• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

Wow Rick. It has been a couple of weeks since I have had time to delve into glogs and as I thought, I had some serious catching up to do in yours. There is so much goodness in the last 4-5 pages that it is amazing. So far it looks like this has been a fantastic year for you. Congrats.

stickman said:
Hi Folks, I just got back from the fair where I see I won in all 7 categories I entered my peppers in, including the best collection of 5 different types of peppers... Pritamin, Guwahati Bhut, Butch T, Douglah and Dedo de Moca.
SANY7344_zpsb67430e4.jpg

Have a great day all!
Congratulations, my friend! You and your peppers deserved it!

Balázs

PIC 1 said:
Congrats on the ribbon Rick.....maybe your presentation will shake things up in the future and give you a challange.

That's what I'm hoping Greg... it's not as much fun unless you have some serious competition. :)

Jeff H said:
Wow Rick. It has been a couple of weeks since I have had time to delve into glogs and as I thought, I had some serious catching up to do in yours. There is so much goodness in the last 4-5 pages that it is amazing. So far it looks like this has been a fantastic year for you. Congrats.

It was pretty good this year Jeff, despite being such a cool and wet spring into summer. In a typical fashion, the Annuums mostly came in all at once. I have enough Serranos, and roasted/peeled Anaheims and Poblanos in the freezer that I decided to bring the overflow to the folks that run the Tex-Mex lunch counter in return for credit there. Well worth it, since the cook is exceptional. After that I took all the Jalapenos and cut them up for crunchy pickled rings using Balazs' recipe. That cleared the decks for dealing with the Chinense pods this weekend.
SANY7352_zpsecb22ad4.jpg

HabaneroHead said:
Congratulations, my friend! You and your peppers deserved it!

Balázs

I'm sure you recognized your Pritamins in the pic Balázs. :)  If I hadn't gotten greedy and made oily pickles out of all the pointed hots, I'd have had some of those entered in the fair too. Unfortunately, they only accepted pickled peppers that were hot-pack canned, so I couldn't enter the Almapaprika either, but I get to eat them both, and that's a win! :drooling:

We've got tickets to see the fair tomorrow, and if the weather's good enough, I'm going to smoke the overflow Douglahs and Butch Ts in preparation for drying and grinding them. Kitchen sink powder is gonna be heavy on the Bhuts and Scorpions this year... :twisted:

Yep, me too.  I was just noticing today I have a bunch of jalapenos that need picking, about 50/50 green/red.  I'm going to use a basic sweet bread & butter recipe, slightly tweaked.

Rick, do you get points and/or cash for the ribbons?  I remember as a preteen, my fair ribbons earned points I could redeem for cash.  It was a looked-forward-to annual boost to my income, to supplement my 25¢, eventually 50¢, weekly allowance.

Jeff H said:

Do tell Rick. I'm about to pickle a bunch of peppers this weekend and I'm always interested in hearing other recipes.

Sure Jeff... pm sent.

Sawyer said:
Yep, me too.  I was just noticing today I have a bunch of jalapenos that need picking, about 50/50 green/red.  I'm going to use a basic sweet bread & butter recipe, slightly tweaked.

Rick, do you get points and/or cash for the ribbons?  I remember as a preteen, my fair ribbons earned points I could redeem for cash.  It was a looked-forward-to annual boost to my income, to supplement my 25¢, eventually 50¢, weekly allowance.

Sounds like a good way to pickle Jals John. :drooling:

There is prize money for winning, as well as the ribbons. When I add up the prize money for the 7 pepper categories and the Jalapeno jelly I entered, it comes to just under $40. I won't quit my day job, but it was a nice bonus. :)

The green plate I posted the pic of earlier was the "Best collection of Peppers" category. Here are the others...

Red Thai
SANY7341_zpsaa9d8562.jpg

Jalapenos (Jalapeno Ciclon via Meatfreak)
SANY7342_zpsd27338d2.jpg

"Chili Peppers" (Numex Improved Espanola Anaheims)
SANY7343_zps2fe07940.jpg

"Green Hot Peppers" (Poblanos)
SANY7340_zps676f8df7.jpg

"Red Hot Peppers" (Serrano Tampiqueno)
SANY7339_zps5572456e.jpg

"Bonnet Novelties" (MoA via WalkGood)
SANY7353_zps5804409c.jpg

It's raining like the Dickens outside right now, so no chance to do any smoking on the grill, but maybe tomorrow. Have a great weekend all!

stickman said:

There is prize money for winning, as well as the ribbons. When I add up the prize money for the 7 pepper categories and the Jalapeno jelly I entered, it comes to just under $40. I won't quit my day job, but it was a nice bonus. :)

Every little bit helps.  That could buy a bale or two of potting mix.

maximumcapsicum said:
Amazing Rick! Well deserved kudos. How's the weather holding up there? You recon you got another pulse or two in your plants?

We're close to done with the Annuums for the season Adam, with the exception for the Cascabels. Those are just starting to ripen up now. Pic later, in a few minutes I've gotta go park cars for a couple hours... we rent spaces in our field next to the community garden during the County Fair to pay for the irrigation line out to the garden. ;)

Sawyer said:

Every little bit helps.  That could buy a bale or two of potting mix.

S'right John, it's a drop in the bucket when it comes to paying for the expense and effort, but at least it'll pay for the beer afterwards... ;)

This afternoon's pull... Takanotsume! All this came from one plant that's only a foot tall, and there's a few more pods left to ripen.
SANY7367_zps13b7cc9a.jpg

Hope everyone's having a great Sunday!

Devv said:
Nice pull Rick!

Plant was a productive one!

ronniedeb said:
Nice Takanotsume harvest!

OCD Chilehead said:
More ribbons! That's fantastic Rick. It's amazing how many pods those Taka's put out. Mine did the same thing last year.

Have a good day

Thanks guys... I was amazed at the output for a plant its size. Moderate heat that's a little less than a red Thai chile, and as georgej observed, it has notes of apple in the aroma and flavor. I'm definitely drying mine to flake up at need for Asian food.

romy6 said:
 Way to go Rick !  I would not expect any less from you and your amazing skills. 

Thanks Brother Jamie! I can't compete with your SoFlo weather, but I do pretty well for New England. ;)

Well, the Supers are all coming in now. :dance:  Here's today's pull...
SANY7370_zps6adc0cb5.jpg

The MoA has just about shot its bolt... about a half dozen pods waiting to ripen up, and then I'll relocate them to a friends place to over-winter. Still lots of pods left on the Douglahs, BOCs, King Nagas and Guwahati Bhuts.

Stefan, the PLs have finally started turning white. I'll give them another week or two to turn orange unless they start to get flabby.
SANY7369_zpsc16a2051.jpg

... and the last Annuum to ripen... the Cascabel. The pods on it look a little on the small side, and somewhat elongated, but that might just be because of growing conditions this year. Lots of pods though...
SANY7371_zps483e49f4.jpg

Have a great evening all!

Hey Rick buddy... and then he rounds the season off with all them awesome supers lol an your green fingers have no bounds buddy! The Cascabel is aka Rattlesnake Chilli or Borya Mirch? Mine stayed green for a good three months I think and then got nailed by the frost just as they were turning lol... I am hoping to have better luck this season!

Back