• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

Sawyer said:
That's getting on up there.  It may have gotten that here once this summer.

Edit: hot, gotten that hot
I take your meaning Buzz, but I'm surprised you say you only may have gotten weather that hot this summer as far south as you are, or are you having a wry chuckle?

MGOLD86 said:
You are certifiably crazy.  You put a Romy Douglah on your food???  Stronger man than I....
That's funny bro'... I was thinking the same thing about the folks who eat a whole super pod without something to accompany it... ;)

One thing I will say about this heat... it's sure prodded the chiles to ripen up faster!

Almapaprika
SANY0063_zps6dc7f048.jpg

Hungarian Sweet Paprika (coloring pepper)
SANY0064_zps322b5ad0.jpg

Serrano Tampiqueno
SANY0066_zps7dda50fb.jpg

The Fish pepper is catching my eye more and more. Next year I'll definitely plant it in the raised flower garden in front.
SANY0065_zps11cf00ca.jpg

Have a great weekend all!

Great stuff Rick! Love the Jerk Chicken! Mmmmm....anything with Jerk has my name all over it, wait what? Haha...I've been watching that heat wave over there. Crazy...winter holds on longer than she should then summer sets records, all while the Southeast is getting record rainfall. In spite of all those hurdles...peppers are thriving at Ricks place! I just may have to Jerk something now...wait what??? :rofl:

stc3248 said:
Great stuff Rick! Love the Jerk Chicken! Mmmmm....anything with Jerk has my name all over it, wait what? Haha...I've been watching that heat wave over there. Crazy...winter holds on longer than she should then summer sets records, all while the Southeast is getting record rainfall. In spite of all those hurdles...peppers are thriving at Ricks place! I just may have to Jerk something now...wait what??? :rofl:
Thanks for the good vibe Shane!
It must be something in the water... Matt was saying something similar... ;)

Yeah...I started to reference Matt's Rub and your Jerk in that post...but deleted it. Little too R rated for this early/sobriety level. Andy reads this stuff...and that dude has the big man's ear!  :pray:

GnomeGrown said:
Nice looking plants and pods, Stickman.

Have a great weekend.

:beer:
Thanks Gnome... that's the plan for later, sure enough. A little BioBloom and molasses for the chiles, and a cold Hefeweizen for yours truly!   Cheers!

Rick,
If you haven't tried the flav of the Fish pepper before give them a shot while fresh, green and red the taste tends to change. I also sun dry the red pods as the skin thins out pretty fast. You would find use in the dried pepper flakes in some of your "wok" favorites...

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Digging the fish pepper, the east coast is HOT in more ways than 1!
d@$#... You got that right bro'! I've gotta roll along to work right now, and I ain't looking forward to it!
PIC 1 said:
Rick,
If you haven't tried the flav of the Fish pepper before give them a shot while fresh, green and red the taste tends to change. I also sun dry the red pods as the skin thins out pretty fast. You would find use in the dried pepper flakes in some of your "wok" favorites...
I didn't know that Greg... thanks for the heads-up.

Yeah... I was planning on drying the Fish pepper pods for flakes after I saved the seeds. Nice to know they go well with Asian foods too. We don't have any Crab boils here since we're too far north for good Blue Crabs. Mostly we just have big Horseshoe Crabs and the little Green Crabs that make such good Tautog bait. Never tried spicy Lobster before... maybe that's the new frontier... I bet Shane's Manzano powder would be a great accompaniment.

Nice looking fish pepper. I planted some in my flower box and told the wife they will look even nicer than the 5 color Chinese marbles I planted last year and mine do not have variegated leaves yet. nice job on all your plants. My hops reached 6 feet.

Thanks for the good vibe Jeff! Yeah, it's kinda hit or miss with the variegation on the Fish peppers... mine didn't show any until it warmed up and the plant got bigger than 6 inches tall, so first impressions don't mean much either.

Good job on the Hops vine... 6 feet in the first year is very good! Just remember to give it a bucketful of compost every spring, minimum, until it gets established...and if you want to give it a bit of Nitrogen boost, a couple of pounds of Alfalfa or soybean meal at the same time should do the trick.

Hi folks!
   Things finally cooled off overnight, though we didn't get any of the rain predicted. I took advantage of the cool temps this morning to get most of my weeding done in the veggie garden and watered everything well. I see some new varieties podding up now...

Guajillo
SANY0067_zps668e546e.jpg

And Big Jim Anaheim. Funny looking pod... it looks like the lobes on the pod split on the end after a bit and grew separately...
SANY0068_zps1c6ee587.jpg

The Habaneros on either side of the in-ground Yellow 7 were crowding it, so I pinched them back a bit to give it room to expand upwards into. Here's your full-plant shot Greg. It's 3 feet tall by 3 and a half feet wide.
SANY0069_zpsc4a723f0.jpg

Hope you all are having a great weekend!

Stefan_W said:
Yup, those yellow 7s keep expanding and expanding. Everything is looking good!

WalkGood said:
Sounds like there will be 100 + by the time you start picking, awesome job mon!

georgej said:
trying not to get too jealous ;) ah well, gives me something to aspire to! 

that fish pepper is pretty cool! looks like ornamental ivy with the mottled leaves.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the good vibe!

Don't get too jealous G... now that you have plants in-ground, I'm sure they'll take off in a similar fashion. Did I see black plastic film on the ground in your MIL's allotment? If so, that should help the chiles grow quickly.

Not too much new this morning... Just a small pull. Now that it's cooled off a bit, I want to plant the seeds for some Napa Cabbage later today so they'll be ready by early autumn and kimchi-making time...
SANY0070_zps556b9c3c.jpg

Clockwise from the top left... Gochu, Not Mucho Nacho, Hungarian Sweet Paprika, Criolla Sella, Ochsenhorn, Serrano Tampiqueno and Omnicolor.

Have a good week all!

Back