• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

chilli whisperer said:
Sounds good! :) gonna try that one soon!

If you do J, here's a recipe you can make with it. http://www.thaitable.com/thai/recipe/green-curry-with-chicken

Cheers!

romy6 said:
Lots of tasty food and sauces and chili overload .My kinda glog ! What are you gonna do with all those naga's  ;)

Have  a great labor day weekend  friend .  :dance:

I think it'll depend on what they taste like Jamie. ;)   I picked the first ripe Naga pod when I got home from work tonight... I'll sample it when I have supper done and get back to you... :shh:
SANY7310_zps62cb8f53.jpg

Devv said:
I always appreciate your recipe posts!

I bet 'yall go months without ever eating the same dish.

Thanks Scott... I try like #%&* anyway... ;)

I cut into the Naga King pod while I was cooking supper...
SANY7311_zps2e7d22b8.jpg

after saving the seeds, I cut a slice from one half to sample...
SANY7314_zpsda50a9b7.jpg

I got 25 seeds from this pod... flesh was thin and crisp... not dripping with oils but the placenta went all the way to the tip of the pod.  Aroma was that typical sweet, floral, off-citrus smell I associate with Bhut varieties, but a deeper note than usual... say orange rather than lemon. Flavor was a bit on the mild side at first, followed by a wash of bitterness about 7 seconds later, but that passed quickly leaving behind spicy, fruity sweetness. The burn was a creeper... it took about 2 minutes to build on my tongue before spreading to the back of the throat for a few minutes, building in intensity all the while. Lots of saliva and a few sniffles at 6 minutes when it left the throat and moved to the lips. It kind of plateaued there until the 20 minute mark and gradually faded until I hit the half-hour mark, but it did the curious thing of occasionally flaring up on my tongue or lips for another 20 minutes at random intervals.

Overall, I'd say good flavor and a darned good burn, and you'd best be in it for the long haul.. I love the variety Lourens, and will be using all of its pods in my powder blend this year. Cheers all!

Happy Labour Day Rick! Glad you liked the Naga King. I think the one you tried was one of the smaller pods... they can get quite big. Glad you noticed the orange flavour on these. And the lingering burn... can't wait to get more in stock this season :)

Thanks guys! This weekend is really busy...Saturday, I dropped 11 hundred bucks getting repairs made to my 15-year-old Toyota pickup so it would pass inspection, and I still have to replace the spark plugs, spark plug wires, and polish up the headlight lenses. Yesterday was spent cleaning up the house for a shaped-note sing my wife hosted and driving out to my Mom's to do chores and visit a while. Today I have to put some chicken into a Jerk marinade to grill for supper, can up 7 gallons of tomato sauce and make pesto from our basil to freeze for the winter. Not much time to relax this time of year...

stickman said:
Thanks guys! This weekend is really busy...Saturday, I dropped 11 hundred bucks getting repairs made to my 15-year-old Toyota pickup so it would pass inspection, and I still have to replace the spark plugs, spark plug wires, and polish up the headlight lenses. Yesterday was spent cleaning up the house for a shaped-note sing my wife hosted and driving out to my Mom's to do chores and visit a while. Today I have to put some chicken into a Jerk marinade to grill for supper, can up 7 gallons of tomato sauce and make pesto from our basil to freeze for the winter. Not much time to relax this time of year...
Hectic buddy... hope you get some well deserved rest ;) But only once you have uploaded more pics :rofl:

You know Rick, I run my vehicles for a long time too, and of course hate to spend any money on them ;) But when I do I try and treat it like a payment, and thankfully not many have been made in the last 7 years. Tomorrow my truck gets 4 tires. Still a lot cheaper than the truck notes!

7 gallons, wow!

Don't work too hard!

PeriPeri said:
Hectic buddy... hope you get some well deserved rest ;) But only once you have uploaded more pics :rofl:

Heh... The Nabasco pods are the big story today Lourens. They're starting to ripen up quicker and I'm starting to get handfuls every day or so. I had 3 of 'em in an egg 'n cheese breakfast sammie this morning for my eye-opener, and it was... :fireball:

OCD Chilehead said:
I hear you Rick. This time of year is busy for me as well. Rushing to get things done before Winter.

