• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

PeriPeri said:
Hehe... magnificent yeaha! That looks like a fantastic pull buddy!

Can't wait for the taste test :D
Devv said:
Woot, Woot, Woot! on the pull!

It keeps getting better Scott... I pulled my first ripe Lotah Bih pod after work tonight...
SANY0266_zps5006025d.jpg

The skin was kinda tough and the flavor wasn't all that pleasant, but it sure packed a punch! Maybe that's a trait of many Fruts... it takes aging to make them taste more pleasant.

I made my first batch of hot sauce this season with my first MoA pods, mangoes, chayote squash, ginger, white onion, thyme and carrots...
SANY0265_zpsce87e32b.jpg

What there wasn't room for in the pic was cider vinegar, peppercorns and allspice berries. Sauteed the onions in a little olive oil
SANY0267_zpsbf6b2430.jpg

chopped up the rest (minus the Bonnets) and stirred it in to simmer until soft.
SANY0268_zps026d68fe.jpg

Then stirred in the chopped bonnets and some sugar. Simmered until the peppers were softened and the sugar was completely dissolved,
SANY0269_zps9a0a9d6e.jpg

Ran the mash through the blender until well-pureed, strained through a fine wire-mesh strainer and added enough boiled and cooled water to give it the consistency I was looking for... thick enough to stay in suspension but thin enough to pour easily. Filled one of my kitchen squirt bottles with the sauce and froze the rest.
SANY0270_zps6fd16244.jpg

Definitely not a melt-your-face type of hot sauce, but lots of tropical flavor with the bonnet-mango-ginger-allspice combination.

Great-looking sauce, Rick.  Did you seed the peppers before adding them to the mix?  I've been trying to figure out a way to seed large numbers of pods.

I'll gladly trade you today some warmer temperatures for some of your rain.

Sawyer said:
Great-looking sauce, Rick.  Did you seed the peppers before adding them to the mix?  I've been trying to figure out a way to seed large numbers of pods.

I'll gladly trade you today some warmer temperatures for some of your rain.

No John, I don't bother seeding the peppers before adding them to the mash unless I want to save the seeds to plant. I remove them from the sauce by running through a food mill or fine wire-mesh screen, depending on how much I have to process at the time. I am saving MoA seeds to plant next year though! :)

randyp said:
    That sauce looks great Rick.Lots of flavors in it. That squash with carrots make a great binder,and good taste. ;)

You bet Randy! Ramon (WalkGood) put me onto the combination last year with his "Tres Alarmas" sauce. I followed his recipe using my Orange Habaneros in it, and it was the best sauce I've made with them to date.

I'm just starting to see the first hints of color on the BOC pods... not much today, but maybe by tomorrow it'll show up more.
SANY0271_zps9e412620.jpg

I hope Stefan's wrong, and it doesn't take the Pimenta Lisa pods until October to ripen... that may be pushing it a little here in New England, but they're getting to be fat little things for sure...
SANY0272_zps5fc4e804.jpg

Not much of a pull today, but I did get a few ripe Guwahati Bhuts and Ajis.
SANY0274_zpsed57e698.jpg

SANY0275_zps622685f9.jpg

Have a great "hump day!"

By the looks of it they are the correct phenotype. At least the phenotype I had in mind for this variety. You can see they are changing in color, getting more green on the pods, that will become yellow and eventually white. Not gonna take till October but more like third week of September would be my guess. Happy to see your BOC's are blushing, hope the rest will follow soon :D That sauce looks very good! Might give it a try again this season as I didn't had much success previous years.

romy6 said:
 Awesome update Rick . Those Pimenta's are slow to ripen . At the almost cream  stage your about 3 weeks out from orange . Or at-least mine were and are .  ;)

meatfreak said:
By the looks of it they are the correct phenotype. At least the phenotype I had in mind for this variety. You can see they are changing in color, getting more green on the pods, that will become yellow and eventually white. Not gonna take till October but more like third week of September would be my guess. Happy to see your BOC's are blushing, hope the rest will follow soon :D That sauce looks very good! Might give it a try again this season as I didn't had much success previous years.

Thanks for the heads-up guys! I'll be looking for the PL pods to ripen up in another 3-1/2 weeks if not before.

Sauces aren't really hard to make Stefan, you should give it a whirl! :)

Devv said:
Love the sauce Rick! Should be a winner!

