thing)...

I ordered from Reimer Seed. Then as an afterthought I looked 'em up here, and I've been nervous about the purchase since.

Well, they were delivered here today (whew #1). They were sent in a non-padded Priority envelope, which wasn't too badly mangled. Obviously I can't vouch for germ rates yet, so that's for a future update.

Yes, they were overpriced. Yes, they gouged on shipping. Yes, I fell for the "expedited order" gag. But here's what REALLY chapped my ass:
20200514_160451.jpg

Not one word when I ordered. No alert email. No kiss my ass. I HATE when a business refuses to simply communicate.

I went to Johnny Seeds to pick up Reimers slack, but DAY-AMM that lack of simple common courtesy (besides losing future business) just grinds me.

Anyhow, the kids are all back outside for the day, temps once again halfway through the 60s...

Now to reinstall that mower deck.....

stettoman said:
Back to this season's show....I did a thing. No, really, I did...it's that thing that everybody advises against but then does it themself...Yep, that thing.

So I got around to ordering garden seed on 5/10, and as I like to do, I ordered from someone I hadn't before--BEFORE looking up reviews from trusted gardeners here at THP (see? That's the thing)...

I ordered from Reimer Seed. Then as an afterthought I looked 'em up here, and I've been nervous about the purchase since.

Well, they were delivered here today (whew #1). They were sent in a non-padded Priority envelope, which wasn't too badly mangled. Obviously I can't vouch for germ rates yet, so that's for a future update.

Yes, they were overpriced. Yes, they gouged on shipping. Yes, I fell for the "expedited order" gag. But here's what REALLY chapped my ass:
20200514_160451.jpg

Not one word when I ordered. No alert email. No kiss my ass. I HATE when a business refuses to simply communicate.

I went to Johnny Seeds to pick up Reimers slack, but DAY-AMM that lack of simple common courtesy (besides losing future business) just grinds me.

Anyhow, the kids are all back outside for the day, temps once again halfway through the 60s...

Now to reinstall that mower deck.....
That's too bad about Reimer, I've never ordered from them. I have bought a few things from Johnny's and have had no complaints so far.

I have read that since China screwed the world, that there has been a run on seeds.

I guess the rest of the world finally caught on that one can grow produce at the house. Or, maybe they have the time now...

I'm half Italian, and that statement "you're dead to me now" is a real thing in my world...LOL

Well, I am overreacting, afterall it was my choice to order from them, and it IS too much to ask that businesses live up to my standards, but still...I've potentially lost a week on bean planting...

A nice gathering of fairly happy campers:
20200515_080050.jpg

Those greenhouse Anaheims sure look nice, don't they...

And yeah, the mowers deck is back on and test driven. Today we mow, with the hope that the belt will endure...

The grossbeaks, orioles, purple yellow and house finches, hummingbirds, barn and tree swallows, pheasants, doves (mourning and eurasian), sandhills, robins, buntings, waxwings and the rest of the a.m. morning noisemaker crew are back, keeping the feeders empty...Feels mighty nice right now...

It isn't just you. I hate when companies can't keep track of their own inventory, websites that make me click on each item just to see if it's in stock is a common complaint of mine. Collecting money then telling you is far worse. Plants look great and looks like you have a good sized lawn too

stettoman said:
Farmers here have been burning lost crops all spring. Last year wasn't crap just for me...Onliest thing, they didn't call or stop by to warn us, damned unneighborly...
It would have been nice if they somehow let 'yall know. Especially since you're like 100 feet from the field.
They quit burning down here years ago. The climate here allows for plant waste to break down more than up North.
I'm figuring the cheapest thing for the farmer to do is the burn. Turning it under would be better, but use nutes the crops need.

Have a better day tomorrow!

Thanks to a lot of great input from Devv the mower was back up and running yesterday, better than it has in a few years. Even the new deck belt remained intact....

So, the fires out, the yard mowed, on to other things...

Do we suffer the unintended mutants? This one I pictured on an earlier page in this thread, then having had bonded cotyledons, has continued it's shenanigans...
20200517_081658.jpg

But it is as healthy as the others, there's activity in the node(s), and I'm curious what this unfortunate Pubescen will produce for fruit.

Back