• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

STEVE954 Grow Log

Hello from south florida. This year's grow started just after thanksgiving when sowed several different strains of scotch bonnet. After many attempts, I finally got my hands on some scotch bonnet seeds from the Jamaican Ministry of Agriculture!
newpicture2013087_zpsf55b19b7.jpg

Scotch Bonnet-MoA
newpicture2013073-Copy2_zps89dfbc81.jpg

Red-Scotch Bonnet-RedFoodarama, Green-Scotch Bonnet-MoA, Black-Scotch Bonnet-Papa Joe's Mkt
newpicture2013077_zps0e3a3a06.jpg

Scotch Bonnet-TFM Tree
newpicture2013075_zps289af11d.jpg

Scotch Bonnet TFM still producing
newpicture2013079_zpsa37b35ec.jpg

Got those TFM seeds today. Man the postman charged you an arm and a leg. Must be the old non-machineable, too stiff excuse. Thanks a lot for sending them though. Can't wait to get them sowed.

Sorry about your critter problem. Hope your plants make a full recovery.

Your TFM pods look amazing! That's what a SB should look like! Good luck! DEATH TO ALL BROADMITES!!!!!

Glad to hear bud. The TFM is an excellent strain of bonnet, anatomically correct in shape. Found by Mark in New Jersey @ Trenton Farmers Market.

Yes, broad mites WILL die if found intruding in our pepper gardens...

Yes. Broad mites are still around. Not nearly as bad, still here none the less.

Either keep hitting them with the h2o2 or just buc up and get the bonide!
... Yes, broad mites WILL die if found intruding in our pepper gardens.
Steve, Not sure if you recall reading my post #285 here (quoted below). I would give the Volck a try, it’s around $6.00. I have double and triple checked and it’s worked very well for me. That said, I will still do the DE once a month cause we’re getting near snail season :/

"While at HD yesterday picking up some supplies, I decided to check out the “Bonide All Seasons Horticultural Spray Oil” which you recommended in Steve’s glog here (link for others that have not read and to give credit where credit is due). Unfortunately it was only available in a self mixing bottle that connects to your garden hose for around $14.00 and I prefer to mix and use in my sprayer. So I checked out the active ingredients and found another product with the same ingredients at half the cost called “Volck oil spray” that you mix by gallon or larger quantities."

I know. I'm horrible with the camera!

2 weeks ago during the "broad mite plague"(claimed 80% of crop) I pruned this MoA SB.

Here is last weeks progress
006_zps0a695363.jpg

Same plant today showing progress.
002_zpsdf7f75d6.jpg
I had some that looked EXACTLY like this last year...turned out to be some of my most BA plants. Not to worry,..they're already making the comeback. Just reading Megamoo's glog...he ordered predatory mites to kill his broad mite problem. I released ladybugs last year, and they helped...just once they started shutting down the aphid/mite population they moved on and I had to get more. Just a couple more thoughts.

I noticed a few peppers look like some I've had over the years. Damaged ones that is. At times I had no clue what the problem was to I'd cut back the nasty looking parts. Some of the mite damaged ones look like mine did. I looked but with old man eyes I guess I missed 'em or looked at the wrong place at the wrong time.

This year I'll use my jewelry loops and a flashlight to check better.

Steve,
I'm glad to see new growth on your cut backs. They'll fill in pretty quick and once they do the plants will be bushier than ever.
Ha..........I like the shot of the seed tray. That reminds me of the Greyhounds at the track.....cool!
Good luck with the seed start, the humidity will get them popping fast.

And they're off! Coming to the top of the stretch, It is Butch T(WalkGood) out in front with 2 more Butch T hooks following right behind! Everything sowed on 2/7/13
003_zpsb84bea6a.jpg

Not yet Jamison, soon bud. I need to get more cell trays and mix!

Thx Dennis. Hope this wave fairs better than the last! A wiseman once said: "broad mites suck!"

I noticed a few peppers look like some I've had over the years. Damaged ones that is. At times I had no clue what the problem was to I'd cut back the nasty looking parts. Some of the mite damaged ones look like mine did. I looked but with old man eyes I guess I missed 'em or looked at the wrong place at the wrong time.

This year I'll use my jewelry loops and a flashlight to check better.

Erin, the mites are impossible to see with our eyes or at least I could not see them, so it’s not your “old man eyes” as you said. I believe I could see the eggs with my eyes but possibly not as they looked different with da glass. I clipped some of my affected leaves and looked at them via a 20 to 30x stamp collectors magnifying glass click here and I could clearly see the dead mites. So the way we initially identified was by noting the affected leaves, made an educated guess, treatment and I started looking at leaves with mag glass … good luck with your grow mon!

Nice to see some n00bs popping ^_^ I bet more will follow, keep da faith brethren ...
Tanks bredren!
Awesome! Glad you got one of them OG Butch T seeds to pop! Had another MoA pop today man! 3/6 now. Too stoked! One is getting grown indoors I decided for seeds.
That's a ButchT ButchT! Thanks for keeping the MoA true!
Glad to see the seeds are poking through. What type of mix are you using ?
When sowing outside with full exposure to the rain, I always use more pinebark to sphagnum with a little perlite, this way the rain doesn't disturb or dislodge the seed/roots.

Somehow I missed this log until today. Had to skim a bit of it, but I'm here now. Will follow, I'm intrigued by all the SB MoA buzz. I've read the other MoA log and watched some of the videos. All very interesting. What is the flavor like?

Back