I had some of it on shredded chicken tacos today, and it was loaded with fruity tropical flavor. :)

There's a little more color on the BOC pod tonight
SANY0278_zpsfd783f68.jpg

and I picked my first ripe Butch T. pods tonight after work.
SANY0276_zps593b6cfa.jpg

Spent a couple hours after work with JD, the head cook at the Brass Buckle knocking back a few Shiners and showing him how to make 2 kinds of Kimchi... Kakduki with Korean Radishes and P'aechu Kimchi with whole Napa Cabbages.
SANY0279_zps626ab390.jpg

G'night all!

Missed some great things the past couple days. Congrats on the ripening Rick. Nice looking pods. Thanks for another fine recipe. Sauce looks great. I've had Kimchi once at a Korean place. Didn't care for the one I had. They had different flavors. I'll try some more the next time I'm in San Diego.

Have a great day. It's almost Friday!

OCD Chilehead said:
Missed some great things the past couple days. Congrats on the ripening Rick. Nice looking pods. Thanks for another fine recipe. Sauce looks great. I've had Kimchi once at a Korean place. Didn't care for the one I had. They had different flavors. I'll try some more the next time I'm in San Diego.

Have a great day. It's almost Friday!

Thanks for the good vibe Chuck. :)  Fermented foods aren't for everybody, but I love them... from New York half sour pickles to sauerkraut to kimchi it's all good... as long as it hasn't been sitting over long and it's too sour to be pleasant. I love seafood too, and South Korean kimchi usually has a bit in the mix... either 새우젓 (literally pickled shrimp), 멸치젓 (pickled anchovy), freshly shucked oysters or a combination.

PeriPeri said:
Nice one Rick... almost there... looks like a smaller pod, but keen to see what you think flavourwise :)

I think tomorrow Lourens... Sunday on the outside. :drooling:

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Looking awesome up in here Rick! Sauce looks fantastic!!!

Thanks Chris! I have 2 ripe Thai Orange pods in the freezer, but I'll need at least one more to make a batch of Thai yellow curry paste. I have enough of the ripe Red Demon pods to make Thai red curry paste this weekend, then I'll freeze it for the winter. If there's any interest, I'll post the recipes with pics of the process.

TGIF all... have a great start to the weekend!

stickman said:

Thanks for the good vibe Chuck. :)  Fermented foods aren't for everybody, but I love them... from New York half sour pickles to sauerkraut to kimchi it's all good... as long as it hasn't been sitting over long and it's too sour to be pleasant. I love seafood too, and South Korean kimchi usually has a bit in the mix... either 새우젓 (literally pickled shrimp), 멸치젓 (pickled anchovy), freshly shucked oysters or a combination.

I think tomorrow Lourens... Sunday on the outside. :drooling:

Thanks Chris! I have 2 ripe Thai Orange pods in the freezer, but I'll need at least one more to make a batch of Thai yellow curry paste. I have enough of the ripe Red Demon pods to make Thai red curry paste this weekend, then I'll freeze it for the winter. If there's any interest, I'll post the recipes with pics of the process.

TGIF all... have a great start to the weekend!
Sure post the recipes, if you need Thai pods let me know!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Sure post the recipes, if you need Thai pods let me know!

I've got enough Chris, but thanks for offering. :)  I'll start with the recipe for Thai green curry paste

1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp cumin seeds
2 tsp shrimp paste
12 fresh green Thai chiles, chopped
2 shallots, chopped
6 garlic cloves, chopped
a 1 inch piece of fresh galangal, chopped
2 lemon grass stalks (white part only), chopped
6 kaffir lime leaves, chopped
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro root
grated rind of a lime
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tsp kosher salt

Toast the coriander and cumin seeds in a dry frying pan, stirring constantly, 2-3 minutes until browned. Remove from heat, cool and grind to a powder. Wrap the shrimp paste in a piece of foil and broil or dry-fry in a skillet for 2-3 minutes, turning once or twice. Put the ground spices, shrimp paste and chiles in a food processor or blender and process until finely chopped. Add remaining ingredients and process again into a smooth paste, scraping down the sides as necessary.

The paste will keep in a tightly capped container in the refrigerator for a month, or sealed and frozen for 6 months to a year.

Back