• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

Hey Rick! Nice going on the germination. Nice to see the sun is shining and the snow is melting... Not cooking anything yet. Still up to our eyeballs in pods. Trying to chop and dice them all... get the seeds out and package those. Going to farm again on Saturday urgh - never though I would say that. lol

Thanks for the Heads-up Shane, Since I have Pubiscens plants now, maybe I'd best toss them now to avoid potential problems later. It's too bad though... the hooks look OK at the moment. Still, better safe than sorry...

Hey Rick! Nice going on the germination. Nice to see the sun is shining and the snow is melting... Not cooking anything yet. Still up to our eyeballs in pods. Trying to chop and dice them all... get the seeds out and package those. Going to farm again on Saturday urgh - never though I would say that. lol
I hear ya Lourens! That seems a long way from here ATM... :) Maybe you could do a quick Yucatan salsa or a curry...

• Love dem fish tacos, yours look great! I try and make as often as possible :)
  • Hats off to Shane and his master wrapping skills that plant looks unscathed \o_
  • Keep up dat great work Rick :)

Maybe you could pot them up and give them to someone that isn't growing any peppers or tomatoes and see how they turn out...would love to know if they grow clean. I personally don't even handle seeds or the pods I froze, or even work in the garden areas from last year without taking a shower, changing clothes and bleaching my hands...

• Love dem fish tacos, yours look great! I try and make as often as possible :)
You bet Ramon! They tasted good too...
  • Hats off to Shane and his master wrapping skills that plant looks unscathed \o_

I'll second that emotion!
  • Keep up dat great work Rick :)

Aw shucks... will do...

Maybe you could pot them up and give them to someone that isn't growing any peppers or tomatoes and see how they turn out...would love to know if they grow clean. I personally don't even handle seeds are the pods I froze, or even work in the garden areas from last year without tak
Sorry Shane... already gone. I'm up-potting the Annuums and need the space under the lights, so they're out in the compost pile now. It seemed best because I'm not going to give someone else a plant I won't grow myself. I appreciate your timely word of caution though.

Red Solo Cups all potted up. Looking good man!!!
Thanks Bodeen
Bummer you're having seedlings that find it difficult to push out roots in the Rapid Rooters... I hope you can save all or most of them.

That is so awesome that Shane sent you a Rocoto! Now you have one for certain.

Fish tacos are one of my favorite foods of all time. Yours look great!
Thanks Doc
I want to do better in the next TD I enter, so I need to work on my photography skills. Cheers All

Got up this morning and spotted another Ochsenhorn pepper hook. :)

The first round of Annuums are pretty much done popping. These are the results...

Gochu Peppers 11/14
Hungarian Tomato Pepper "Greygo" 3/3
Hungarian Sweet Paprika 2/3
Almapaprika 3/3
Marconi Rosso 2/3
Ochsenhorn 2/3
Kapia F1 "Belcanto" 3/3
Kurtovska Kapia 15/15
Urfa Biber 4/6
Holy Mole Hybrid 2/3
Mulato Isleno 1/3
Chimayo 2/2
Numex 6-4 Anaheim 1/3
Chilhuacle Negro 2/3
Serrano Tampiqueno 2/3
Jalapeno Zapotec 2/3
Jalapeno Mucho Nacho 2/3
Peruvian Purple 2/3
Chinese 5-Color 2/3

Other varieties...
Aji Panca 2/3
Aji Omnicolor 2/3
Aji Criolla Sella 2/2
Jamaican Hot Chocolate 2/2
Maya Red Habanero 2/2
Magnum Orange Habanero 2/2
Yellow 7 2/2
Douglah 2/2
Red Rocoto 1/5
Shane's Orange Manzano 1/1

We have a pretty cool neighborhood market here that carries some pretty nonstandard items due to customer demand. They smoke their own fish, sell dried corn husks and Masa Harina for making Tamales, and dried superhots year-round. Yesterday I found these for a dollar...
SANY0468_zps96dbe761.jpg

They went right in the freezer for the times you want to kick it up a notch in the kitchen. The next time my wife heads out for a singing convention I'm thinking Vindaloo...

