• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

PeriPeri said:
Nice one Rick - nice pull and great looking action in the kitchen there buddy!

Sawyer said:
Wow, Rick, you've been busy.  Great review, pulls, and sauce.  Count me in on the maintaining-an-old-vehicle team.  I've got a '94 Sierra and an '05 Envoy, both 4x4, and plan on keeping them both for the foreseeable future.  The Sierra needs valve stem seals, but otherwise, both are in good shape mechanically.

Cheers guys, and drive on!

After a few cool days and nights we're getting some that are warm and muggy, and the peppers are making good use of them to ripen up some more pods.

Naga King should be ready in a few days
SANY7323_zps7950fb09.jpg

The first BOC pod should be ready tonight or tomorrow
SANY7324_zpsc3edf274.jpg

Guwahati Bhut minus today's pull
SANY7325_zps199ba69a.jpg

Quite a few dead-ripe Butch T. pods here, but I'm leaving them on the plant until after work tomorrow so they look good when I enter them in the Franklin County Fair.
SANY7322_zps595f0fcc.jpg

The same with the MoAs
SANY7328_zps5581bf38.jpg

Chocolate Habaneros are finally starting to ripen up
SANY7331_zps86cc8bb9.jpg

Still waiting on the PL pods Stefan, but if you're right, sometime in the next couple of weeks.
SANY7327_zps18c39275.jpg

SANY7326_zps29ba46cc.jpg

Today's pull... some nice supers and a handful of White Habs... they're good little producers once they start to really kick over.
SANY7321_zpsb45d7490.jpg

Have a great day all!

stickman said:
Quite a few dead-ripe Butch T. pods here, but I'm leaving them on the plant until after work tomorrow so they look good when I enter them in the Franklin County Fair.

Do the judges taste-test veggies at the fair?  Maybe you should put a biohazard placard on your entry.    I was thinking of entering some in the local fair here.  Finally got around to looking up the dates and the fair was last week.  Who has a county fair in August!?

Sawyer said:

Do the judges taste-test veggies at the fair?  Maybe you should put a biohazard placard on your entry.    I was thinking of entering some in the local fair here.  Finally got around to looking up the dates and the fair was last week.  Who has a county fair in August!?

Heh heh... :twisted:  No, I don't think the judges actually taste the fresh produce John... the grade for size, uniformity, ripeness, lack of blemishes and cleanliness. There are a couple of small towns around here that have agricultural fairs the middle to the end of August, but mostly they're around Labor Day.

PeriPeri said:
B-h-u-t-e-e-f-u-l !

Devv said:
Glad to see the color and those pods being picked Rick!

Good job!

Thanks for the good vibe guys! :)

A partial pull for you folks today... I'll get the rest after work. Clockwise from the top left are Saeng Cho Gochus, Lotah Bih Fruts, Aji Lemon, Thai Prik Leuang,  Chintexle, Dedo de Moca,  Chintexle cross, Wild Texas Pequin, Smokemaster's Pequin, Thai Red Demon hybrids, Goat's Weed and Chimayo'
SANY7332_zpseed299bb.jpg

Some closeups of the wilds...

Texas Pequins
SANY7333_zps327437c5.jpg

Chintexle
SANY7335_zps684ba8c8.jpg

and Chintexle cross
SANY7334_zpsd3e394cc.jpg

These are the small Frutascens peppers called Lotah Bih
SANY7336_zps4625802c.jpg

I've gotta get back to work. I'll pick the rest of the peppers to enter into the fair when I get back. Have a great Hump Day all!

OK... back from work and pulled the larger Annuum and Chinense pods. Not a bad haul. :dance:
SANY7337_zps5b92faa6.jpg

I picked out the 5 best of each variety, and after washing and drying them I'll collect my jams and jellies and walk them over to the fair with my entry form. I'm not sure when the judging takes place, but we won't be going over to find out until Saturday.

As if I really needed anything else to do... now I've got to preserve the rest of the pulls. I'll probably make pickled Jal rings, roast the Serranos, freeze some and put the rest into canned Salsa Verde, roast and peel the Anaheims and Poblanos... smoke, dry and grind the Butch T and Douglah pods, make sauce with the MoAs and whip up some Thai Red Curry Paste with the Red Demon pods and freeze it in snack-sized ziplok bags... That should keep me busy for a week or so...

Devv said:
Very nice Rick! Very nice! Glad to see you reaping the rewards.

And good luck at the fair, sounds like fun!

Thanks Scott! Not much competition though... I didn't see anybody else entering any Habaneros, let alone Trinidad Scorpions or Bhuts... and some pretty sorry specimens they were too. We'll see if I manage a sweep in the hot pepper categories...

Speaking of which... I picked my first ripe Bhut Orange Copenhagen pod this morning! :dance: Definitely gonna have to give this one a taste after work today.
SANY7338_zps32b352e6.jpg

Happy Friday Eve all!

Congrats with the First place, Rick. It's hard not to recognize such beautiful pods, great job! Also see you've made some really great harvests :D The PL will need a bit longer I'm afraid :( but you see the purple changing to green, after that the green will turn again until it's almost white. Then it's ripe :) How are the maters going? I had to remove most of mine as a precaution. With these low temps and rain we've been having in August. Have a good weekend!

Thanks for the good vibe guys! Putting my peppers in the Fair was a blast... We've gone to it every year since we moved here, and the hot pepper category always looked kinda sad... small and flabby pods. Hopefully this'll raise the bar... :)

meatfreak said:
Congrats with the First place, Rick. It's hard not to recognize such beautiful pods, great job! Also see you've made some really great harvests :D The PL will need a bit longer I'm afraid :( but you see the purple changing to green, after that the green will turn again until it's almost white. Then it's ripe :) How are the maters going? I had to remove most of mine as a precaution. With these low temps and rain we've been having in August. Have a good weekend!

I hope the PL plants can hang on for a few more weeks Stefan... this weekend is supposed to be warm and muggy, but beginning next week I see overnight lows around 46 degrees (7.8C).

The Tomatoes, Melon and Squash have pretty much had it. We had a late blight start here about 3 weeks ago and it took them all out. I guess that shot of humid warmth was good for the chiles but bad for the tomatoes and cucurbits. I got plenty while they lasted though!

Spicegeist said:
Congrats on the win.  Looks like your Guwahati Bhuts turned out very nice, I think these are one of the hotter bhut types.  Also good to see the Lota Bih, they're like little frutescens versions of bhuts :)

For sure Charles... the only Bhut hotter than the Guwahatis was the King Naga. I sampled one of the Lotah Bih pods last week. I thought they had a tough skin and were a bit bitter, but good heat for sure. I think I'm gonna just take all my Fruts (with the exception of the Peri Peri pods) and make a mash with them and then ferment.

OCD Chilehead said:
Wow! You've been busy. First off congrats on the ribbons. That sounds exciting and fun!

Love the Annuum pulls. Nice pics.

How was the Copenhagen?

Thanks for sharing Rick

The BOC was pretty similar to the King Naga in aroma and flavor, but not as sweet and fruity, and not as hot either. The cool, wet spring and early summer we had here probably made them quite a bit milder than they would normally be, but they're plenty hot for me!
SANY7348_zps4fda0894.jpg

Today's pull was almost all Chinense... I got a few Nabasco pods too.
SANY7351_zps6cc529d9.jpg

... and my first ripe Chocolate Habanero. The only Chinense still unripe is the PL, but I have hope it'll ripen up in the next week or so.
SANY7350_zps316a4d3c.jpg

TGIF all!

Back