Have a good day

You said it there Chuck! :)

Devv said:
You know Rick, I run my vehicles for a long time too, and of course hate to spend any money on them ;) But when I do I try and treat it like a payment, and thankfully not many have been made in the last 7 years. Tomorrow my truck gets 4 tires. Still a lot cheaper than the truck notes!

7 gallons, wow!

Don't work too hard!

Yeah... I had them give me their estimate for the cost of repairs and went shopping for used cars/trucks locally... A 7-year-old Toyota sedan was $10k. A 4-year-old Honda sedan was $16k, and a 3-year-old Prius was $21k. Pickup trucks of any age started at $21k... so we decided it was a better deal to fix the one I had than buy a new vehicle.

I'll try not to work too hard... :P  Got the chicken in the fridge marinating...
SANY7315_zpsd6cd9815.jpg

Pulled my first full-sized Yellow 7-pot today
IMAG0002_zps82a6a326.jpg

Now that the water's boiling, it's time to start scalding tomatoes...

Toyota does make a nice machine. Well built and as mentioned, they last forever. Really, nowadays, vehicles are sooo much better built than 30 years ago. I sold my 90 K1500 after 17 years and 265,000 miles. Truck was in perfect condition except for some interior wear and tear. They used to come into the dealership with 500k on them and still ran great.

It's all about taking care of it...

PeriPeri said:
Great news about the Nabsco's buddy! But seriously, here in Africa the Toyota truck is king. Cheap to repair compared to other makes and those Toyotas just go on and on and on... real work horses and great 4x4's... great for our climate and terrain!

Devv said:
Toyota does make a nice machine. Well built and as mentioned, they last forever. Really, nowadays, vehicles are sooo much better built than 30 years ago. I sold my 90 K1500 after 17 years and 265,000 miles. Truck was in perfect condition except for some interior wear and tear. They used to come into the dealership with 500k on them and still ran great.

It's all about taking care of it...

Yup... I've had this truck longer than any other I've owned by far, and it's been banged around quite a bit... There are a lot of people in Holyoke, MA who drive without things like insurance, valid registrations and driver's licenses, and if they get into an accident they always leave the scene. My truck got hit at least 5 times while we lived in Holyoke, and it's still ticking over with cosmetic damage.

I managed to get a fairly good pull while I was waiting for the canning bath water to boil...

Starting from the bottom right...  Chintexle cross, Chimayo's, a ripe Poblano,  Goat's Weed, Tabasco, Aji Limon, Saeng Cho Gochus, a Dedo de Moca and an Orange Thai.
SANY7316_zps5602af80.jpg

I also pulled this mix of Chintexles and Texas Pequins
SANY7317_zps34049ab0.jpg

The afternoon and early evening was spent processing a 5 gal. pail of ripe tomatoes I got from my Mom yesterday.

Scalding the tomatoes before peeling off the skin.
SANY7318_zps6c3567c4.jpg

After removing the stems and skins I added an extra production step... I manually crushed the tomatoes and put them in a colander to drain into a large stainless steel bowl to catch the tomato juice. This reduced the tomato pulp by half before I put it on the stove to soften and reduce. I ended up with 2 gallons of pulp and 3-12 quarts of tomato juice.
SANY7319_zpsc443d7b6.jpg

SANY7320_zps2e85e9b8.jpg

After cooking down both the tomato pulp and and the tomato juice (separately) I ended up with 4 quarts of tomato sauce and a quart of reduced tomato juice. I added salt and red wine vinegar to the tomato sauce and canned it up in my hot water bath canner. The quart of tomato juice I froze to use in making the broth for vegetable soup.

Well... back to work tomorrow... :P

Wow, Rick, you've been busy.  Great review, pulls, and sauce.  Count me in on the maintaining-an-old-vehicle team.  I've got a '94 Sierra and an '05 Envoy, both 4x4, and plan on keeping them both for the foreseeable future.  The Sierra needs valve stem seals, but otherwise, both are in good shape mechanically.

Back