More like a vinda-holy-crap-thats-hot-a-loo!
:rofl: So, you think just one pepper will be enough?... :mouthonfire:

Love Vindaloo, it is probably my favorite Indian dish. Those Bhuts are going to make it da kine!
It's one of mine... I love curries, and haven't found one I didn't like yet... so long as it was prepared well. I love the combination of Lamb or Goat with the garlic, wine vinegar and lots of chiles with rice, Chutney and a cooling cucumber/yogurt raita on the side. A nice Hefeweizen or Lambic to wash it down with doesn't hurt either... :beer:

Vindaloo is fantastic. I find that you can turn up the heat level to "insane" for most Indian dishes. Some food just lends itself to that type of treatment.
You bet! Sometimes I even leave the peppers out of it entirely because I just love the taste of the spices. I got a recipe for Goan curried Prawns from Indian actress Madhur Jaffrey that's like that.

Hey Rick

I'm gonna go back and start at the beginning of your glog but, for now: I know you make your own kimchee. And, I see that you grow some not-so-hot paprika-type peppers and some Korean peppers that you mentioned at another glog that weren't so hot. Do you buy your "Korean" pepper flakes for your kimchee or, do you use the peppers you grow? If it's your peppers, would you mind telling us which ones you use?

I read several descriptions of foods that you prepare. They all sound fabulous! You are quite the cook!

I have hunted and fished this paradise of an estuary here all of my life. It wasn't until hurricane Katrina filled my house with 12-14 feet of slop that I even heard of fish tacos! Some young men, drywall installers, from Alaska came down after the storm. We took them fishing and, they fixed tacos with the speckled trout, and redfish we caught. And our favorite was the tacos they made with the flounder we gigged. It blew me away how delicious it was. Never thought anyone from the "Far North" could show an old Cajun a new way to prepare fish!

Prior to that I considered Shreveport the "Far North".

I know what you mean Dude...I didn't try fish tacos until the military moved me to Cali. Now its a family favorite! You found a good glog to follow right here!

Hey Rick

I'm gonna go back and start at the beginning of your glog but, for now: I know you make your own kimchee. And, I see that you grow some not-so-hot paprika-type peppers and some Korean peppers that you mentioned at another glog that weren't so hot. Do you buy your "Korean" pepper flakes for your kimchee or, do you use the peppers you grow? If it's your peppers, would you mind telling us which ones you use?

I read several descriptions of foods that you prepare. They all sound fabulous! You are quite the cook!

I have hunted and fished this paradise of an estuary here all of my life. It wasn't until hurricane Katrina filled my house with 12-14 feet of slop that I even heard of fish tacos! Some young men, drywall installers, from Alaska came down after the storm. We took them fishing and, they fixed tacos with the speckled trout, and redfish we caught. And our favorite was the tacos they made with the flounder we gigged. It blew me away how delicious it was. Never thought anyone from the "Far North" could show an old Cajun a new way to prepare fish!

Prior to that I considered Shreveport the "Far North".
Hi Ray, welcome to the zoo! Glad to make the acquaintance of another foodie... I've loved Korean food since my uncle came home from a tour with the 8th army married to a Korean woman who was a great cook. The marriage only lasted a few years, but I was hooked on the food! I started growing chiles because it was getting harder to find the gochugaru from Korea... the Asian markets in my area were carrying Chinese pepper powder instead, and the taste and smell weren't the same, so yes.. I grow my own Korean chiles. The easiest to find were the varieties called "Korea Winner and Kim Chi. You can find seeds for those at Peppergal.com or a California seed company called Evergreen Seeds. http://www.evergreenseeds.com/hotpephybkor.html http://www.evergreenseeds.com/hotpehyki.html Evergreen Seeds is a reputable company that I've done business with for about 4 years now. When buying gochugaru, check the country of origin. It should say ROK (Republic of Korea), not Peoples Republic of China.

I went to Shreveport years ago to hang out with a buddy stationed at Barksdale AFB... the things I remember most about it were Cotton fields and Mudbugs. ;)

I know what you mean Dude...I didn't try fish tacos until the military moved me to Cali. Now its a family favorite! You found a good glog to follow right here!
Thanks for the vote of confidence Shane... Wish I could be more eloquent, but the bed's calling and I have to work tomorrow...

I'm familiar with Evergreen Seeds. I've bought eggplant, malabar spinach, bitter melon, edible amaranth, cucumber and many other seeds from them. Yes, I agree, very good folks to deal with.

Went there and found them both.

The first batch of kimchee I made was with Thai hot pepper flakes only. Lit me up Brother! Plus, it tasted like caca. Now, I add Thai pepper flakes to kick it up a notch and have to add alot. Seems that my tolerance to the heat is rapidly increasing.

Dude, I've been on some "food" sites where folks were trying desperately to figure out what peppers would produce that flavor. Is that the only two it takes to produce that real kimchee flavor? I hope I can find the sites so I can share the info with them. No objections right?

Thanks for steering me in the right direction for these peppers Rick.

:rofl: So, you think just one pepper will be enough?... :mouthonfire:

One of my mates has a spice business. He told me that Vindaloo is actually Spanish not Colonial Indian like most people reckon. Never really checked this out. Sounds very contravercial... but the I would not put it past the brits to steal from the spanish... or vice versa lol

I'm familiar with Evergreen Seeds. I've bought eggplant, malabar spinach, bitter melon, edible amaranth, cucumber and many other seeds from them. Yes, I agree, very good folks to deal with.

Went there and found them both.

The first batch of kimchee I made was with Thai hot pepper flakes only. Lit me up Brother! Plus, it tasted like caca. Now, I add Thai pepper flakes to kick it up a notch and have to add alot. Seems that my tolerance to the heat is rapidly increasing.

Dude, I've been on some "food" sites where folks were trying desperately to figure out what peppers would produce that flavor. Is that the only two it takes to produce that real kimchee flavor? I hope I can find the sites so I can share the info with them. No objections right?

Thanks for steering me in the right direction for these peppers Rick.
Go to it Ray! Why would I mind? The chiles the Koreans use for gochugaru are Cayenne-types with aromatic characteristics like Paprika. They sun-dry them so they have a sweeter, brighter flavor and color than the oven-dried chiles sold by most Chinese purveyors. Oven-drying is much quicker and gives the chiles a darker color and deeper, toasted flavor, but less of the chile essence, since the more volatile fractions evaporate off in the oven. I get good results with a dehydrator set at a very low temperature, but sun-dried is best for the most authentic flavor.

Last year I grew a number of Korean pepper varieties I got from a fellow I "met" online that lives in Korea. He got the seeds from the Asia Seed Co. Ltd. in Seoul. I wanted to organize a seed order from them this year, but life got in the way. If you check them out and arrange an order with them, would you consider letting me send you a money order and ordering some seeds for me? the website is here... http://asiaseed.en.e...509_581511.html

Good luck with your grow this year!

One of my mates has a spice business. He told me that Vindaloo is actually Spanish not Colonial Indian like most people reckon. Never really checked this out. Sounds very contravercial... but the I would not put it past the brits to steal from the spanish... or vice versa lol

Actually, it's Portuguese... Vindaloo is an Indian domestic trying to say "Vinho de alhos". The Portuguese make a marinade for Pork out of wine vinegar, water, black pepper, paprika, garlic, cumin and potatoes, and let it marinate in the 'fridge for at least 12 hours, and up to 3 days before sauteeing. Vindaloo is rather "busier" than that... It comes from the island of Goa, which was a trade entrepot of the Portuguese for many years, and it's made from the locally available meat... like Lamb and Goat. Here in the west we use Pork and Beef as well.

Back